3 listens and it’s started to settle and flow a bit better. I think the drastic difference in familiarity of the pre-album singles and the new songs threw off the flow a bit for me. Honestly, I enjoy every song. Some far more than others, but I enjoyed DD from first listen all those months ago and I think I still stand by that. It’s catchy and pleasant, and has a bit of power. TC actually rocks in context of the album. GUAF, while not as ecstatic as Revolt, is a song I thouroughly enjoy for the same reasons. Every other song is gold though. I loved Drones to death, but I dunno, this might top it.

Now will it top OoS? Idk about that.

Bravo Muse. Bloody love this new record. As others have pointed out, it's a much more complete effort than the past couple of records. Love the progression, the theme, the tunes, and just the general 'Don't Give a Fuck' attitude to try something different. They've earnt the right to be able to do it.

'Get Up & Fight' is fucking great but totally understand why some (many) wouldn't like it. That outro vocal is just insane.

Big props from me. Might even try and snag a ticket for London Stadium now having sworn not to do another big tour show after Drones at The O2*

*Nothing against that tour BTW.:D

I'm pretty surprised. The "user review" sites are completely bashing the album (unsurprised because it's kinda fashionable to bash Muse on those without even listening) but the critical reviews are pretty damn high so far. I expected the opposite.

I'm rather negatively surprised at how many said "fans" on FB are bashing it, mainly because it's not rock enough.

This fanbase, for goodness sake...

I find it interesting that the record is dividing some of the more hardcore fanbase. With T2L and drones, sure there were differences in how people felt about certain songs (such as revolt and similar dividing tunes) but overall I feel like the community harbored a general line of thinkng about those albums. The general consensus being "T2L has fun bits but overall its a mess" and "Drones has good highs but falls flat in too many places".

With ST theres a substantial portion of the board reacting very positively, but ive also observed hardcore fans in other groups that are very entrenched on the guitar sound of early Muse and other contemporaries of theirs, who cant digest any of this. It seems to me as its the first time in a while where theres a substantial divide amongst fans of the bands early work.

I personally love it. After Dig Down and SH i was prepared to not be a fan. How wrong I was... In the context of the album, even SH works. The hell?

I actually see the hardcore fans being more positive on here and reddit. I wouldn't consider "WE NEED GUITAR" fans being hardcore.

True, the board and reddit are actually very positive. Im refering more to personal experience with groups of people who have been following the band since Absolution/Black Holes.

I know the band sometimes like to lurk the board for new releases so, boys, on the minute chance you are - well done, this is some of your best and most creative stuff. Idk where you go from here but I’m on-the-fuck-board.

Ditto.

As a mega fan of both Origin Of Symmetry and The Resistance, I have a huuuuuge crush on Simuation Theory. It feels like Christmas or my birthday or rediscovering Muse just gearing this for the first few times today. I’m floored.

Okay time for me to actually review this.

Algorithm: Definitely one of the songs I’ll end up listening to the most from this album. It’s enjoyable, but at the same time I feel like Muse didn’t really make synthwave their own in this track. Even on T2L when they were all over the place they managed to make every track their own. This feels like a random synthwave song with vocals by Matt. 7.5/10

The Dark Side: Still an enjoyable song. Not among their best, but enjoyable, lovely vocals and a pretty cool alternative version as well. 7/10

Pressure: Still a...fun song. I don’t think I’ll listen to it outside of the album much, and it doesn’t really do much for me aside from keeping me interested enough not to skip it. 6.5/10

Propaganda: Very cool. Amazing except for the “propaganda” part which i can live with. I know it’s the hook but I feel like it’s the least interesting part of the song. The last minute with the altered melody is absolutely brilliant. Oh and great backing vocals, which actually surprised me. 7.5/10

Break It To Me: I really like it at the moment but I feel like I’ll grow tired of it in just a few days. Let’s hope I’m wrong though. Lovely vocal melodies from Matt. Sounds very much like ATS-era Linkin Park though so it’s not really as “futuristic” as a lot of people claim imo. 7/10

Something Human: I guess I can stand it on the album. Pretty nice, a little dull but it’s not bad. 6/10

Thought Contagion: Definitely works better in the context of the album, which actually makes me like it a little. Still a bit of a dud though with absolutely nothing making it worth actively listening to. 6/10

Get Up And Fight: I actually kinda like it. A lot better than the songs it’s being compared to (Revolt, Mercy etc). Nice verses that are actually pretty cool, and the chorus isn’t nearly as dull as Mercy’s even if I can’t put my finger on why. I honestly don’t really know why I enjoy this song more. 7/10

