Your reviews of Drones

Jimmyneutron

What is your favourite track on Drones?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite track on Drones?

• Dead Inside
    • Drill Sergeant
    • Psycho
    • Mercy
    • Reapers
    • The Handler
    • JFK
    • Defector
    • Revolt
    • Aftermath
    • The Globalist
    • Drones

the globalist 7.5/10-super disappointing, i felt like i would have loved it if it wasn't hyped as much as it was. The beginning is great, the heavy middle section is one of my favorite things on the album. Then it all goes wrong with the final 3 minutes, it's not bad at all but it just gets built up into usoe part 2. It's like if you're having sex with scarlett johansson and the foreplay goes all well, then you get naked and have 2 minutes of the most incredible sex you've ever had, and just as you're about to climax she hops off and transforms into that one ex you had 5 years ago that you never really liked but stayed with because you were comfortable with her, and she passes out immediately. Great song on it's own, but way overhyped.

Oh man, best comparison ever!!! hahahahah

1: Dead Inside - Alright I guess. Kind of like the little solo after the first chorus. Not the weakest album opener ever, but by no means the best either. 5/10

2: Shouty Man/Psycho - Burnt myself out on this after a handful of listens when it was released. Lots of loud guitars and drumming but it feels a bit soulless and by the numbers. 4/10

3: Mercy - Really like it, but then again I am a fan of layered vocals and power choruses. Decent pop song. 7/10

4: Reapers - The 'Animals' of the album for me in that everyone seems to love it, but I could take it or leave it. I do like the vocal effects though, and the finger tapping intro is great. 6/10

5: The Handler - Yeah, this is the best on the album for me by a considerable margin. Falsetto is well-used, the guitar middle piece is really good with the building drums and the ending really does remind me of Showbiz so that's a big tick. 9/10

6: American President Guy/Defector - I like this because it's so silly. Pretty catchy riff and the chorus makes me smile. 8/10

7: Revolt - Not nearly as awful as some people seem to think, but it's just not that interesting. Filing it alongside Micro Cuts, Falling Away With You, Soldier's Poem and most of the previous two albums as a song I will listen to again if listening to the full album, but won't actively seek it out. 5/10

8: Aftermath - Like it! Can definitely hear the U2 - One thing at the start. The ending goes a bit Rod Stewart but as the album's love song it fits quite nicely. 7/10

9: The Globalist - Er, hmm. The first part is really quite lovely - for me it kind of goes south when the riff kind of gets hacksawed onto what was until that point a really lovely sweeping song. Then, just as you get used to it and it starts to build, a forgotten take of United States of Eurasia gets sellotaped on the end. Starts brilliantly, ends weakly. 6/10

10: Drones - Actually, it's alright after a few listens. Not really my kind of thing, but a pretty unique album ender and quite haunting. 6/10

Overall: 6.3/10

If I have to slot it into a ranking of albums, I'd go:

1: Origin of Symmetry

2: Black Holes & Revelations

3: Absolution

4: Showbiz

5: Drones

6: The Resistance

7: The 2nd Law

Dead Inside: It grew on me, but i give it that score because the first listen of it is one of the most terrible experiences i ever experienced listening to a song = 6/10

Psycho: The riff is good but is way too long and the "Your ass belongs to me now" line is awful. Is great live though = 6.5/10

Mercy: I quite like it, isn't extraordinary but is ok = 7/10

Reapers: Pretty good, love the main riff = 8/10

The Handler: The best song on the album for me and one of the best songs Muse has ever done, the vocals and the bass are extraordinary. The solo is too long though = 9/10

JFK: Perfectly builds up to Defector.

Defector: Love it, even if it is repetitive and the vocals are not the best, there's something i like about it = 8/10

Revolt: It's Muse just taking the piss, it's so bad it gets to the hilarious territory = 4/10

Aftermath: Gorgeous, the ending ruins it a bit, but i like it 8/10

The Globalist: Dissapointed me, the parts flow so bad together, specially the transition from the metal riff to the piano part, sounds like some kind of fade out of two songs that went wrong. It's a good song but the hype killed it = 7/10

Drones: As a song by itself doesn't do it for me, but as the epilogue of the album works well = 7/10

Final note: 7/10

I will post a little review then, with my amazing English grammar (sorry for that :LOL:)

-Dead Inside 9/10. I loved it when it came out. The way Matt delivers the vocals is amazing in this one, and there are too much emotion in that second half. It's like a better Madness.

