Hardest Muse Song On Guitar

Jacky Boy

I agree with Thoughts of a Dying Atheist - but only because the playing and singing simultaneously - the guitar itself with full focus on it is childsplay...Same goes for The Groove and Unnatural Selection - only laying and singing is difficult...Stockholm riff needs some slow - faster - you rock! kind of practice but it's also not hard...The only difficult thing for me was playing Falling Down intro on the acoustic (without delays and on heavy strings...)...But anyway - his guitar parts are innovative and cool - so why should they be dificult...Yeah and some parts added for live shows are quite difficult (like the crazy part between the 1st and 2nd verse of Muscle Museum at Glasto 04)...

Piano parts aren't problem for me - I've been playing piano since 6...Not even singing and playing...But generally - Muse piano parts are way harder than guitar...

I play bass and I have to say New Born was a real pain in the ass in the beginning, but after a while it gets really easy! One that gives me a bit of trouble is Futurism, but I guess I just need practice...

Come on ! I need a bassist like you...around me, no one is willing to play Muse on the bass...it was a nightmare to put my bassist through Muscle Museum, Bliss and Hysteria (still not perfect), not even talking about Knights of Cydonia, which is hell to memorise (because telling him something about moving harmony in different keys is useless)...Well I really think bass is more complicated than guitar in Muse songs...Chris is just the best ! My favourite !

Come on ! I need a bassist like you...around me, no one is willing to play Muse on the bass...it was a nightmare to put my bassist through Muscle Museum, Bliss and Hysteria (still not perfect), not even talking about Knights of Cydonia, which is hell to memorise (because telling him something about moving harmony in different keys is useless)...Well I really think bass is more complicated than guitar in Muse songs...Chris is just the best ! My favourite !

Haha :D I've only ever played TSP on an electric guitar cause I don't have one myself and I have to say.. I was surprised at how easy it was :LOL:

Well I say it's easy, because it didn't take me a lot of time to figure it out and play it, maybe 15 minutes? But I find it tricky to judge the difficulty of a song because most of the time, once you practice a little bit, it gets much much easier. So in the end you don't know what's easy and what isnt :LOL: or maybe I'm just being weird, in which case you shall ignore this :$

Well that's because you've put a lot of practice in it...For example I can play difficult parts easily and memorising is easier (on the piano especially) than easy parts just because easy parts I can read from sheets or by ear...I've never learned to play some easy classical music (like Bach Preludium N.1, or 1st Mov. of Moonlight Sonata from Beethoven) without reading it just because I could read and play it quite easily...Excuse my English though, I'm pretty sure you lot wouldn't say it in those words... :D

• 4 months later...

This is to the the posts about Stockholm Syndrome being easier than Hysteria, and is my opinion:

I have been playing guitar for about 8 years now, and I seem to have 'mastered' Hysteria, the whole lot, bass and guitar and for me (personal opinion) Stockholm Syndrome seems much harder, just faster all the way through. If you put your mind to both, I guess it'll be similar for you.

However, this is only my opinion, I havent worked as hard on Stockholm Syndrome and maybe this explains why.

TeleStrat

This is to the the posts about Stockholm Syndrome being easier than Hysteria, and is my opinion:

I have been playing guitar for about 8 years now, and I seem to have 'mastered' Hysteria, the whole lot, bass and guitar and for me (personal opinion) Stockholm Syndrome seems much harder, just faster all the way through. If you put your mind to both, I guess it'll be similar for you.

However, this is only my opinion, I havent worked as hard on Stockholm Syndrome and maybe this explains why.

TeleStrat

They are both pretty simple tbh. Micro cuts always gets me, I really struggle with the intro.

They are both pretty simple tbh. Micro cuts always gets me, I really struggle with the intro.

I love playing Micro Cuts. Way easier than both Hysteria and SS for me. Goes to show how it varies person to person :LOL:

I think one of my strengths in guitar playing is the sort of picking movement you see in Micro Cuts verse, TOADA and so on

Tapping I completely fail at

I love playing Micro Cuts. Way easier than both Hysteria and SS for me. Goes to show how it varies person to person :LOL:

I think one of my strengths in guitar playing is the sort of picking movement you see in Micro Cuts verse, TOADA and so on

Yeah it is strange. No other song really troubles me apart from that pesky Micro Cuts intro, maybe I should just sit down one day and spend a few hours perfecting it.

