How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

:LOL: oh, you guys...yahh the stadiums going to blow up

ANYWAYS, comment on survival vid made me lol->

How the hell did Matt hit that last note? I'm going to assume it worked out something like this:

Yes I'm gonna WIIIIIIN!!!!

(At this point Matt goes through an irreversable gender change.)

-thehappyspaceman

I fear the moment when my family find out about Survival. I'll be buried alive in ridicule.

Wish all of you luck. :LOL:

I don't think it'll be that bad for me, if anything were to occur. Anyways, I'm the only one around my crowd of friends who listens to Muse (often), so, doesn't worry me that much. :happy: I don't care though, I like 'Survival'.

As far as I know, there residents of the buildings that are to be fitted with missiles are currently taking legal actions against the MoD.

And I thought it was a bit stupid of you to interpret it that way.

We done?

But why? How is it stupid to know the literal definition of the metaphor and something that was on the news and be aware that they are connected ideas?

I assumed "I'll light the fuse" was used the same way that expressions such as "ignite a spark" or to "light a fire" under someone are. Obviously it's not literal. I would think that security reading anything into those lyrics would be a bit over the top.

Actually, the first thing I thought of was fireworks.

Yes obviously, no one is stupid enough to actually think Matt is planning a terrorist attack.

But we're living in a world where television and cinema and indeed music were for about a year cleansed of all very vague references to anything that might evoke thoughts of 9/11. There were situations where things were forced to be changed because they were very, very vaguely linked to planes crashing or buildings collapsing or just because they referenced something vaguely bad. Just look at Jimmy Eat World and The Strokes, the connection is super tenuous, but my point is people get sensitive and nevertheless do make those connections. Google the Clear Channel memorandum on lyrically questionable songs.

I'm not vouching for their validity in censoring the media or that there's any reason to be overly sensitive with vague interpretations of words or lyrics, but that's the context I'm speaking from, and why the lyrics seemed inappropriate.

But we're living in a world where television and cinema and indeed music were for about a year cleansed of all very vague references to anything that might evoke thoughts of 9/11. There were situations where things were forced to be changed because they were very, very vaguely linked to planes crashing or buildings collapsing or just because they referenced something vaguely bad.

A bit OT, but one of the most :eek: examples I remember was when a Finnish band "The Crash" were due to release their single "New York" in September 2001. Great song, but the timing could not have been more unfortunate. They ended up delaying.

Anyway, I get what Niall is saying, although I didn't connect the "light the fuse" thing to terrorism. I think the vengeance bit is the most cringe-worthy line, I don't know what Matt was thinking.

A bit OT, but one of the most :eek: examples I remember was when a Finnish band "The Crash" were due to release their single "New York" in September 2001. Great song, but the timing could not have been more unfortunate. They ended up delaying.

Anyway, I get what Niall is saying, although I didn't connect the "light the fuse" thing to terrorism. I think the vengeance bit is the most cringe-worthy line, I don't know what Matt was thinking.

Yeah, I don't get the vengeance bit at all, and the rest of it I've come to not mind so much.

Anyway, the thing about the missiles is just…woah. :stunned:

Yeah, that's the weirdest one imo. I can buy the idea of self centered determination to exceed all others but that's maybe a little too callous :LOL:

Guest bellamylookalike

I don't believe the lyrics are "bad", they're pretty much in the vein of

We are the champions

No time for losers

'Cause we are the champions - of the world

Aren't they?

Queen even had "I consider it a challenge before the whole human race -

And I ain't gonna lose"

Survival's still sounding great too after all these listens; whereas I'd been hit by the wave of cheese from NSC by now ;)

Archived