-Drill Sergeant/Psycho 7/10. I don't like it at first, but it grew on me. It has a nice riff and it's a fun song. It will be a beast live. Very repetitive.

-Mercy 6.5/10: the classic piano Muse song, à la Starlight. But I enjoy this more, it's heavier and the pre-chorus is cool. But it hasn't got much more.

-Reapers 9.5/10: It was the studio version which sold me on this. I enjoy the chorus, the "robotic" setting, like it's a modern warfare, and that magnificent outro

- The Handler 10/10: Holy shit, one of the best tracks I've heard in years. It's dark, it's heavy, and that bridge will be a "lose our heads" moment in their gig. Awesome!

- Defector: 8.5/10: Great riff, I must admit that I've always enjoyed the queenisms in Muse discography, so I don't mind about the vocals. Nice solo, I like its tone.

- Revolt: 6.5/10. Yep, I kinda enjoy this song. Fun and catchy, although dull and cheesy at times. I like how it changes the time in the chorus. I don't think it's that bad.

- Aftermath: 7.5/10. Beautiful ballad, I like the guitar work in this one. But I don't like the ending, "cheesiness" again :LOL:

- The Globalist: 7/10. I'm dissapointed with it. Although it's a solid tune, I expected way more. I enjoy the first 6 minutes (Morricone part + riff) but the piano part... I can't feel it.

- Drones: 3.5/10. I wouldn't say it's bad. The vocals are great. But it's just not my cup of tea, sorry Matt. This is way too much :LOL:

So, average... 7,5. it seems right to me. Solid album, great first half, dissapointing second half. It could be one of my favourite Muse albums, but, hey, it's a great improvement over T2L! :happy:

Old tracks

Dead Inside: sexy stomper which still pulls out the feels. 9/10

Psycho: fun use of a classic riff, awesome melodies, but too long. 8/10

Mercy: Muse by numbers, decent but highly derivative. 6/10

Reapers: best track of the last three albums. 10/10

First impressions

The Handler

I've given this several listens and it's growing on me. Like Psycho, good riffs and melodies, but drags on too long. Hints at the direction of the following tracks by channeling Showbiz-era lyrics.

Defector

It's like Weezer meets Queen on acid. Seriously, it sounds exactly like a middle aged man singing teenage angst. I can't interpret this as anything other than a pisstake at Muse conservatists.

Revolt

As if Defector wasn't funny enough, now they're invoking Taylor Swift, mixed with more teenage angst and hints of Fillip. It's challenging, gloriously messy, and I have no idea what to think.

Aftermath

Beautiful track driven by soaring guitar lines and dreamy synth. Very much a power ballad, complete with the familiar drum beat explosion into the final chorus, after which Matt and Chris proceed to sing a duet. What the fuck is happening

The Globalist

Finally, things calm back down. The intro sends chills down your spine, building towards a hard rocking middle section which ends far too quickly. Then a pretty piano ballad and, wait for it... THAT DRUM BEAT AGAIN and it explodes into another power ballad. It's like Citizen Erased meets Explorers, absolutely mental.

Drones

Does not sound like Cara Mia from Portal. Fuck you Muse.

Only listened to the 2nd half once so more listens eould be handy but here we go:

Dead Inside - Decent tune, guitar in the second half is a bit dull but great vocals and pretty catchy. Some of the better lyrics on the album as well. (7/10)

Psycho - Great verses, just about everything else is dead repetitive but still enjoyable. (7/10)

Mercy - Good, catchy verses but boring and annoying chorus. (4/10)

Reapers - Choooooon m8 (8.5/10)

The Handler - Great first half, has that sinister, eerie feeling of Fury. Solo goes on for 30 seconds too long but that's about my only gripe with it. (8/10)

Defector - Decent bits but reeeeaally repetitive, even more so than Psycho. Feels underdeveloped, nice solo though. (6.5/10)

Revolt - Nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be, judging from some of the reactions on here :chuckle: Pretty shameless pop-rock but at least it made me smile as opposed to Mercy (5/10)

Aftermath - Great guitarwork for about the first half, feels a little bit too long and strays towards the cheesy side by the end though. (6.5/10)

The Globalist - Jarring, felt like Matt was trying too hard to make another CE which is what I was afraid would happen. Morricone section felt slightly too long but the heavy bit was criminally short and underdeveloped, sounded great while it lasted though. Cheesy piano bit at the end was boring and went on for way too long. (6/10)

Not heard Drones yet but from what I've heard it's weird as fuck and generally bad.

