How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Ironically, lots of people have been taking Muse's lyrics seriously in some of their 'sillier' songs, for lack of a better word. Bit far-fetched to suggest there's a bombing implication in Survival, just as some people also thought 'fat cats' and the rest of Uprising was meant to be genuine :chuckle:. It's hard to take any of those lyrics seriously when the person singing them has flashing glasses and glittery suits on! Just listening to Uprising, it comes across as tongue-in-cheek or half-hearted - hardly a serious political statement.

Matt seems almost earnest when he talks about the lyrics to this song, but again, it's too hard to take him seriously. The song is called Survival ffs - the Olympics aren't about battling to the death, so the title in itself is nuts, which is why it's coming across as more of a parody :p.

:rolleyes: so how does understanding an inappropriate literal meaning of a metaphor equate to "sick"?

Because these things happen all around the world everyday and you relate a Muse lyric to that

Perhaps not sick but definitely exaggerative bullshit

Because these things happen all around the world everyday and you relate a Muse lyric to that

Perhaps not sick but definitely exaggerative bullshit

What things happen around the word everyday? You know about the extreme security measures being taken for the Olympics in relation to terrorist fears right?

What things happen around the word everyday? You know about the extreme security measures being taken for the Olympics in relation to terrorist fears right?

Oh for god's sake. Yes I know about all the security stuff.

I just didn't like the way you related it, I'm sure you can get over it, after all, there's been enough people that disagree with half of the stuff you do on here :facepalm:

What are you trying to bring up now? Jeez. Leave the ad hominem stuff out. I just thought it was a bit of a weird/poor choice of metaphor for an event where security concerns have warranted missiles being fitted to tower blocks.

What are you trying to bring up now? Jeez. Leave the ad hominem stuff out. I just thought it was a bit of a weird/poor choice of metaphor for an event where security concerns have warranted missiles being fitted to tower blocks.

And I thought it was a bit stupid of you to interpret it that way.

We done?

I assumed "I'll light the fuse" was used the same way that expressions such as "ignite a spark" or to "light a fire" under someone are. Obviously it's not literal. I would think that security reading anything into those lyrics would be a bit over the top.

Actually, the first thing I thought of was fireworks.

I assumed "I'll light the fuse" was used the same way that expressions such as "ignite a spark" or to "light a fire" under someone are. Obviously it's not literal. I would think that security reading anything into those lyrics would be a bit over the top.

Actually, the first thing I thought of was fireworks.

Indeed.

Wait a minute...the photo of Matt in the Guy Fawkes mask on the last tour, now "I'll light the fuse" in the official Olympic song? OMG Matt's gonna blow up the Houses of Parliament!! :eek:

ITS ALL A CONSPIRACY

I was at the '96 Atlanta Olympics 2 hours before the bomb went off in Centennial Park. Scary! :pope:

Sorry, OT. I imagine security is much tighter these days.

I think my mom saw the torch running for that one when it came by here. I was 2 years old at the time :stunned:

Archived