Your reviews of Drones

Jimmyneutron

What is your favourite track on Drones?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite track on Drones?

• Dead Inside
    • Drill Sergeant
    • Psycho
    • Mercy
    • Reapers
    • The Handler
    • JFK
    • Defector
    • Revolt
    • Aftermath
    • The Globalist
    • Drones

Too early to make rounded opinions for me. But The Handler, Defector, Reapers and Dead Inside are the only top-tier tracks. The Globalist and Aftermath are cool too. Revolt and Drones will grow on me hopefully.

Edited by Tim59

Only 4 good/great songs in my opinion. Still.

The Handler is THE song I was waiting for almost 10 years now.

I just don't get how can they include garbages like Revolt and Mercy on the same album than Reapers/Dead Inside/Psycho/The Handler.

Sounded so promising,

The Globalist fills 10 min, ok, but is not that good.

Good intro but the heavy part is pointless.

I don't want to talk about the outro.

Aftermath reminds me Brian Adams "Everything I do"

I still need to listen to Defector to say anything about it.

Edited by Robb

I'm gonna need way more listens to make a judgment, but the first half of the album is ace. These are just first impressions of course. Could easily change:

Dead Inside 8/10-Fantastic vocals and keeps growing on me surprisingly. Classic at this point.

Psycho 7/10-Is a bit longer than it needs to be but it's so punchy and in your face that it's forgivable. That riff is the new Plug in Baby.

Mercy 7/10- A very straightforward song, a lot like Starlight but way better in my opinion.

Reapers 10/10- One of my favorite songs they've ever done, immense energy and incredible guitar. The chorus is catchy, the solo is fun to listen to and the outro is probably the heaviest thing they've ever recorded.

The Handler 9.5/10- Another great rocker. Recalls to the Absolution days and the reigning falsettos are really at show here.

(the rest of the songs are based off a single listen so to be taken with a grain of salt)

Defector 8.5/10- Heavy rocker that harkens back to Dragon Attack by Queen. The solo is one of the greatest they've done, the riff is a headbanger. Lyrics are a bit cheesy but I think it suits the song.

Revolt 4/10-Super generic song. Reminds me of American Pie. It's not the worst thing i've ever heard but....I probably wont listen to it again.

Aftermath 8/10- I love it. Matt's never sung a song in this fashion before and he plays it off so well. A solemn track with some awesome guitar work. Reminds me like a mix of Dark Side of the Moon and Achtung Baby style ballads.

The Globalist 7.5/10-Super disappointing, I felt like I would have loved it if it wasn't hyped as much as it was. The beginning is great, the heavy middle section is one of my favorite things on the album. Then it all goes wrong with the final 3 minutes, it's not bad at all but it just gets built up into USOE part 2. It's like if you're having sex with Scarlett Johansson and the foreplay goes all well, then you get naked and have 2 minutes of the most incredible sex you've ever had, and just as you're about to climax she hops off and transforms into that one ex you had 5 years ago that you never really liked but stayed with because you were comfortable with her, and she passes out immediately. Great song on it's own, but way overhyped.

Drones 6/10-I actually found it pretty interesting but I doubt i'll be listening to it often.

My album rankings:

Absolution

OOS

BHAR

Resistance/Drones

Showbiz

T2L

Just finished my first listen all the way through and as a whole Concept album its really quite stunning. The biggest surprises for me were Aftermath and Drones the final track. Matts voice is stunning.

I can see where some people (Musers) will be turned off by Revolt and Aftermath but I personally love both because they don't sound like muse, especially Revolt. And while the Globalist is more sparse than I thought its really a journey song. Its not meant to have choruses. I'll admit first time through I was slightly disappointed but after a few listens its def the biggest grower for me. Absolutely love it now. LOVE his voice in the first vocal part and the piano is gorgeous. The ending piano part might get some "Explorer's" comparison's which aren't totally unjust but I think its perfect for the journey kind of song that it clearly tries to be.

Defector is heavy queen but I really enjoy it.

And matts vocals are stunning on this album!!

So overall the first half of the album sounds like Muse, the 2nd half doesn't which in a way make's it more Muse because I expect the unexpected from them, more so then most bands. And thats the primary reason they are my favorite band. I'll wait to rate the album for at least a few days but on the surface Its there best album in a while. And I loved the Resistance, disliked the 2nd law and loved Black Holes & Revelations

OK, couple of listens past The Handler.

First half of the album is good, best songs by far are Reapers 9/10 and The Handler 10/10

Defector- Not great for me i'm afraid, far too repetitive and the vocals/lyrics are just not great. Pretty good solo however. Pretty sick of queen sound alike 6/10

Revolt- Seriously Muse, bit of a shower really. Generic all the way through. 3/10

Aftermath- Actually really like this. Very moody with Dire Straits-est guitar. Tainted by the awful lyrics and melody any boyband would be proud of. Cannot wait for the instrumental 8/10

The Globalist- They have missed something here! That heavy peice should have been MUCH longer and should have been removed from this song and elaborated on to create what could have been a masterpiece. Great first half, second half with Elgar's Nimrod bolted on to it just doesn't really work for me. Musically very good but just feel disappointed. 6/10

Drones- Found this pretty interesting actually. Harmonies could have been tighter but i got where Matt was coming from. 7/10

Overall, not a bad album. 2 Songs reminded me of the Muse i love, a few i wish to forget and the rest is interesting. One day Matt will come to his senses and move away from the pop crap, it just doesn't work (for me, anyway) Will wait for the instrumentals as lyrically and melody wise, not the greatest.

Though only one listen through, I'm still going for the Globalist.

I'm a massive sucker for long and proggy, and though the heavy stuff is a bit short. The build-up to it is really great, and I do like the ending piano part too. So all in all just a very, very great track.

Really adore the whole album though. It's heavy, it's cheesy, it's experimental, and it Muse through-and-through.

I really hope they will be playing it full from start to finish on their arena/stadium tours.

The Globalist 7.5/10-Super disappointing, I felt like I would have loved it if it wasn't hyped as much as it was. The beginning is great, the heavy middle section is one of my favorite things on the album. Then it all goes wrong with the final 3 minutes, it's not bad at all but it just gets built up into USOE part 2. It's like if you're having sex with Scarlett Johansson and the foreplay goes all well, then you get naked and have 2 minutes of the most incredible sex you've ever had, and just as you're about to climax she hops off and transforms into that one ex you had 5 years ago that you never really liked but stayed with because you were comfortable with her, and she passes out immediately. Great song on it's own, but way overhyped.

That is the best review of a song. Ever. :LOL: