Best Album

Meisver

Quickly done without too much thought:

1. Origin of Symmetry/Absolution

3. Black Holes & Revelations

4. Showbiz/The Resistance/Simulation Theory

7. The 2nd Law

8. Drones

I think I'm about the same, though I have an on-off relationship with BHAR.

Quickly done without too much thought:

1. Origin of Symmetry/Absolution

4. Showbiz/The Resistance/Simulation Theory

7. The 2nd Law

8. Drones

Fine.

1. Origin of Symmetry

2. Absolution

4. The Resistance

5. Showbiz

6. Simulation Theory

7. The 2nd Law

8. Drones

1. Origin Of Symmetry

2. Absolution

Easy.

Then it gets really REALLY tough. Drones, for me, is pretty flawless DI through Revolt inclusive. That said, if you cut it there it would lose a lot of ground on the basis of Revolt not being a good album closer. Dead Inside, Reapers and The Handler are absolutely vintage Muse for me, arguably as good as anything they've ever done.

Black Holes & Revelations has incredible highs - Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique, City Of Delusion and Hoodoo. And while they're not my favourite songs of theirs by any means, it has some of Muse's most iconic and best pop songs - Starlight, Supermassive, Knights. I do love Assassin, but I can't forgive its butchery. Such a shame it didn't come about during the Abso era or even Drones era. And then you have Soldier's Poem, which is just fine, Invincible which is meh and Exo-Politics which is utterly hateful.

Simulation Theory I can't see ageing spectacularly for me, despite the fact I really do like quite a lot of it. Algorithm, Propaganda, Break It To Me and The Void are excellent. I love the acoustic version of SH, The Dark Side is fine but the rest are so forgettable, except Thought Contagion, which is memorable for just how atrocious it is. It really is a horrific blott on the album.

Showbiz is wonderful. It's so bold for a debut album and I love the genuine sense of youthful exuberance that runs right through it, as well as the remarkably well developed emotional themes of the album. That said, Sober, Escape and Overdue just aren't very good and detract from the album as a whole. Muscle Museum, Showbiz and HT&ILY are top 20 Muse though.

The Resistance is just a bit dull. Even its highs, for me, MK Ultra, isn't all that memorable. I basically never ever listen to The Resistance. That is perhaps the best measure of it.

The 2nd Law is without doubt their weakest album. There isn't a single song on T2L that I ever get amped up about. Supremacy is fine, but it failed to hit the highs I hoped for from it. Survival is fun, but just stupid and cringeworthy. Animals has all the attributes I look for, but it leaves me cold and the outro is just SO dull, how they made a riff like that so boring I don't know. I do like and appreciate Chris's songs, but they weren't treated with great care. Perhaps the best bit of the album is Isolated System, one of Matt's best compositions. The fact I haven't mentioned half the album speaks for itself. I do think the final third of Madness is beautiful though.

So, on that basis...

4. Drones

5. Showbiz

6. Simulation Theory

7. The Resistance

8. The 2nd Law

1. Black Holes & Revelations

Literally cannot listen to Take a Bow without wanting to listen to the entire album through start to finish. TaB, Map, Invincible, Assassin, CoD, Hoodoo and Knights are all in my top 20 songs they've ever done with Map probably taking the number one spot while Starlight and SMBH despite what Starlight's become live are two of their best pop songs.

2. Origin of Symmetry

Love it but it gets edged out very slightly by Black Holes. Main issues with it are Feeling Good, Bliss live being one of my top five but having the synth arpeggios outro on the album version which ruins it for me for some reason. Hyper Music, Dark Shines and Citizen Erased are just absolutely perfect though.

3. Absolution

The production of Abso means it doesn't get quite as high for me as it does for a lot of people. Songs like Stockholm, B&H, RBS, Apocalypse Please, Sing for Absolution, Fury and TSP are all phenomenal but all sound so much better in live versions. Time is Running Out and Hysteria are perfect Muse pop-rock songs too.

4. Simulation Theory

The lows are slightly dreadful - Something Human hasn't aged well for me already and Dig Down's regular version is ghastly - but the highs far outweigh them. Algorithm and The Void are splendid, both versions of TDS are up among my top 10 while both Propaganda and Break it to Me are boss. I'll be interested to see how it ages for me and whether it stays up in fourth or drops down.

5. Drones

Dead Inside and The Handler are just phenomenal. Reapers, Psycho and Revolt are all decent. The rest is meh. Aftermath, the Globalist and Drones could've all been done without and Mercy is just :$

6. The Resistance

I do find TR and Drones both alternate depending on how I'm feeling.

Uprising, MK ULTRA and Exogenesis Parts 1 & 3 are fantastic songs and I don't mind Unnatural Selection or UD either but Resistance, Guiding Light, IBTY and Exo Part 2 just aren't very good.

7. Showbiz

I love half the album but the rest I can do without honestly. Showbiz, Sunburn, MM, Cave, Uno and Falling Down are all great. Possibly controversial placing but I'm not too arsed.

8. The 2nd Law

Last minute of Madness, Panic Station, the guitar work in Animals and the second verse/chorus of Follow Me are amazing while both parts of T2L are listenable (if a little long) but I just find the production bland and the likes of Survival, Big Freeze and Save Me force me to really steer clear.

Absolution

Origin of Symmetry

Black Holes and Revelations

Drones (Possibly based on listening to the first half and trying to ignore most of the second)

The 2nd Law

Showbiz

The Resistance

Simulation Theory (The Dark Side is good. A few other songs are OK but nothing that ranks with their best.)

1. Origin of Symmetry (top 3 tracks: New Born, Bliss, Citizen Erased)

2. Absolution (Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Ruled By Secrecy)

3. Black Holes and Revelations (Take a Bow, Map of the Problematique, Knights of Cydonia)

4. Drones (Dead Inside, Reapers, The Handler)

5. Showbiz (Sunburn, Muscle Museum, Showbiz)

6. Simulation Theory (Algorithm, Blockades, The Void)

7. The Resistance (Uprising, MK Ultra, Overture)

8. The 2nd Law (Supremacy, Animals, Isolated System)