To be honest, though, that review is quite biased, because the reviewer doesn't hide the fact they're an ex-fan of the band.

That doesn't make it very objective to me; it's like the opposite case in which a fanboy fawns over his favourite band's new opus.

That’s why I’m mildly optimistic that it won’t be as bad a the reviews suggest.

We’ll see.

GUAF expectations are now so low that it can only be better than expected.

The degree to which critics are underselling GUAF has me more excited for it than most of the other songs. And as an adamant Big Freeze/Revolt fan, I foresee this being one of those low-key favorites that I gang up on publicly but also play at full volume in my car after getting yelled at at work.

To be honest, though, that review is quite biased, because the reviewer doesn't hide the fact they're an ex-fan of the band.

That doesn't make it very objective to me; it's like the opposite case in which a fanboy fawns over his favourite band's new opus and deems it "da best mastapiece evahh!!1".

EDIT: Also, I know they make a good amount of positive points in favour of the album, but still, when you're attached to a certain, ideal image you have of a band that is attuned with your personal tastes is difficult to be the most objective as you can.

That’s exactly the kind of person I want giving me their opinion on a new muse album. Someone who likes them during OoS and Abso glory.

not that it really phases muse fans, but I have a feeling this will be their most poorly received album yet. not saying that’s necessarily an indication of quality, but reception seems especially mediocre this time around

I think you might be right. Which is a shame. We haven't heard the entire album yet but it certainly SEEMS like a bit of a course correction compared to the last few records.

That doesn't make it very objective to me; it's like the opposite case in which a fanboy fawns over his favourite band's new opus and deems it "da best mastapiece evahh!!1".

EDIT: Also, I know they make a good amount of positive points in favour of the album, but still, when you're attached to a certain, ideal image you have of a band that is attuned with your personal tastes is difficult to be the most objective as you can.

All reviews are biased. They’re opinions.

not that it really phases muse fans, but I have a feeling this will be their most poorly received album yet. not saying that’s necessarily an indication of quality, but reception seems especially mediocre this time around

Most than anything else I don't see much hype/anticipation around. It's mostly people bitching (Reddit) and you guys here... but there are a lot of younger fans who seem to appreciate their most recent output. I'm trying to avoid reading reviews because so far there hasn't been a really positive one, and all the reviewers seems to agree on one thing "hardcore fans will probably not like it". I'm a hardcore fan myself, I've been following Muse since 2008, and while I must admit that songs like Dig Down and Something Human are not exactly my cup of tea, I still liked The Darkside and Pressure quite a lot. Propaganda sounds promising, too. I've got nothing againt pop music or experimentation, but most of their recent stuff just didn't click with me and that's okay.

Really expected there would be a leak today :erm: kinda awkwardly sitting around pondering another day of hyping for this. I'm mainly excited for Algorithm and The Void and not holding out much hope for everything else but will be looking out for Propaganda too and am faintly gruesomely, masochistically interested in what Get Up and Fight is going to sound like

One reason I’m feeling ok about this album is that they decided to fully move forward in a direction they wanted to go in without compromises, and that they all appear to be very happy with that decision.

If that makes me like the music is a separate issue, but despite the music being more ‘mainstream’ (for lack of a better word) sounding, I don’t think it’s fan service or selling out this time around.

That said, I only concluded that after listening them talk about it, not so much after listening to the songs so far.

That’s exactly the kind of person I want giving me their opinion on a new muse album. Someone who likes them during OoS and Abso glory.

All reviews are biased. They’re opinions.

No thanks, I'd rather have a 5/10 review from someone who was never a fan as it recently happened with that German site, instead of hearing the same lamenting tirade from former acid fans going like: "Muse was better before in any case, this is rubbish because it's not what I exactly want from them, where are the guitars, where's Matt's blue hair, where are the shrooms, I want my OOS, I want my Abso, nyah nyah nyah", and make it pass as an objective critique. The moment you pour your beef for a band that in your mind "betrayed" you because they didn't abide to the ideal image you draw of them in the long distance, you aren't giving a critical review anymore. It becomes a personally biased opinion, which is "worse" than a simply biased opinion.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

One reason I’m feeling ok about this album is that they decided to fully move forward in a direction they wanted to go in without compromises, and that they all appear to be very happy with that decision.

If that makes me like the music is a separate issue, but despite the music being more ‘mainstream’ (for lack of a better word) sounding, I don’t think it’s fan service or selling out this time around.

That said, I only concluded that after listening them talk about it, not so much after listening to the songs so far.

I agree, whereas T2L was a mish mash of all sorts, they've chosen a theme and at least seem to be making a coherent release

No thanks, I'd rather have a 5/10 review from someone who was never a fan as it recently happened with that German site, instead of hearing the same lamenting tirade from former acid fans going like: "Muse was better before in any case, this is rubbish because it's not what I exactly want from them, where are the guitars, where's Matt's blue hair, where are the shrooms, I want my OOS, I want my Abso, nyah nyah nyah", and make it pass as an objective critique. The moment you pour your beef for a band that in your mind "betrayed" you because they didn't abide to the ideal image you draw of them in the long distance, you aren't giving a critical review anymore. It becomes a personally biased opinion, which is "worse" than a simply biased opinion.

What reviewer actually said that shit though? Reviews are based on perceived quality, not all that nonsense you just said.

Imagine being this defensive over other people talking about a band you like

I’d literally take a fecking voice memo recording of that vinyl someone got hold of

I’ll wait for quality, I just wanna get an idea for the tracks

Edit: though that talk of snippets early has made me think, do Apple not do those 30 second previews anymore? I seem to remember those always being a pre-leak morsel in the past

the only thing Muse reviews are good for are getting poorly translated descriptions of tracks

^

I feel this is the case for most music tbh, but particularly Muse for me

Edit: though that talk of snippets early has made me think, do Apple not do those 30 second previews anymore? I seem to remember those always being a pre-leak morsel in the past

I'm glad they don't anymore. My memory might be exaggerating a bit, but I think they were up for about a month before the Resistance was released. Not a great way to introduce obsessed fans to an album.