How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

There's something about Survival that just doesn't work for me the same way Queen does.

Probably because it feels genuine when Queen does "it" because it's their thing, but when Muse does it, it just seems a bit too pretentious, I suppose.

The vocals make up for that though :D

Agreed. :happy:

Probably because it feels genuine when Queen does "it" because it's their thing, but when Muse does it, it just seems a bit too pretentious, I suppose.

Perhaps. Haven't gotten it all in words yet.

And yes, the vocals were fantastic. Best part of the song for me. I kind of hope the rest of the album won't be the bad lyrically though, especially if the singing will be that good.

I have to say... his vocals in this are the best vocals he's recorded to date (in my opinion)

I think because his voice has matured a bit, he can build on his high and low notes more- the falsetto is amazing and the second 'ill reveal my strength' gives me goose bumps!!

I finally burned the song to a CD and risked the annoyance of my neighbours by listening it loudly on my 5-piece mini home theater stereo...thingy. The bass sounds amazing and guitars awesomely beefy :awesome: Although, now every "s"-, "th"- and "f"-sound Matt sings are ridiculously prominent "RaSSSe,lifhe's a raSSSe", "I light the fhuSSe", "reveal my swrenghthhh" :LOL:

I think because his voice has matured a bit, he can build on his high and low notes more- the falsetto is amazing and the second 'ill reveal my strength' gives me goose bumps!!

this bit is epic as well:

I won't pull ah(hiccups)ead

this bit is epic as well:

I won't pull ah(hiccups)ead

I hope when they play it at the Olympics he gives it his all. I think the start will be almost pitch perfect as it is quite slow and he has time to get his words out hah.

I really hope he pulls of all the falsetto!

But why do i think he will do his usual trick of starting it and then scream it miles away from his mic :stunned:

I hope when they play it at the Olympics he gives it his all. I think the start will be almost pitch perfect as it is quite slow and he has time to get his words out hah.

I really hope he pulls of all the falsetto!

But why do i think he will do his usual trick of starting it and then scream it miles away from his mic :stunned:

I think he's not allowed to sing live... no one is at the olympics if I remember correct:stunned:

I think he's not allowed to sing live... no one is at the olympics if I remember correct:stunned:

That article was made earlier this year, and it said 'most acts'. As Muse have the official single and they pretty much refuse to mime, i doubt they will be one of the acts who will be made to perform to playback!

I don't believe the lyrics are "bad", they're pretty much in the vein of

We are the champions

No time for losers

'Cause we are the champions - of the world

Aren't they?

Queen even had "I consider it a challenge before the whole human race -

And I ain't gonna lose"

Survival's still sounding great too after all these listens; whereas I'd been hit by the wave of cheese from NSC by now ;)

My Dad reckons they're channeling "Flash Gordon era" Queen- he doesn't approve...

My Dad reckons they're channeling "Flash Gordon era" Queen- he doesn't approve...

My Mum said the end of the song reminded her of Flash Gordon era. She doesn't mind it though. But she dislikes Muse and Queen, so i have no idea why she likes the song

Guest bellamylookalike

It's all good. Maybe we're one step closer to Muse doing the soundtrack for the Highlander remake...

That article was made earlier this year, and it said 'most acts'. As Muse have the official single and they pretty much refuse to mime, i doubt they will be one of the acts who will be made to perform to playback!

well.. either they sing live.. or they do

again I wouldn't mind!:LOL:

Yeah, I don't get the vengeance bit at all, and the rest of it I've come to not mind so much.

Anyway, the thing about the missiles is just…woah. :stunned:

I totally get the vengeance thing... imagine you were an athlete who has previously competed on a world stage but come, say, second... s/he will be going into that race thinking 'this is my time, I will not be beaten this time... vengeance will be mine!

Totally get it.

I'm conflicted about this song.

On the one hand, I like the instrumentals a lot. But I'm not sure about the tone of it.

Muse were always over the top, but since the Resistance it just feels like a different kind of cheesiness and over the top compared to BHaR and Absolution. Sometimes feels like trying to hard or something.

Just hope it's this one song that feels like this on the album.

Archived