Your reviews of Drones

Jimmyneutron

What is your favourite track on Drones?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite track on Drones?

• Dead Inside
    • Drill Sergeant
    • Psycho
    • Mercy
    • Reapers
    • The Handler
    • JFK
    • Defector
    • Revolt
    • Aftermath
    • The Globalist
    • Drones

1) Dead Inside

Not a great opener for an album that's supposed to be a different direction, as this would sit perfectly on T2L. 3/10

3) Pyscho

The riff we've all loved forever makes this an instant winner. It's heavy, Matt sounds great in the verses and after DI it sounds even better. Dragged down a little by the Sergeant and it's longer than it needs to be.7.5/10

4) Mercy

Not a big fan. Too much Starlight going on here and not a lot else. 5/10

5) Reapers

The best Muse song since Knights of Cydonia. It's lively, catchy, full of awesome riffs and Matt's best solo ever, along with the type of heavy outtro Muse should be doing more often. 9.5/10

6) The Handler

I don't love it as much as many on here, but it's still amazing and would sit well on Absolution. That's the highest praise I can give it. I love the last 30 seconds, although the solo leading up to it is a bit too In Your World. 8/10

(7) JFK

I ignored Drill Sergeant, but I'm gonna add this one in just to say I love the foreboding tone of the guitars and how it leads into Defector and mirrors its solo. The guitars almost lead you on to believe something truly epic is coming up. But instead it's only...

8) Defector

A good, solid Muse track, although the chorus gets repetitive and annoying. My favourite part is actually that 'swirly' bit of guitar (could be synth for all I know) at the end over JFK. It sounds GREAT. 7/10

9) Revolt

I don't quite get the hate, it's not down in the cesspit with the likes of Guiding Light . It's got a nice tone and solo but does feel cheesey overall. 6/10

10) Aftermath

A lovey-dovey ballad, not my cup of tea.5.5/10

11) The Globalist

Can't help but feel this is a massive opportunity missed. A chance for a true prog rock masterpiece. It has all the correct ingredients, but they're massively used in the wrong amounts. One of the best metal riffs they've ever done ends up lost in a sea of 'meh'. There's nothing wrong with the first third, leading up to the riff (it's brilliant at times), but it's what comes after that is the main issue here. It doesn't fit the rest and the riff should come back even heavier and longer for a second period to end the track. 6.5/10

12) Drones

Never expected to finish a Muse album feeling like I'm in a church. Not really a credible track that requires a rating.

Edited by MUFC

Dead Inside

The start of the album. The statement of the first words you hear: DEAD INSIDE is so damn good. Its like he is screaming out that we are all dead inside, it really grabs your attention. The beat kicks in and the dark bass drives the song. A strong start to the album and it makes a bold statement.

Score: 8.5/10

[Drill Sergeant] + Psycho

It might be me, but the strum in [DS] is repeated at the start of Psycho which really bugged me so I immediately stopped the album and changed it; minus 1 point right from the start. Rather repetitive, feels (in retrospect) like a filler song. They needed to have something for the story and just came up with this. Otherwise it rocks hard and sounds great live. I could do without the Sargent during the song though.

Score: 7/10

Mercy

First poppy sounding song. The piano riff bears strong similarity and gives me feelings similar to Starlight. His voice here, as well as Dead Inside is on point. The bass drives and the melodic style is catchy, very reminiscent of Sing For Absolution. A solid song and the first one that seems very personal to the protagonist.

Score: 8/10

Reapers

Drums kick it off with Matt squealing in with a tapping intro. Bass drops and the fast verse has you tapping your foot to the beat. Then the pre-chorus hits and you can not resist joining in with the "Drones!" and "Killed by!" chants and it soars into the chorus. The solo is a long winding wild ride a must not skip. Ending with the heavy outro with the "Here comes the drones" scream is just epic and perfect. Finally barely audible samples of "Follow the yellow brick road" give an eerie chill as the guitars fade out.

