How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

I totally get the vengeance thing... imagine you were an athlete who has previously competed on a world stage but come, say, second... s/he will be going into that race thinking 'this is my time, I will not be beaten this time... vengeance will be mine!

Totally get it.

I can see it more in the context of rivalry between the top athletes in a certain sport. Like, "you may win last time, but this time I'll clinch top spot for sure. Vengeance shall be mine" kind-of-thing. And he won't "forgive" himself if he were ever to lose again.

Or something like that.

It's incredibly cheesy, and really bad. The instrumental is great, but the backing lyrics and main lyrics are just horrible and corny. I wouldn't listen to this song in public. It's unfortunate if it's on the new album.

So, Elbow have a minute long
of their song for the Olympics. I love Elbow, but this song just doesn't do it. It makes Survival a bit better and gives me a bit more hope for the album!

I'm curious to what the entire song sounds like…has it been used before, though? I feel like I've heard it before.

I finally burned the song to a CD and risked the annoyance of my neighbours by listening it loudly on my 5-piece mini home theater stereo...thingy. The bass sounds amazing and guitars awesomely beefy :awesome: Although, now every "s"-, "th"- and "f"-sound Matt sings are ridiculously prominent "RaSSSe,lifhe's a raSSSe", "I light the fhuSSe", "reveal my swrenghthhh" :LOL:

Yeah, they added some odd echo-y emphasis on those sounds (and his breathing). Once you notice, you can't stop noticing.

I'm conflicted about this song.

On the one hand, I like the instrumentals a lot. But I'm not sure about the tone of it.

Muse were always over the top, but since the Resistance it just feels like a different kind of cheesiness and over the top compared to BHaR and Absolution. Sometimes feels like trying to hard or something.

Just hope it's this one song that feels like this on the album.

Yeah, this is how I feel about the song.

I really like the last couple of minutes when Matt decides to stop singing but the "ba ba ba ba" choir and the lyrics are just so embarrassing. Honestly, it sounds like a five year old could re-create the first minute or so on a Casio keyboard.

(Sorry to all you five year olds)

What's wrong with lighting a fuse? Given that it's muse, I think it's more likely to be associated to pyrotechnics :LOL:

Seriously, I know the lyrics are pretty simple but errr connecting that to terrorism? :stunned: And then Muse are the ones accused of taking things too far lol

I was thinking more of a metaphore for internal fire, or lighting the fuse of pride in your country if you win...
JOkes aside, I think that's actually what Matt meant.

Btw, of course I wasn't saying Niall was accusing them of being terrorists. I just thought that as far as interpretations go, that was pushing it a bit too far, dunno. The lyrics aren't exactly poetry but... yeah.

A bit OT, but one of the most :eek: examples I remember was when a Finnish band "The Crash" were due to release their single "New York" in September 2001. Great song, but the timing could not have been more unfortunate. They ended up delaying.

Anyway, I get what Niall is saying, although I didn't connect the "light the fuse" thing to terrorism. I think the vengeance bit is the most cringe-worthy line, I don't know what Matt was thinking.

Bush was set to release Golden State near 9/11, and I remember the album getting delayed due to there being a shadow of a jet plane on the cover. That was later removed.

Honestly, "light the fuse" is way easier to "misconstrue" than almost ANY of the stuff that was banned after 9/11, in the US at least.

We didn't have TV programing, concerts or movies for months ffs...

I don't think Niall is accusing them of being terrorist. It's just that there probably will be some either touchy or paranoid people that could make the connection.

I know a lot of people here are crazy enough to.

I was googling for reviews of Survival for Musewiki and there are tons of ridiculous illuminati people and other people with a loose grip on reality that have made ridiculous connections. Including this lovely site whch speculates that Survival is in fact the "theme song of the ANTICHRIST".

I was googling for reviews of Survival for Musewiki and there are tons of ridiculous illuminati people and other people with a loose grip on reality that have made ridiculous connections. Including this lovely site whch speculates that Survival is in fact the "theme song of the ANTICHRIST".

Yup, that's pretty much the people I was talking about. Especially with an event like the Olympics which has been having tons of conspiracy nuts circulating theories around it I'd be more surprised if reactions like this didn't happen.

Yup, that's pretty much the people I was talking about. Especially with an event like the Olympics which has been having tons of conspiracy nuts circulating theories around it I'd be more surprised if reactions like this didn't happen.

I think people like these can even relate NSC to these kind of stuff. Talk about being over obsessed... :stunned:

Well, "If we die..." :chuckle:

Archived