How do people respond when you tell them you are a Muse fan?

itzmoe

I take back what I said before, lots of my friends had positive reactions!

Of course, most of them didn't know much songs, but anyway I made them heard more songs and liked it ^^

And one of them who didn't know about them know likes them a lot ^^

Everyone I know seems to have the odd song on their Ipod but it's often cause thye just downloaded BHAR after they played GH and since I started college however everyone seems to like em and I miss being the only person I know who listened to em. :(

Also my mates laugh at matts voice and say FOB is superior... but apparently SMBH is ok

Hmm, lets see what responses I get...

"That's cool....wait, who?"

"What the hell are you talking about?!"

"Ooooo Muse? I love their song Supermassive Black Hole! Wasn't it in Twilight?" :facepalm:

"The lead singer has a weird last name..." (I slapped that person across the face. And it was one of my best friends!)

"Never heard of them...nor will I ever hear them." (Are you kidding me?!)

"Oh, um, cool...erm...who the hell are you even talking about?!"

"They sound emo..."

"Muse?! There that Twilight band!" (:mad:)

"I like Muse." Me: "Really?! What songs do you like?" Then I go babbling on about all the songs I love. Then the persons like, "Oh I only know their song Supermassive Black Hole. You know from Twilight." I give them a look of disappointment then walk away cursing.

I only got 1 good response from my best friends cousin who loves them too.

"Muse? I love them. I love their albums, BHAR along with Absolution and OoS. There amazing! Glad I found someone else who loves them.

Then I gave them a big grin then hugged them.

The scene:

KOC is playing in the background. Sing-a-long ensues when a daft friend says daft thing.

Friend: Who sings this song?

Me: Muse

Friend: OHhh yeah, I love The Muse :facepalm::LOL:

Mostly my friends think I'm bonkers cause they think Muse's music is shit; but argh, fuck 'em.

Most people here dont know who they are. But I didnt find out till recently one of my friends loves them...how did I not know? When she saw me listening to Muse she sad "I love Muse! I remember when Hysteria first came out. That's a great song. I also own BH&R. That's a fantastic album." She really IS a Muse fan. :) She's my music buddy! I was also in a store with my Muse shirt on and the cashier said "So you like the band Muse right?" "I love them. Do you read twilight?" to which I replied with a big no. she then said "Good. Don't waste your time with that! You have good music taste." Ah...it was nice to know there are some real fans around here. ;)

someone i know: "ohh i love muse! that "knight of cydonia or w/e it's called is awesome!" (-.-)

later while talking about something, matt bellamy is mentioned

same person that i know: "who the hell is matt bellamy?"

you don't really want to be their friends anymore....

someone i know: "ohh i love muse! that "knight of cydonia or w/e it's called is awesome!" (-.-)

later while talking about something, matt bellamy is mentioned

same person that i know: "who the hell is matt bellamy?"

you don't really want to be their friends anymore....

:LOL:

I have a same kind of friend... Or even worse. She goes "yeaaaahhh Muse, they're greaaattt!" and stuff (depending on how many Muse fans are around her), but then one day we were watching some young Belgian band at a small festival, they were playing a song that reminded me of KoC so I told her, and she goes: "Knights of Cydonia? Don't know their music that well!" :facepalm:

Its a miracle that so many people are familiar with Muse in my school.

Some of them are even fans!

If people don't really know them in the US, it's very unlikely to find someone who does in Israel.

I'm not saying EVERYONE has to be a Muse fan, but (regarding response #3) I hate when people say they LOVE any band when they've only heard one/two of their songs. That just means they like the SONG (it's kind of like saying you LOVE sushi when the only thing you've tried is a California Roll, which is annoying too).

Maybe it's just me, but I'm usually not quick to claim that I'm a fan of a band until I become more familiar with their discography. I don't think you can make a good judgment of a band's music by just listening to one or two songs, especially when it's a band who has produced several albums already.

I wonder if anyone deals with this too and/or feels the same way.

What happens with bands like The Fall who've done like 37 studio albums, at what point do you claim to be a 'fan'?

Nobody gives a flying fuck if I'm a Muse fan :erm: It's hardly satanic industrial stuff.

My best friend used to say they were depressing

Yeah, I have had a few people say they are really depressing and angry. Majority of them have only heard a bit of one song...

Ususally I get, 'what are muse?' but more people are learning about them and I have managed to convert quite a few people! :D

Here's a response I had from today that's really made me happy: :awesome:

My friend: "hey, are you talking about Muse? I was listening to Zane Lowe and I heard him talk about Muse, they're from down here aren't they. (yeah I'm from Devon btw) They sound pretty awesome even though I've never heard any of their songs properly. Can you recommend one of their albums so that I can get into them before their new album?"

Me: *hits the roof with happiness* :D

Oh yeah, this friend of mine hates Twilight with a passion so no worries there! ;)

It's a bit annoying, but when people find out I'm a huge Muse fan, they always respond with either:

1, "I love 'Supermassive Black Hole/'Knights of Cydonia!''"

2. "I've never heard of them."

3."Yeah, I love The Muse! (yes, THE Muse! This one's especially irritating, because they obviously don't love Muse that much, since they can't even get the band's name right. This comment is also usually followed by response #1)."

It's probabaly because I live in the US, but I was wondering if anyone else gets similar responses? What do you hear most often?

I'm not saying EVERYONE has to be a Muse fan, but (regarding response #3) I hate when people say they LOVE any band when they've only heard one/two of their songs. That just means they like the SONG (it's kind of like saying you LOVE sushi when the only thing you've tried is a California Roll, which is annoying too).

Maybe it's just me, but I'm usually not quick to claim that I'm a fan of a band until I become more familiar with their discography. I don't think you can make a good judgment of a band's music by just listening to one or two songs, especially when it's a band who has produced several albums already.

I wonder if anyone deals with this too and/or feels the same way.

Not much different in the UK where I live.:p

Archived