Score: 9.5/10

The Handler

Lately have been starting the album here (I've listened to the front half so much it almost like its not there sometimes). The riff is massive and the vocal delivery again is on point. The chorus is a melodic bass with a soaring vocal crescendo declaring disassociation. The middle does drag a bit longer than I would like but it thematically fits and builds a suspense which is released at the end.

Score: 9.5/10

[JFK] + Defector

Speech is taken from President John F. Kennedy's address at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in NYC on April 27, 1961 to the American Newspaper Publishers Association. Talking about how the press can help make man "free and independent" it mentions nothing of Communism directly but instead of the very essence of what it is to lose freedom. The last line "Its dissenters are silenced, not praised." kick off in Defector which is a headbanging monster. Somewhat repetitive its solo/bridge makes up for it. Lyrics are a bit cheesy but I expect nothing spectacular from Matt. Queen like but tolerable. Probably one of my favorites along with The Handler.

Score: 9/10

Revolt

The next poppy tune off the record and a heavy one as well. Solo is very reminiscent of Guiding Light (yes I went there), but not in a bad way. Personally would love to hear this live, it sounds like a monster. The bass and hooks are just so catchy. Pre-chorus/chorus is a bit weak however yet tolerable. Very sing-a-long like

Score: 7.5/10

Aftermath

I dig this song. When the guitar kicked in and Matt started singing (especially the first chorus) I started crying. No joke, this song is just such a good anthem sounding song. Reviews were right to say it was a cross of a Coca-Cola ad. The progression in the chorus feels very similar to the hymn "Hallelujah." Its just perfect another favorite track, its probably the softest point of the album other than the next two tracks.

The Globalist

The flow from Aftermath into this one is so great. The whistling starts and when the slide kick in taking its place it just seems to fit. The vocals come in telling a different story, yet it feels so familiar from what we heard so far. Upon being "given the codes" the heavy riff kicks in building as vocal over top drive the tension. It finally snaps when the countdown hits 1 and the command "Fire" is called. The riff explodes open and guitar melody drives the song to a climaxing scream as the piano fades in as the guitar fades away. The story has turned sad and the piano drives the song till its finally notes and slowed down.

Drones

Again transitioning in this album is rock solid. The line "Killed by drones" fades in from The Globalists violent yet mournful ending as what sounds like a church hymn. I take this as a perspective not from our protagonist but all those who suffered who now sing one last song as their world slow dies from the nuclear destruction that spreads across the land. The protagonist is probably among them (we may be seeing this from a 3rd person view of him) as he watches all the suffering he caused. Such a great and eerie way to end the album.

Score: 8/10

Overall score: 8.4/10

Overall top picks from this album have to be (in track order):

Dead Inside

Reapers

The Handler

JFK + Defector

Aftermath

The Globalist + Drones

Lyrically Matt is as he normally is. The concept is pushed brutally through but I feel the execution across the board makes up for it. The song spreads of Mercy through Defector and Aftermath to Drones is just chilling. The Globalist and Drones should never but not played without each other.

This album cycle has been amazing so far, contesting even BH&R. However BH&R still has the edge for me, vocally and musically but that could change the more I listen. We will see at a later date.

To finish off here is my album order:

BH&R > OoS = Absolution = Drones > TR >> T2L

Here's mine.

Dead Inside - Ite

Psycho - Overlong wank

Mercy - Starlight wank

Reapers - Actually not wank

The Handler - Also not wank, fair play

Defector - Queen-y wank

Revolt - When performed by the next big teen popstar, amazing. When played by Muse, utter wank

Aftermath - Fairly wank

The Globalist - This is like a sandwich which has two stale, overused, and probably stolen bits of bread with an amazing filling.

Drones - Experimental wanky alrightness

5.528/10

Here's mine.

Dead Inside - Ite

Psycho - Overlong wank

Mercy - Starlight wank

Defector - Queen-y wank

Revolt - When performed by the next big teen popstar, amazing. When played by Muse, utter wank

Aftermath - Fairly wank

The Globalist - This is like a sandwich which has two stale, overused, and probably stolen bits of bread with an amazing filling.

5.528/10

that's a lot of wanking :stunned:

that's a lot of wanking :stunned:

too much?

In all seriousness though, they just sound a bit out of ideas to me, musically. There are a couple of really, really good tracks and moments (The Globalist riff is mega), as was the same on T2L and TR, but largely I find most of the tracks a bit uninspired, and definitely lacking in the originality they once had.

But I know a lot of people here like it a lot, so fair enough, whatever floats your boat!

Here's mine.

Dead Inside - Ite

Psycho - Overlong wank

Mercy - Starlight wank

Defector - Queen-y wank

Aftermath - Fairly wank

5.528/10

This review is too beautiful

Here's mine.

Dead Inside - Ite

Psycho - Overlong wank

Mercy - Starlight wank

Defector - Queen-y wank

Aftermath - Fairly wank

5.528/10

:LOL:

Spoiler tagged cos I tend to ramble...

Drones Review

About a year ago when I was asking myself what I wanted from the new Muse album I came up with four things “A fast song to enjoy live, more riffs, a song that makes me fall in love with the band again and a more stripped back sound overall”

Dead Inside – When the band announced a stripped back album I thought “Well that’s one thing ticked off my list”, then they released this as their first song and I was immediately disappointed. I had ignored the song completely in order to sulk over the slow pace and synth parts that wouldn’t have been out of place on T2L. I didn’t worry, I just told myself that it was the start of a concept and it was bound to get better and I could forget this song ever existed. I didn’t need to. After a further three listens I was in love with the song. The passionate vocals, the lyrics and even the four chord bridge that so often gets slated. I realised that this was better than most songs on TSL and it was a sign of great things to come.

Psycho (with Drill Sergeant) – Kudos to Dom for convincing Matt to make this a song. The simple riff carries the song from start to end, with the Drill Sergeant script bridging the gaps between verses. The song works brilliantly as part of the concept and even better as a live opener. Even now, three months on of endless playing it is a big part of the album for me. The only weakness is that it runs about a minute and a half too long. The Jools Holland live version was much better being cut to about 4 minutes.

Mercy – Another one I was not a fan of originally. Unfortunately for Mercy, I didn’t end up loving it like Dead Inside. It’s needless to say that the song suffers from predictability. After the verse and chorus I knew where the whole song was going, nothing surprised me. I found the chorus quite lazy lyrically and vocally. Live, this song is better, but not good enough to be put in the good books for me. Even in the concept, I feel it would have made more sense after Reapers, but musically it probably does fit better here and would disrupt the awesome flow that was about to come.

Reapers – One extreme to the other. When I heard this song live I couldn’t help but smile and nod along to the solo. I didn’t think Muse could write good solos anymore, normally the solo is just the vocal melody of the chorus on guitar, but with Reapers they delivered. When I heard the studio version with the brilliant lyric video that went with it, it instantly hit me that I had found that song I was looking for. I was once again in love with Muse! You hear the verse, bridge and chorus and think it’s amazing, but then you forget about the awesome solo and the haunting outro. Everything about this song works for me. Muse at their best.

The Handler – Huge love for this song on the boards, but for me it didn’t clock straight away. Now this song is creeping up behind Reapers. The drum and bass carry the song and the dance style guitar solo is reminiscent of the In Your World intro. Again, like Reapers, everything on this song works. My personal highlight is when Matt elongates the “eyeyeyeyey” part (I think he is singing “obey”???) A nice nod to the Absolution days and a track that will go down in Muse history for sure.

Defector (with JFK) – A true headbanger. The Queen-esque vocals make a return when the protagonist defects from the system. I have to say this song didn’t click with me at first. Like Psycho, it seemed to drag on, despite being a lot shorter. With some strange lyrics that for me did not deliver (“You’ve got a problem” for me was the worst offender). The problem is I wanted to like this track so much but I just couldn’t feel any love for it. Even now I struggle to like it, but I get the song at least and that is good enough for me. The JFK intro and outro give the song some character and helps the song deliver, not to mention a pretty awesome solo.