Blockades: Hey it’s Muse by numbers to the point where it sounds like a parody, but I still like it. I actually had the verse playing in my head while I slept. The rating of this might seem strange but it’s honestly the most enjoyable song on the album, even if it’s not groundbreaking. 8/10

Dig Down: Just no. 4/10

The Void: I feel like I still haven’t listened to this song in the proper setting and should wait before I can listen to it on my own speakers, but I still enjoy it a lot. The acoustic version is maybe a bit better but I don’t get people who say it should have been on the album. I totally get why this is on the album and not the piano version. Anyway the acoustic version really brings out Matt’s strong, dark voice. Actually got chills hearing it the first time. 8/10

Overall I think this album has some duds that keeps it from being one of their best, and my ratings might lower over time. But fuck it, I still enjoy that they really have it a go at being experimental and trying something new while still creating one of their most coherent albums ever. 7/10

But it's not really dividing the board, apart from a few songs. Which is crazy, because we have this reputation of all longing for "old Muse". Turns out we just wanted them to be authentic.

Anyway, I think it was Jobby who proposed thanking them earlier, and I really think it would be nice if we can somehow show them our appreciation from the Board. Since we've been quite the critical bunch and I doubt they'll have a peek in here to see how we're liking it.

That's what I meant, really. Guess I worded it a bit too dramatically in my original post. It's great to see the overwhelming positivity going round, it's infectious! I couldn't agree more, it's great that the band are being authentic, and that's why I also love ST so much.

Liking this idea of thanking the band too, sounds like a lovely idea! :)

I'm rather negatively surprised at how many said "fans" on FB are bashing it, mainly because it's not rock enough.

This fanbase, for goodness sake...

i mean you're free to like it or not, but saying its not good just because doesn't sound like old muse or like you said not rock enough is nonsense

Gave it a good few listens whilst at work today. This might be the most 'fun' Muse album. Not the best, but its a weird and wacky blast. Plenty of surprises, but tonally consistent. Possibly the best since Black Holes.

Algorithm: Great opener. Should open the gigs. Dramatic and atmospheric. Sets the tone. Alt version is Matt's latest audition to do a movie soundtrack. Very cinematic, but not tonally right for the actual album.

The Dark Side: Loved this one from the first listen. Runs well off the previous track. Great rhythm and crowd-friendly chorus. Alt version is neat, but its not quite Hyper Chondriac Music.

Pressure: I only wish the chorus was a tad heavier, but I really like everything else. Didn't care for the alt version.

Propaganda: Now things get weird! Wasn't sure at first, but I'm into it now after a few listens. I'm down for the Prince vibes. Alt version doesn't really distinguish itself enough, but nice to have it slightly stripped back.

Break It To Me: Weirder still! Something completely different, but I kinda love the eastern-influences and the Morello-esque bits. Wasn't keen on the alt version.

Something Human: A bit of a comedown after a strong front 5 tracks. Just a bit meh. Weird, almost flatulence based, wubs. The stripped back alt version is an improvement.

Thought Contagion: I quite like the attitude in the verses, but the chorus is a bit meandering, along with generic 'woahs'.

Get Up and Fight: Now, I know this is the whipping boy, but I actually don't mind it! Maybe its the 00's pop punk nostalgia calling to me! Could do without the 'ahs'.

Blockades: Oh my, yes! Deliciously apocalyptic! Love the pace and the 'Maps' drumming. There's a touch of Muse's cover of 'Popcorn' in there. And the drops are just SO MEATY! :love:

Dig Down: Madness 2, but not as good. I'm quite fond of the gospel version though! Love a gospel choir. Reminded me of Tender.

The Void: Was kinda waiting for a crescendo that didn't quite arrive, but I get what they're going for. Moody, atmospheric closer. The acoustic version loses what makes it work.

I was worried in the lead-up to this album that it'd be the first one I genuinely wouldn't like, but I'm pleasantly surprised by how it turn out!

Ehh, those guys aren't ever happy, FB isn't a good gauge.

That's what I was wondering. My only guage is here and reddit (and twitter to an extent) and it seemed to be overwhelmingly positive. To the point where I've wondered if it will be harder to get tix on this tour :LOL:

GUAF > Revolt > Aftermath > Dig Down

Dig Down > GUAF > Revolt > Aftermath. I actually think DD is alright, and love the gospel version. I HATE Revolt and Aftermath is literally one of the worst songs I've ever heard and I have not listened to it since the week Drones came out. I just want to forget it exists.

Also, I know this q will get buried, but were we supposed to get mp3s with the album preorder? Just wondering because I only got links to the singles and so now I guess I will need to rip the CDs in iTunes to get the rest. :stunned: