Best Album

Meisver

Absolution and BH&R are two albums I never feel the need to skip on

I ranked showbiz above OoS as there are fewer skip tracks. I've never got the obsession people seem to have with origin. Absolution is the album that made me love them I think that's why it will always be my number one and why I love everything about it.

Wow people really don't like ST with a passion ay.

I wasn't that big on the album at first either but it's grown on me tremendously. Maybe ranking it above Abso was a bit unjust but as of right now I think I prefer ST's highs (BITM - how fkn lit is this song, Propaganda, TDS, Algorithm, Pressure), to BH&R's (TAB, COD, KOC, Starlight).

Even ST's lows which were singles (DD, Thought Contagion, Something Human) sounded so much better and cohesive when played with the rest of the album. It's only GUAF that hasn't really aged well with me.

As for the ratings I gave, it's /10 among Muse's music and not music in general, i.e. Muse's top albums would naturally be 10/10. With hindsight, a perfect score for ST is probably a little overblown. If I were to revisit the ratings in another month, it would probably swap with Abso (9.5), but at the moment I'm still in a daze for ST, so I'm gonna enjoy it and replay the songs in the album until I can't stand it. Only then would I probably be able to judge it for what it really is

Wow people really don't like ST with a passion ay.

I wouldn't say that I dislike ST with a passion. The lack of passion one way or the other is the main problem. I don't feel a strong connection with any of the songs. The album just whizzes by without leaving much of an impression.

It's like you just listened to a modern rock radio station for an hour. Afterward, you're pretty sure that they played some Imagine Dragons, 21 Pilots, X-Ambassadors, Bastille, maybe a Coldplay song and an advertisement for some dietary supplement but you don't really remember anything specifically. It was just there and now it's not. Muse used to be better than that.

If I'm using your 10-point Muse rating system I'll give ST a solid 4 because, taken as a whole, it's almost as good as a bunch of average Muse songs.

Absolution and Black Holes are this pair in the peak era of Muse (Black Holes I think fits in there in retrospect) that properly combine their energetic past selves with the theatrics that would define them onwards. Just for the sake of time when it was released one leans more towards the old and one towards the new, and anyone who favorites either tends to do so for those reasons.

I do just prefer Absolution for the older lean. I don't think that's really hard to see the reasoning for its adoration? Even the poppier songs have some power to them and it's the last time for a while we'd get something properly personal and emotional. It's not necessarily an album I listen to all the way through but it's one where I love every song on. Although that reason has made me question whether I'd really have Origin top it.

—-

TIRO - actually a great sleezy pop rock vibe for the verses and bridge but the choruses and pre-choruses are mindnumbingly dull and repetitive

:eek::eek::supersad::supersad:

TIRO is one of the songs I'm the most sentimentally attached to, and the pre-chorus is an iconic Muse moment.

Listened to an album a day recently, not done that for years.

1. Black Holes and Revelations

2. Origin of Symmetry

3. Absolution

4. Simulation Theory

5. Showbiz

6. Drones

7. The 2nd Law

8. The Resistance

- BHaR and OoS are interchangeable depending on mood.

- Abso obviously has many outstanding moments but I do find it a bit of a slog, pacing wise.

- I feel ST and Showbiz will be battling for 4th place forever but the low points of the latter are keeping it at 5th for now.

- Drones has some of their best moments in recent times but also some of their very worst.

- I like most of 2nd Law but it really tails off around the second half.

- TR is just a bit...dull. Exo 1, 3 and MK Ultra are the only songs that really stand out for me.

Screams in Unnatural Selectionese

It's good on the album but I much the live versions eclipse it, it doesn't have the same punch as something like New Born or The Handler in their album versions. The same could be said for MK though to be fair, both are a bit thin but I just prefer MK in general.