Revolt – As mentioned previously, I was begging for a fast song/chorus to jump along to at gigs. Moral of the story? Be careful what you wish for :p Only joking, I don’t actually find this that bad. The poppy inspirational lyrics are a nod of the Killers, and for me it works. It certainly could be a summer anthem. I’m just glad Muse changed their mind about making this single number 1, because I fear my hype train would have been cancelled. Still the tempo change from chorus to verse is one of the nice unique touches to the album whereas the tempo change from verse to chorus is one of the worst.

Aftermath – Such a beautiful song. Yes it sounds like One by U2 and yes the outro is heading towards Westlife territory, but I really don’t care. This song is what I’ve wanted Muse to do for a while now. Finally a love song that I don’t find cringe-worthy or embarrassing. It has some cool guitar sounds and some sweet tremolo picking. Love the verse lyrics, the chorus lyrics are a bit generic but all are delivered to a standard above my expectations. This was a nice surprise for me and it is probably my most listened to track on Drones so far.

The Globalist – Unlike others I wasn’t hyped. I didn’t want to be. Matt made a mistake saying this would be CE2 and I wasn’t going to fall for it. What I did fall for was him saying that this would be a prog nightmare, and it is to an extent. The intro runs a touch too long, though I am a fan of the whistling and western feel. I would have preferred some crazy metal after the IG solo but it wasn’t meant to be. The outro piano part may be my absolute favourite part of the album and lines such as “Lost in space and time foreeeeever more” are delivered so well it gets me every time. The epic climax of the concept takes you on a musical rollercoaster that you will never forget. It’s more than a song, it’s an experience.

Drones – No instruments, just a choir of Matts talking about the danger of drones and how the ghosts of victims are begging for justice. A typical Muse song then :LOL: I love it when Muse experiments and this is no exception. Like I said on another thread, it serves it’s purpose as an epilogue, but the only time I will listen to this is when I listen to the album in full or occasionally after The Globalist.

The flow of the album wouldn’t normally work, but the concept drives the story forward and allows each song to be linked both musically and lyrically. Once again we are blessed with songs that sound so different from each other and yet carry a distinctive sound to be grouped together. The heavy tracks are accompanied by some fun songs, all of which I am excited to see live. I’m not wishing for any particular song to see live, whereas with T2L and TR I was praying for certain songs to be played and certain ones to be left off the set. Finally I have listened to a Muse album where I can once again say I’m proud to be a fan. Shit, I’ve gone on haven’t I…7.5/10

OoS 10/10

BH&R 9.5/10

Abso 8/10

Drones 7.5/10

TR 7.5/10

T2L 5/10

My thoughts. They're long. Sorry!

I think it sums up where Muse is at right now, in an impossible situation to satisfy different markets.

OVERALL I think this is an excellent album, especially when you consider the context of release for both the band and UK music as a whole. As someone who panned T2L, and to be honest decided to give them a few years off to get their shit sorted out, it's honestly so refreshing to listen to this album and get the chills and feelings they used to deliver year in year out.

If you asked me which direction Muse were going in after T2L I would have said 'Down' without hesitation. If you asked me the same question now, I'd smirk a bit, hesitate slightly and categorically say 'Up.'

Dead Inside 8/10

At first I fell for the marketing gimmick (release a radio 1 track after the hopeful riff of Psycho) and I did not like this song at all. However after multiple listens it really has grown on me. I'm still not convinced it will work hugely well live, especially on current evidence - but there's time. The 4 chord bridge into finish is undoubtedly the highlight, and the vocal progression is surprisingly pleasing over multiple listens.

Psycho 6.5/10

Great riff, shit lyrics, fun melodies, far too long. For me it posed the question 'can Muse actually write a good bridge anymore?' A good tune and far better live. Drill sarg needs removing from the song entirely. If it were 4 minutes long with no sarg and a bridge that hadn't been written in 5 minuts - 9/10 song. They ruined it a bit to be honest. Un-inventive.

