Megalomania Discussion Thread

futurophu

i cant even describe how much i love megalomania, it d by far one of my favourite muse songs and i think always will be. like someone else said i limit myself for how often i can listen to it because i dont want it to ever lose its powerfulness. i just love it so much, every aspect of it is just incredible.

haha oh my god that sounds so stupid haha. but it really amazes me every time i listen to it. and to the person who asked what its about, i think i read somewhere how its saying something about religion, and implying that god isnt really there or something ("take of your disguise, i know that underneath its me") but dont quote me on that.

I love it. No idea what it is about, but the part "what are they for, they'll just grow up and break the laws you've loved" could very well be god whining about human race :D

And I agree about the "paradise comes at a price that I am not prepared to pay" - almost as epic as the Hoodoo final verses :D

It is a very anti-religious song, specifically anti-christian.

The title also relates to this:

Megalomania: a symptom of mental illness marked by delusions of greatness, wealth, etc. or an obsession with doing extravagant or grand things.

It's oroginal title was Thoughts of A Dying Atheist, funnily enough.

Oh yes, I love it, one of the best songs (lyrics) of all time to my mind! It's something that makes you think about the world and life in general. It's very dark but I like things like that. Could be about religion but also about society in general, I think. Leaders being afraid of change, "they'll just grow and break the laws you love". I love lyrics which can be interpreted differently, makes it interesting.

What's it actually about?:erm:

" the good news is, she can't have babies"

What's it about?

I've wondered whether it is about trying to work out what life is about in the context of someone who isn't religious, thinking - it can't be just to reproduce and then die, there must be more to it than that. Particularly with this:

paradise comes at a price

that i am not prepared to pay

what were we built for?

will someone tell me please?

Aww! That's the best bit I think - that almost childlike and quite pitiful plea for knowledge. The "what were we built for" bit always makes me think of being built out of lego or something! :LOL:

With the title, maybe its from the point of view of someone who feels guilty about expecting more for themselves out of life than their peers and thus thinks of themselves as being a little megalomaniac and possibly the horror of that aspect is exaggerated in the song, when probably in reality its not abnormal to feel like that.

But that may well be over-reading, it is confusing. Also I'm not sure that the lyrics have one meaning as the earlier songs were suggested in the Out of This World book to be just a group of random phrases.

I always think this bit is quite scary!

When I am gone, it won't be long before I disturb you in the dark
:eek::LOL:

I wouldn't say it's a major favourite of mine musically, its rather oppressive and gloomy, but it is an intriguing song.:)

It is a very anti-religious song, specifically anti-christian.

The title also relates to this:

Megalomania: a symptom of mental illness marked by delusions of greatness, wealth, etc. or an obsession with doing extravagant or grand things.

It's oroginal title was Thoughts of A Dying Atheist, funnily enough.

Of course if a certain Mr Bellamy and his pals hadn't had dreams of doing extravagant or grand things, they may have packed up the musical instruments and done ordinary jobs instead! ;):LOL:

How could such a young boy write such an overwhelming piece of music ? I love it madly.

I have seen or read comments from a couple of people who knew him when he was young that he was quite intense and had an old head on young shoulders, thinking about all that meaning of life stuff that most people don't start thinking about until they are quite a bit older. I'm almost sure there is a video somewhere of that comment but I don't know where.

Sorry should have multiquoted!:$

i really dont think its overrated at all.

I have seen or read comments from a couple of people who knew him when he was young that he was quite intense and had an old head on young shoulders, thinking about all that meaning of life stuff that most people don't start thinking about until they are quite a bit older. I'm almost sure there is a video somewhere of that comment but I don't know where.

Sorry should have multiquoted!:$

yeah, not that i know him or anything but matt does strike me as the kind of person who would always question things, and always be wanting to find out more about stuff and all that.

I accept with information:With the title, maybe its from the point of view of someone who feels guilty about expecting more for themselves out of life than their peers and thus thinks of themselves as being a little megalomaniac and possibly the horror of that aspect is exaggerated in the song, when probably in reality its not abnormal to feel like that.

I accept with information:With the title, maybe its from the point of view of someone who feels guilty about expecting more for themselves out of life than their peers and thus thinks of themselves as being a little megalomaniac and possibly the horror of that aspect is exaggerated in the song, when probably in reality its not abnormal to feel like that.

Sorry but can I just ask? What does "I accept with information" mean? :erm: I've seen more than one of this kind of post, I think, :unsure: and its kinda weird (sorry). Is there a language difficulty? It's just freaking me slightly.:LOL:

• 3 weeks later...

The line that someone mentioned before...

'When I am gone, it won't be long before I disturb you in the dark'

That line is so powerful, I think. Sometimes (I know, I'm weird) I stop to think about how fucked up this world is going to be (even more so than it already is) when Matt Bellamy really is gone.

Depressing notion, I know, but true. :supersad:

Archived