Megalomania Discussion Thread

futurophu

That beautiful layered falsetto in the final verse... spine tingling.

An epic album closer....

:yesey: :yesey: :yesey:

The last minute or so of that song is AMAZING. I replay it again and again... at full volume, of course ;)

*points to keeps in sig* That "disguise" in the 2nd chorus is the freaking most epic thing ever. It kills me (in a good way)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I love Megalomania but I've always felt it sounded a bit weak/quiet compared to some other tracks on the album :$ Don't get me wrong, it's powerful as hell but it should be the loudest song on the album in my opinion. The verses always seemed way too quiet and the choruses felt like they could've been a tiny bit more powerful; like they should have been as loud as the last organ blast is now.

I love Megalomania but I've always felt it sounded a bit weak/quiet compared to some other tracks on the album :$ Don't get me wrong, it's powerful as hell but it should be the loudest song on the album in my opinion. The verses always seemed way too quiet and the choruses felt like they could've been a tiny bit more powerful; like they should have been as loud as the last organ blast is now.

I think it's fine, the verses sound good quiet and to me the chorus still sounds massive. Maybe it could've sounded bigger, I agree that last blast on the organ is huge, but oh well.

Heartburn by Architects, now the chorus in that does sound fookin massive

this song is just...something higher. the more i listen to muse i keep getting the feeling that all other bands/singers/composers/whatever are inferior to them...maybe i'm addicted and i need help, but that's what i think.

Ditto. Definitely in my top 3, if not my fave song of Muse. :D Perfect finale for OoS. I'm getting a Megalomania lyric tattooed on my ankle when I'm older.

this song is just...something higher. the more i listen to muse i keep getting the feeling that all other bands/singers/composers/whatever are inferior to them...maybe i'm addicted and i need help, but that's what i think.

That's what I felt a few years ago when I first got into them. I've now discovered so many much better bands.

• 1 year later...

Brilliant, brilliant song. My second favorite OOS song after "Citizen Erased". Just fucking love the epic music and lyrics, but what do you think "Take off your disguise, I know that underneath it's me" means? The rest of the lyrics have a strong "anti-religious" feel to it.

Brilliant, brilliant song. My second favorite OOS song after "Citizen Erased". Just fucking love the epic music and lyrics, but what do you think "Take off your disguise, I know that underneath it's me" means? The rest of the lyrics have a strong "anti-religious" feel to it.

I always related it to what he's said regarding psychic powers and all that... essentially, no higher powers/spirits/etc exist, but it's just all extensions of our sub-conscious mind, which we can't truly tap into.

So, I always took it to mean anything we attributed to a god was just a reflection of ourselves, and maybe in his case, WANTING there to be something to attribute/blame the world on... but knowing it's hopeless (or maybe we're to blame for our own problems, and life is infact meaningless.)

Plus, he's said the song is based on wanted to find religion and not being able to, and on asking a fictional god what the point of life and proliferation was (with a life being negative sort of flare.)

And, of course, relationship issues.

• 5 months later...
I always related it to what he's said regarding psychic powers and all that... essentially, no higher powers/spirits/etc exist, but it's just all extensions of our sub-conscious mind, which we can't truly tap into.

So, I always took it to mean anything we attributed to a god was just a reflection of ourselves, and maybe in his case, WANTING there to be something to attribute/blame the world on... but knowing it's hopeless (or maybe we're to blame for our own problems, and life is infact meaningless.)

Plus, he's said the song is based on wanted to find religion and not being able to, and on asking a fictional god what the point of life and proliferation was (with a life being negative sort of flare.)

And, of course, relationship issues.

I think I understand that line more now. "Take off your disguise, I know that underneath it's me", he was referring to God. Matt's saying he himself is God. "Take off your disguise", is him telling "God" to give it up with the charade. "I know that underneath, it's me", because he knows that there is no God, or rather, in the end, we are each our own God, and we are fully responsible for what happens in our life.

Archived