Mercy 7.5/10

When I first heard this song, it was in my head for days. It's poppy, it's straightforward, it's almost unashamedly Starlight-y. Personally, I love it. The chorus melody is FAR better live, and I'm actually a bit iffy on the production of the chorus vocal for 'MERRRCCY.' I'm gonna talk bridges a lot here... sorry guys... It's... yeah, it's a bridge I guess. I think Matt's vocal delivery works seriously well here and if it didn't I would be bashing it a lot more. Watch the Radio 1 Live performance for a good grasp on how it will play out at gigs. It's probably a 7/10 record song and 9/10 live song. I can dig that.

Reapers 9/10

One of the best Muse songs in a very long time. The Freedom-esque - I say esque, it's almost a direct rip-off with more root notes (elongated) - riff at the end is borderline orgasmic, and honestly I thought the times of Muse riffs of the sort were long gone. Just incredible from start to finish. THE BRIDGE, there's a really great solo in it. It feels like a huge amount of time and effort has been put into this song. Almost more than most of the others combined...

The Handler 10/10

The best Muse song for around 10 years in my view. Completely departed from some of the formulaic, unimaginative tripe they've put out isemi-recently. They become an absolutely unrecognisable band when compared to songs like I Belong To You.

My dad put it perfectly... "When they're at their best like that, no other band even comes close." I couldn't agree more, jaw droppingly good. I like the length of the bridge, it's less Clifton suspension bridge and more Humber bridge.

Defector 7.5/10

I'm going to use this to talk about the bridge, because it's one of the best they have ever written. It's euphoric, uplifting and absolute genius in my book. Unfortunate that it's surrounded by some bloke talking about having a problem in the same way over and over. and over. and over. again. again. again. INCITING. PROBLEM. DEFECTOR. REPEAT AFTER ME BECAUSE IT'S A CONCEPT ALBUM I CAN GET AWAY WITH IT. Nearly ruined, very nearly. Reminds me of Survival, amazing musically and just appalling in other aspects. Will be a banger live.

Revolt 8/10

Sorry, I really like it. I really really like it. It's completely different, and it gives me visions of a darling 18 year old Matt trying to write B sides for Showbiz. It feels oddly nostalgic and I just don't know why...

The Aftermath 7.5/10

I think this is a great song, although the vocal harmonies on the chorus feel quite strained and forced - I suppose that does fit in with the album as a whole, where it just doesn't quite reach those massive high points consistently and instead leaves you with a feeling of what truly could have been. Despite this, I think it's one of the better songs on the album. I'm not going to talk about the bridge/outro because it's late and if I think about it I'm going to dock 2-3 points off the song because it's fucking awful like this bridge

The Globalist 5/10

I don't think this is a good song overall, I really, really don't. I want to like it so much, and despite many listens I just don't think it works. There are multiple separate elements and each of them is better than the bigger picture. I don't want to get into CE because it's (IMO) incomparable for a multitude of reasons, but I will say this: listening to CE you get that incredible sense of grandeur and closure from the end of the song. With the Globalist, I just end up feeling like it could have been better executed, and that those 10 minutes never really delivered a cohesive piece of musoc (except for that heavy part oh my fucking god it's good).

Drones 1/10

Utter circlejerking tripe, good job it's a 'concept album' so you can get away with stuff like this.

too much?

In all seriousness though, they just sound a bit out of ideas to me, musically. There are a couple of really, really good tracks and moments (The Globalist riff is mega), as was the same on T2L and TR, but largely I find most of the tracks a bit uninspired, and definitely lacking in the originality they once had.

But I know a lot of people here like it a lot, so fair enough, whatever floats your boat!

I don't think they're out of ideas, I just think they're writing stuff that might not appeal to you so much. A shame, but it happens.

My thoughts so far.

Dead Inside is between okay and good (initially hated it)

Drill Sergeant shouldn't be on the album

Psycho is good

Mercy is good (initially hated it)

Reapers is great (initially hated the chorus)

Handler is great

JFK is great

Defector is great

Revolt is good (Took me a few listens, the production is top notch here)

Aftermath is just okay (I've listened to it a lot actually, it's very boring, I don't know if it will age well. Should have been a b-side.)

As a single song, The Globalist isn't great. It has the best section from the album in the prog breakdown, but the song overall does not work.

