Saddens me a smidge to see how some are treating GUAF, considering the subject matter. I get that I’m in the minority by really liking it and it’s fine if it’s other people’s least favourite but some of it’s ‘reviews’ are a bit....blunt, to say the least.

I've just heard it... and I actually quite like it. I'm well aware I'm in the minority though :LOL:

Interesting to see some people slagging off the lyrics. I think it’s at least on par with TR, if not better.

Also surprised at how many people are initially so weirded out by BITM that they either can’t rate it or say it’s not for them, before it usually grows :chuckle: instantly brilliant for me

Saddens me a smidge to see how some are treating GUAF, considering the subject matter. I get that I’m in the minority by really liking it and it’s fine if it’s other people’s least favourite but some of it’s ‘reviews’ are a bit....blunt, to say the least. Like, you can say a song’s not for you without calling one about a close family member w/ cancer ‘embarrassing’.

Even sadder knowing he’s passed

Just heard it all the way through, and I am very impressed! From the singles I already loved Thought Contagion, Something Human and Pressure.

Algorithm surely has to open their gigs now, it's incredible. Reminded me a bit of NIN at the start.

Propaganda is going to take a few listens to appreciate I think...

Break It To Me is another highlight - it's like sexy Korn or something. Love the guitar work.

Get Up And Fight... now I'm a sucker for pop with a hook, so I actually enjoyed it! Nowhere near as bad as I expected, and the subject matter gives it a whole other dimension.

Blockades is Muse by numbers. Good, but not mind blowing.

The Void though, brilliant. Great closer.

I love the Alternate Reality versions of all the songs too, as well as acoustic Something Human.

Muse have really surprised me here. I went in with low expectations until the leak happened and the majority raved about it, and I'm glad I agree with the majority. An enjoyable record.

Okay second full listen through (if you don't count falling asleep to it last night) going now.

A couple things I'm already sure of:

-Matt sounds almost like he's ten years younger here. A little less intense than he actually used to be, but a shine is back in his voice that was missing from much of Drones.

-The lyrics across the board are the best since TR. I'm not saying it's poetry, but I am saying these are the lyrics I really want from Muse, not so much what we got on Drones.

-There's such a sense of fun and willingness to put anything into a song. But it's not in a really on the nose, shoehorned kind of way like on much of T2L. It's somewhere between that and BH&R in terms of just trying anything once but really making something good out of it. I love this. It was sorely missed on Drones.

-Is it just me, or is there a surprising sense of...patience? subtlety? Not on all the cuts really. But songs like Algorithms, The Void, Propaganda (minus the hook), Break It To Me just seem like incredibly tight and well controlled compositions. I feel like in some weird way this is Muse's most minimalistic album. I'm being hit with candy coated explosions of wildly different sounds, but they've been carefully organized to hit exactly where they're most effective and don't stray beyond that point.

-My major con tho...there's a real lack of flow between many of the cuts. This seems incredibly intentional, so I'll not lament it too much, but it does take me out of the album experience a little bit when the transitions are so...shuffle like.

Okay second full listen through (if you don't count falling asleep to it last night) going now.

Agree w/ all this, sums up a broad amount of my thoughts too

...apart from the flow :p I think it flows really well, one of the few albums (if not the only one) where I wouldn’t change anything round

First listen.

This album is much better than I expected. I cried listening to Algorithm and The Void. Propaganda was a nice surprise because it sounds like Kiss from Prince and that is Amazing for me.

I will post my ranking latee.

Very very happy with Simulation Theory.

What a weird fucking album.

Some class songs in there like The Dark Side, Pressure or The Void, and others i would hardly qualify as music such as Propaganda or Get Up and Fight.

The Dark Side's alternate reality version is Radiohead but better. Both version are a 10/10.

Alright, I'm ready to post my ratings, alternative versions not included:

1. Blockades - 10

2. Algorithm - 10

3. The Void - 9.5

4. The Dark Side - 9

5. Propaganda - 8.5

6. Break it to Me - 8.5

7. Pressure - 8

8. Thought Contagion - 8

9. Dig Down - 6

10. Something Human - 4

11. Get up and Fight - 3

Apologies if wrong thread - new to this - preordered cd 31st August - got confirmation - no RAH presale code - no cd arriving today - thankfully got Spotify so listening and liking - worried that cd won't turn up - extremely worried that no presale code for British tour will be sent to me which would screw up my Christmas present. What should I do - panicking at present.

So much of this release reminds me of T2L...pray it doesn’t end up the same :chuckle:

Apologies if wrong thread - new to this - preordered cd 31st August - got confirmation - no RAH presale code - no cd arriving today - thankfully got Spotify so listening and liking - worried that cd won't turn up - extremely worried that no presale code for British tour will be sent to me which would screw up my Christmas present. What should I do - panicking at present.

Not sure what happened with your pre-sale code but it’s pretty common to not get your preorder on release day, unfortunately. Just how it goes with Muse albums, my T2L boxset was at least a week late iirc (as with a lot of people) and I’m still waiting on my super deluxe edition for ST.

Didn't expect I'd be here in 2018 and say "the new Muse album is good actually" but here we are

The only song I didn't care for was Get Up and Fight, but other than that this is probably their most confident album in a good while that plays to all of the band's over-the-top, cheesy strengths. This is definitely their best post-BHAR album.

I think it’s hit me after day 2 that while I like most of these songs, I wouldn’t like them if it wasn’t Muse. Because majority of it isn’t really the kind of music I’d listen to outside of Muse and definitely not the type of music I started liking Muse for.

Apart from Algorithm, Blockades and The Void.

Received my Deluxe Edition and I'm just done with my first listen-through.

Will take some time to process.

One thing I know for sure though: Get Up And Fight must be the worst song they've written to this day.

Seriously, it's terrible.

(and when I say so I obviously mean the song itself, melody, structure, production -- not what it's about)

Edited by Dysfunco

I think it’s hit me after day 2 that while I like most of these songs, I wouldn’t like them if it wasn’t Muse. Because majority of it isn’t really the kind of music I’d listen to outside of Muse and definitely not the type of music I started liking Muse for.

Apart from Algorithm, Blockades and The Void.

I can sort of feel this. I wouldn't say I wouldn't like the songs though, I just wouldn't give them the listen. Many of these songs are the kind of stuff that I like but never bother diving into if it involves having to take in a lot of new bands.