Exact opposite, I find picking like that really hard, maybe I just need to practice it for a bit.

It's sort of got to the stage where my playing is limited more by my picking hand than the fretting one.

I used to have problems with Plug in Baby, but then got there in the end. Hysteria, found that easy, as it's not too quick. I'm still having problems with Stockholm Syndrome. But only the riff in it, not the verse/chorus/solo, which seems kinda odd...

Agitated can be quite difficult on the verses and pre-outro simply because of the speed that it's played.

The Invincible solo though, it has to be said, is probably the hardest piece by Muse in my opinion. Remembering where the next tapping position is as well as being able to make the stretches whilst having to keep the timing of the whammy octaves right all at the same time just makes my brain go blank.

I remember trying to do that New Born live solo the first time, short circuited my brain. :LOL:

Can't play Screenager at all. Also that one stupid chord in Hyper Music's Chorus.

I can't play Screenager, specifically the pre chorus bit. Physically cannot play the tabs I've seen of it

THis is exactly like me. Micro Cuts, TOADA, CE Interlude and Chorus I love playing and can do really well but Live New Born Solo and the Invincible solo are just garbage for me. I can't tap to save my life.

I find Dead Star near impossible through the verses picking every note twice like how it's recorded. Its difficult enough constantly picking notes at that speed anyway but changing string every other note just gets ridiculous...

I'm not even sure if Matt played it like that or if there's some clever use of delay or something similar going on, never thought about it much to be honest and difficult to tell from the early live videos

I find Dead Star near impossible through the verses picking every note twice like how it's recorded. Its difficult enough constantly picking notes at that speed anyway but changing string every other note just gets ridiculous...

I'm not even sure if Matt played it like that or if there's some clever use of delay or something similar going on, never thought about it much to be honest and difficult to tell from the early live videos

It's a delay ;)

yeah i kind of assumed it must be...but i dont have delay and no harm in trying it. I can get the speed to start with but no way can i keep it for a whole verse

Well until then if you're just going for fun you can just hit each note once like the earlier versions of the song.

Dead star - thats delay and it sounds killer. One of my favourite Muse rythm guitar parts...:)

I don't find any Muse song too difficult on either piano or guitar (music is my life :D ) but some are particularly hard playing and singing along. You lot mentioned Micro cuts - easy guitar but hard as hell getting it right on time and clean while singing it - I guess it's also me - I don't play much acoustic and I think playing acoustic guitar makes those arpeggiated parts easier. Same goes for TotDA, SMBH, Unnatural Selection (took me two hours synchronising), the outro of Knights od Cydonia (different rythm on guitar and on vocals) but the biggest pain in the ar*e for me is Hyper Music chorus...It's really hard not to watch your fingers (which makes your vocals bad, let alone your stage performance). I really admire Matt on this one, he's just amazing !

But the biggest Muse challenge for me was those Rhodes piano parts in verses and chorus of Butterflies and Hurricanes (those on the record - that paradiddle stuff) together with vocals. It's just so distracting ! But anyway it's my favourite song so...what the hell !

Dead star - thats delay and it sounds killer. One of my favourite Muse rythm guitar parts...:)

I don't find any Muse song too difficult on either piano or guitar (music is my life :D ) but some are particularly hard playing and singing along. You lot mentioned Micro cuts - easy guitar but hard as hell getting it right on time and clean while singing it - I guess it's also me - I don't play much acoustic and I think playing acoustic guitar makes those arpeggiated parts easier. Same goes for TotDA, SMBH, Unnatural Selection (took me two hours synchronising), the outro of Knights od Cydonia (different rythm on guitar and on vocals) but the biggest pain in the ar*e for me is Hyper Music chorus...It's really hard not to watch your fingers (which makes your vocals bad, let alone your stage performance). I really admire Matt on this one, he's just amazing !

But the biggest Muse challenge for me was those Rhodes piano parts in verses and chorus of Butterflies and Hurricanes (those on the record - that paradiddle stuff) together with vocals. It's just so distracting ! But anyway it's my favourite song so...what the hell !

I'd like to hear you cover some stuff... seeing as a couple of things you point out are piss easy, the HM chorus and the Dead Star verse, which isn't even guitar (I don't think) in the studio recording. :p

Archived