By genre variation, the Globalist is: good (Morricone section), great (Pink floyd), great (prog section), bad (ballad section)

Drones is bad. (the lyrics completely ruin it for me)

In my own personal music library I edited the globalist and made the morricone section, the floyd section and prog section parts 1, 2, and 3 while removing the ending ballad. Also took out drill sergeant, aftermath and Drones. other than that, this is a great album. Time will tell how it stacks against the others but I enjoy this a lot compared to resistance and 2nd law. it flows better than absolution. Gives black holes a run for its money. time will tell.

Edited by Tunavi

I think musically the album is fantastic (maybe apart from the chorus/outro of Aftermath) and Dead Inside through to Defector is some of Muse's best work. However after enjoying Revolt and Aftermath originally the bluntness of Matt's lyrics edges the songs just over the edge of musical theater territory and for me that spoils it, Aftermath gets way too christian rock singalong for me. I understand its a concept album but a little more subtlety in some of the lyrics and themes would go a long way. The Globalist is a fantastic contrast to Citizen Erased because it shows you exactly how the band has changed over the years, especially in the final section, as much as i'd love The Globalist to be a 10 minute 7 string "prog nightmare" that just isn't where Muse is musically anymore in my opinion. Drones is a bizarre way to end an album yet I always end up listening through it whenever I listen to The Globalist, I wish there was a proper closing track to this album, something like an instrumental Isolated System like track would be fantastic, with Drones then being a b-side of a hidden track.

All in all i think Drones is just below the "big 3" albums OoS, Absolution and BHaR but is easily their best release since BHaR 8/10

Fav tracks: Reapers, Dead Inside, The Handler

Least fav tracks: Aftermath, Mercy, Drones

I did a review for a music blog I write for :happy: I really love the album, and wavered between giving it an 8.5 and 9 over all, ended up going with the 9 :LOL: That's not to say it's without its faults, however. I have plenty of those to mention, but to me, there is enough good to outweigh the bad and make it one of their strongest albums in my eyes.

http://thegirlsattherockshow.com/album-review-muse-drones/

"Some may think its a load of pretentious wank, others may like it because it's different" - Matt Bellamy on his music.

The term "musers" in general understanding is a person who is a fan of muse. What "musers" don't understand is that it does not mean "oh I want muse to be a specific kind of muse and if they're not then I don't like their music because it's different". It means you love muse from beginning to end. You have the right to opinion on songs, what you've disliked and what you liked. But you accept each song and enjoy the positive of each, because you understand they are changing constantly. That is the beauty of muse and true Musers. We listen, and adapt.

That said

Dead Inside - Very 80's funk. Vocals are epic 8/10

Psycho - Too simple. But riff is a classic in muse history. Repetitiveness is actually crucial - 7/10

Mercy - Love the vocals. Guitar riff is quite simple, just a little flat. Bass was killer but drums a bit too clunky - 7/10

Reapers - Revive me. This song had me smiling wider than the Cheshire Cat. Everything was perfect - 10/10

The Handler - Nostalgia was strong here. Brought me back to Absolution (FUUURY) the bass had me head bobbing - 9.5/10

JFK/Defector - Greatest thing ever. The lyrics were simple but it certainly got the point across. Guitar: Killer. Bass: Beastly. Drums: Dom is Bae. Solo: Sexy - 10/10

Revolt - Grew on me. It sounds pop rock/indie Showbiz. People think just because it's "pop" that it doesn't deserve to be "Muse". Uh dumbasses have you heard Supermassive Black hole? A bit repetitive but compensated with the vocals - 8/10

Aftermath - reminded me of Bryan Adams. I love Bryan Adams (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was a great film btw) - 8.5/10

The Globalist - unlike a lot of closed minded people. I happen to enjoy this track endlessly. The intro was crafted perfectly. Had an Invincible vibe. The bridge from the latter to the outro was so nostalgic! Assassin FTFW! The outro reminded me of Explorers/USOE/Exo Part 3.... BITCH IT WAS CRAY I LOVED HIS VOICE - 9/10

Drones - wtf I cri everyteim. The surprise of this song brought me to tears. Yes it's just his voice. Yes it's not like their usual stuff. Yes it's ended... yes it's different. DIFFERENT IS MUSE. MUSE IS NOT ALWAYS HEAVY, IS NOT ALWAYS EXPERIMENTAL AND IS NOT ALWAYS WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO BE. SUCK IT UP AND ENJOY WHAT THEY ARE: MUSE - A BAND LIKE NO OTHER..

