Hardest Muse Song On Guitar

Jacky Boy

I'd like to hear you cover some stuff... seeing as a couple of things you point out are piss easy, the HM chorus and the Dead Star verse, which isn't even guitar (I don't think) in the studio recording. :p

Dead star verse isn't hard - hard to get that sound maybe...But have you tried playing and singing HM chorus along? The guitar alone is easy...Or maybe I play it wrong :pope:

We're kind of practising Plug in Baby (well, our bassist is really lame so I don't know if we ever want to put that on youtube...). I hate those backing track youtube videos. What are they for? If don't put something new in those songs it's just useless...But maybe I'll record Take a Bow or Butterflies and Hurricanes on piano, because I think it sounds great and IMHO better than the original synthesizers/rhodes (piano rules ! ).

Dead star - thats delay and it sounds killer. One of my favourite Muse rythm guitar parts...:)

Agree with this. Clean guitar + short analog delay + a slow phase = bee-you-tee-full! :happy:

Can't understand the bit about finding the Hyper Music chorus hard though. :erm:

Dead star verse isn't hard - hard to get that sound maybe...But have you tried playing and singing HM chorus along? The guitar alone is easy...Or maybe I play it wrong :pope:

We're kind of practising Plug in Baby (well, our bassist is really lame so I don't know if we ever want to put that on youtube...). I hate those backing track youtube videos. What are they for? If don't put something new in those songs it's just useless...But maybe I'll record Take a Bow or Butterflies and Hurricanes on piano, because I think it sounds great and IMHO better than the original synthesizers/rhodes (piano rules ! ).

Yeah I have, and I did it fine, this coming from a guy that finds it ridiculously hard to sing and play at the same time. :LOL:

But the biggest Muse challenge for me was those Rhodes piano parts in verses and chorus of Butterflies and Hurricanes (those on the record - that paradiddle stuff) together with vocals. It's just so distracting !

Agreed. It's the only Muse song I've had trouble playing and singing along with at the same time.

Hysteria, Stockholm Syndrome, both of those I don't find very hard at all, it's just a repeated pattern you need to get under your fingers.

For me, the Hyper Music chorus is just ridiculously hard.

Hyper Music chorus is hard if you don't look at your fingers. And as a frontman it is essential not to look at them too often. I've got a super-cardiode mic and for that screaming stuff like HM chorus it's essential to sing from a certain distance but directly at the mic - that sounds best. So it's hard to make it perfect - both guitar and singing on that one...

Stockholm and bass line of Hysteria are IMHO simple when you do them slowly and then speed it up...But the coolest bass line is Bliss !

I'd like to hear you cover some stuff... seeing as a couple of things you point out are piss easy, the HM chorus and the Dead Star verse, which isn't even guitar (I don't think) in the studio recording. :p

Dead Star verse on the studio version is guitar

Hyper Music chorus is hard if you don't look at your fingers. And as a frontman it is essential not to look at them too often. I've got a super-cardiode mic and for that screaming stuff like HM chorus it's essential to sing from a certain distance but directly at the mic - that sounds best. So it's hard to make it perfect - both guitar and singing on that one...

Stockholm and bass line of Hysteria are IMHO simple when you do them slowly and then speed it up...But the coolest bass line is Bliss !

Dat Bliss bassline. Me gusta

E| -

B| 6

G| 5

D| 3

A| 5

D| -

That one? Just try and work on including that finger more in your playing. I used to only be able to use the main three and then just decided to spend ages working on including that finger more. It's still not perfect for lead work so I need to improve it more, but it makes chords a lot easier anyway.

Yup that one.

Odd thing is that I can play Micro Cuts pretty decently, which also has 'unconventional' chords. It's just the quick change from that little riff to that chord that gets me, I only manage to play that chord correctly 25% of the times I try it.

Practice is needed.

Ah, yeah, just stick with it. The good thing about that one if you're struggling with it is that you can use the time before it where you just play the open bottom D to get your fingers in position. But as you say, if you can play the Micro Cuts chorus which is a lot more tricky, you shouldn't have too much trouble with it really. ;)

E| -

B| 6

G| 5

D| 3

A| 5

D| -

That one? Just try and work on including that finger more in your playing. I used to only be able to use the main three and then just decided to spend ages working on including that finger more. It's still not perfect for lead work so I need to improve it more, but it makes chords a lot easier anyway.

What song is that chord in?

Archived