On par with Showbiz, as I expected.

Dead Inside: One of the best songs on the album. The vocal melodies, particularly in the last chorus, are amazing. While the lyrics are pretty bad, the lyrical content still speaks to me. I was pleasantly surprised that Matt could still write a song that is actually relateable on a personal level after the banker and Illuminati bullshit on TR and T2L.

Psycho: While the riff is good and all, the song is dragged down by too many repetitions. It’s about two minutes too long and suffers greatly because of it. I’m sure it’s cool live, but even then I’ll probably get bored with it after the 128137th repetition of the riff.

Mercy: Completely forgettable Starlight knock-off. Not a bad song at all, but not really good either.

Reapers: Overrated by most boardies. That said, it’s a good song and as it turns out, one of the strongest on the album.

The Handler: This one took me by surprise. I was excited to find out that Matt/Muse can still write a dark and broody song without making it lame. This is also the only song on the album that actually sounds like a mix between Absolution and BHAR. Sinister, melodic, heavy and epic. While the solo is too long, it doesn’t really bother me in the context of the rest of the song. By far the best song on the album.

Defector: I don’t even know. I don’t think I really have an opinion on this song. Standard Queen nonsense. It definitely sounds like it could have come straight from Showbiz, but even then it would be one of the most forgettable songs on that album.

Revolt: This cancerous piece of vomit-inducing shit is just baffling to me. Why Muse? Just…why? I never thought they could write a song worse than Big Freeze, but here comes Revolt to prove me wrong. This is without a doubt my closest experience to an aural holocaust. Literally everything about this song is shit. There is not a single redeeming factor to be found here. I would be ashamed to introduce this to my fans.

Aftermath: One of the weirder tracks on the album. It starts off alright, but drags on too long and eventually becomes too much of a ”Heal the World”-singalong. Hell, if it wasn’t for Matt singing I’d never even guess this was a Muse song.

The Globalist: While I was very reserved about this song and kept my expectations as low as possible, this song actually pisses me off to no end. What we have is a stylish western opening into some beautiful vocal melodies, which leads into the heaviest thing Muse have ever recorded. The heavy part of this song is goddamn gigantic. Unfortunately, the best part of the song is abruptly cut off after a short two minutes to make way for a boring tag-team repeat of Explorers and United States of Eurasia. Honestly Muse, what is wrong with you? This song would have been fucking legendary if you had developed the heavy part into another two minutes, finished on something big and skipped the piano ballad. The 10-minute ”prog nightmare” just turned into a three and a half minute normal nightmare instead. Even aside from that, the transitions make no goddamn sense whatsoever and all it sounds like is a disjointed piece of shit. I cannot wrap my head around how you fucked up something so brilliant.

Drones: The worst closer of any Muse album. You have to be a truly pretentious fuck (or JJTheMuse) to think that this a) makes sense and b) is a good idea for a rock album. This is just Matt being really bored in the studio.

TL;DR:

The first half of the album (including The Handler) is without a doubt the strongest. The second half falls short in almost every way, introducing us to the new worst Muse song of all time (Revolt), while also destroying what could have potentially been one of the best Muse songs (The Globalist). The second half is where the album loses every bit of focus and just sounds like another ”hey let’s do everything we can think of”-experiment like TR and T2L. The second half ruins what could have been the best album since BHAR.

Edited by Dee3Dee

Originally posted this in album discussion thread but this is more appropriate place

Despite posting one of if not the most melodramatic post/s that I've seen on this thread and being very negative, i'very listened to it all the way through with headphones and no distractions for my revised album review ( massive hypocritical U-turn incoming)

Dead Inside 7/10 like it, actually is quite powerful and like the vocals tbh especially towards the end. Like the simple drums

Psycho 7/10 the ass line still irks me, but actually has grown on me, if turned up loud I can enjoy it despite the repetition (similarly I like royal blood and their riffs can be the same)

Mercy 7/10 eat my soul isn't great but rest of lyrics are alright the vocal delivery in the bridge has grown on me and I quite enjoy the tone and beat of the song, kinda dark but light music as others have mentioned, like the piano

reapers 8/9/10 a haha always loved it but hearing it after mercy makes it seem better, lyrics get more tolerable if you get into it and I love it, no change there.