Amen.

- 8/10

DRONES OVERALL - 8.5/10

Album list :

Absolution

Drones

OOS

Showbiz

BHR

TR

T2L

"Some may think its a load of pretentious wank, others may like it because it's different" - Matt Bellamy on his music.

The term "musers" in general understanding is a person who is a fan of muse. What "musers" don't understand is that it does not mean "oh I want muse to be a specific kind of muse and if they're not then I don't like their music because it's different". It means you love muse from beginning to end. You have the right to opinion on songs, what you've disliked and what you liked. But you accept each song and enjoy the positive of each, because you understand they are changing constantly. That is the beauty of muse and true Musers. We listen, and adapt.

That said

Dead Inside - Very 80's funk. Vocals are epic 8/10

Psycho - Too simple. But riff is a classic in muse history. Repetitiveness is actually crucial - 7/10

Mercy - Love the vocals. Guitar riff is quite simple, just a little flat. Bass was killer but drums a bit too clunky - 7/10

Reapers - Revive me. This song had me smiling wider than the Cheshire Cat. Everything was perfect - 10/10

The Handler - Nostalgia was strong here. Brought me back to Absolution (FUUURY) the bass had me head bobbing - 9.5/10

JFK/Defector - Greatest thing ever. The lyrics were simple but it certainly got the point across. Guitar: Killer. Bass: Beastly. Drums: Dom is Bae. Solo: Sexy - 10/10

Revolt - Grew on me. It sounds pop rock/indie Showbiz. People think just because it's "pop" that it doesn't deserve to be "Muse". Uh dumbasses have you heard Supermassive Black hole? A bit repetitive but compensated with the vocals - 8/10

Aftermath - reminded me of Bryan Adams. I love Bryan Adams (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was a great film btw) - 8.5/10

The Globalist - unlike a lot of closed minded people. I happen to enjoy this track endlessly. The intro was crafted perfectly. Had an Invincible vibe. The bridge from the latter to the outro was so nostalgic! Assassin FTFW! The outro reminded me of Explorers/USOE/Exo Part 3.... BITCH IT WAS CRAY I LOVED HIS VOICE - 9/10

Drones - wtf I cri everyteim. The surprise of this song brought me to tears. Yes it's just his voice. Yes it's not like their usual stuff. Yes it's ended... yes it's different. DIFFERENT IS MUSE. MUSE IS NOT ALWAYS HEAVY, IS NOT ALWAYS EXPERIMENTAL AND IS NOT ALWAYS WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO BE. SUCK IT UP AND ENJOY WHAT THEY ARE: MUSE - A BAND LIKE NO OTHER..

Amen.

- 8/10

DRONES OVERALL - 8.5/10

Album list :

Absolution

Drones

OOS

Showbiz

BHR

TR

T2L

Good review, pretty much how I feel about the album. Don't get the let down for people regarding the globalist. Since when do we ever take what musical artists say about there new songs before they're released seriously? ESPECIALLY when they compare there new songs to some of there best previous work. Stunning tune, all 4 parts including Drones.

The only letdown throughout the album were the shitty lyrics ruining an otherwise good listen.

And perhaps revolt.

Also the lack of energy and passion in their songs irks me a little. I just can't feel it in this album (well, not even T2L so...)

Sorry but not every song has a positive, whether it's by Muse or anyone else. Critical opinions are an important part of being a 'muser' - being able to see through your love of a band to assess something objectively. There are plenty who will like something just because it's Muse ("The chorus is actually really crap but it's Muse so yay! \o/), that for me is worse than picking apart the negatives.