The handler 9/10 great old muse, has the classic falsetto but it and the deeper vocals sound so much more controlled which adds to the dark tone, great song love the transition into outer after long bridge that builds anticipation

[JFK] into defector 7/10 great build love the JFK riff thing the transition went unoticed by me very smooth. Dislike the queen harmonies but it's grown and rest of song I can get into, like the solo at the end particularly

Revolt 4/10 the rest of the vocals are better than the first chorus which I can't help but laugh out loud at, so camp and ridiculous I can picture an intro montage of clips from a kids TV show where they freeze frame while jump high giving at the end. But makes me happy because of how silly it is and so is redeeming, kind of fun to jokingly sing along with if you know what I mean

Aftermath 7/10 beautiful song, end is a bit ott but I like it overall, can overlook cliché lyrics as instrumentally beautiful

globalist 9/10 don't know what the problem with the transitions are to me they're fine, love the slide guitar part and ofc the heavy part. Heavy part lasts right amount of time just rest of song carries on too long. But love it

Drones 7/10 don't like it as a song on its own but is interesting like am over the top even more pretentious version of soldiers poem that while weird I cam listen to with the album comfortably

I listened to it without wanting to skip a track (no other album does that even OoS although it's better anyway) and with headphones the great bass from Chris made all the songs feel more driven. Also great drums from dom everywhere too. This is definitely better as a whole experience rather than individual songs bar a few but actually am very pleased. Still prefer their more rocky stuff but a good album with great tracks, the music on this album is fantastic (lyrics less so but are not awful apart from revolt)

Sorry for very long review buy it's 1.30 and I've gotten carried away

Dead Inside: One of the best songs on the album. The vocal melodies, particular in the last chorus, are amazing. While the lyrics are pretty bad, the lyrical content still speaks to me. I pleasantly surprised that Matt could still write a song that is actually relateable on a personal level after the banker and Illuminati bullshit on TR and T2L.

Psycho: While the riff is good and all, the song is dragged down by too many repetitions. It’s about two minutes too long and suffers greatly because of it. I’m sure it’s cool live, but even then I’ll probably get bored with it after the 128137th repetition of the riff.

Mercy: Completely forgettable Starlight knock-off. Not a bad song at all, but not really good either.

Reapers: Overrated by most boardies. That said, it’s a good song and as it turns out, one of the strongest on the album.

The Handler: This one took me by surprise. I was excited to find out that Matt/Muse can still write a dark and broody song without making it lame. This is also the only song on the album that actually sounds like a mix between Absolution and BHAR. Sinister, melodic, heavy and epic. While the solo is too long, it doesn’t really bother me in the context of the rest of the song. By far the best song on the album.

Defector: I don’t even know. I don’t think I really have an opinion on this song. Standard Queen nonsense. It definitely sounds like it could have come straight from Showbiz, but even then it would be one of the most forgettable songs on that album.

Revolt: This cancerous piece of vomit-inducing shit is just baffling to me. Why Muse? Just…why? I never thought they could write a song worse than Big Freeze, but here comes Revolt to prove me wrong. This is without a doubt my closest experience to an aural holocaust. Literally everything about this song is shit. There is not a single redeeming factor to be found here. I would be ashamed to introduce this to my fans.

Aftermath: One of the weirder tracks on the album. It starts off alright, but drags on too long and eventually becomes too much of a ”Heal the World”-singalong. Hell, if it wasn’t for Matt singing I’d never even guess this was a Muse song.

The Globalist: While I was very reserved about this song and kept my expectations as low as possible, this song actually pisses me off to no end. What we have is a stylish western opening into some beautiful vocal melodies, which leads into the heaviest thing Muse have ever recorded. The heavy part of this song is goddamn gigantic. Unfortunately, the best part of the song is abruptly cut off after a short two minutes to make way for a boring tag-team repeat of Explorers and United States of Eurasia. Honestly Muse, what is wrong with you? This song would have been fucking legendary if you had developed the heavy part into another two minutes, finished on something big and skipped the piano ballad. The 10-minute ”prog nightmare” just turned into a three and a half minute normal nightmare instead. Even aside from that, the transitions make no goddamn sense whatsoever and all it sounds like is a disjointed piece of shit. I cannot wrap my head around how you fucked up something so brilliant.

Drones: The worst closer of any Muse album. You have to be a truly pretentious fuck (or JJTheMuse) to think that this a) makes sense and b) is a good idea for a rock album. This is just Matt being really bored in the studio.

TL;DR:

The first half of the album (including The Handler) is without a doubt the strongest. The second half falls short in almost way, introducing us to the new worst Muse song of all time (Revolt), while also destroying what could have potentially been one of the best Muse songs (The Globalist). The second half is where the album loses every bit of focus and just sounds like another ”hey let’s do everything we can think of”-experiment like TR and T2L. The second half ruins what could have been the best album since BHAR.

While I disagree with you (although would have agreed an hour ago) that is one of the funniest reviews I've read especially for revolt

Dead Inside: One of the best songs on the album. The vocal melodies, particular in the last chorus, are amazing. While the lyrics are pretty bad, the lyrical content still speaks to me. I pleasantly surprised that Matt could still write a song that is actually relateable on a personal level after the banker and Illuminati bullshit on TR and T2L.

TL;DR:

The first half of the album (including The Handler) is without a doubt the strongest. The second half falls short in almost way, introducing us to the new worst Muse song of all time (Revolt), while also destroying what could have potentially been one of the best Muse songs (The Globalist). The second half is where the album loses every bit of focus and just sounds like another ”hey let’s do everything we can think of”-experiment like TR and T2L. The second half ruins what could have been the best album since BHAR.

Sorry Dee, but I burst out laughing when I got to your review on revolt and drones, not that I disagree

TL;DR:

"My closest experience to an aural holocaust"

I laughted so hard with this.

Am yet to heard Drones and the incidental tracks, but my thoughts so far are that this album is significantly better than T2l and maybe TR (although The Globalist doesn't compare to Exo, so I'm not sure yet). The 1st half is excellent, and if they had just maintained that quality it would've been up there with BH&R, if not better, but unfortunately it stumbles a bit in its later tracks. Specifically Revolt feels terribly out of place. Not the worst thing they've ever done, but definitely the worst thing on this album. Aftermath was quite disappointing, too. I thought the first half was great, but it should've ended there rather than the over the top sing-along nonsense. The Globalist was overall really good, but the poor handling of the middle section was incredibly frustrating.

Here we go.

1-Bad, 2-Not Great, 3-Good, 4-Excellent, 5-Perfect

Dead Inside (2.5/5)

Not a terrible track, but not something I will really listen to that often. I like the first half the most.

Drill Sergeant + Psycho (3.5/5)

I really enjoy this. So much fun, great riff, awesome live. Yeah, it's a bit long... But meh. Love it.

Mercy (3/5)

I like this, it's pretty huge live and kinda catchy. Like the bass. Very BH&R.

Reapers (4.5/5)

Awesome track! Starts off fine but builds up to be incredible. The last section gives me goosebumps.

The Handler (5/5)

Best thing Muse have written since Glorious for me. Adore this track. This is what Muse are to me.

JFK + Defector (4/5)

Took a while to warm to this but I like it now. It's great for head banging and puts a smile on my face. JFK leads into it well. Think this will get even better with every listen.

Revolt (3/5)

I don't think it deserves the grief it gets but I understand why people don't like it. I however find it really catchy and good fun.

Aftermath (2.5/5)

Hated on first listen. Didn't wanna finish it. However, it's better after a few more. The main thing I dislike is the first half of the chorus. So much cringe and ballad cliche. The rest is fine, though. Not fussed.

The Globalist (3.5/5)

Underwhelmed at first, but it does get better with each listen. Some absolutely incredible parts. Piano definitely drags on at the end. Still great though.

Drones (1.5/5)

I think Matt is brave for attempting this and don't think he did a bad job... But I hate this. Mainly because the lyrics are absolutely atrocious. Otherwise it might be okay... Weird end to an otherwise pretty consistent album!

Overall 3.5/5

Better than T2L, TR and Showbiz. That's pretty much all I could realistically ask for, so I'm happy! The Handler is pretty much one of my favourite Muse tracks ever now..

EDIT: Coming around to Drones. Could be a 3/5.

Edited by -FutureStar-

It was a good album! Not great, not bad, but miles better than T2L.

Definitely looking forward to the tours! Especially since it looks/hears like the heaviness in the live performances are back and not toned down like in T2L tour.

Screw it I'll grade it now after 5 or 6 listens.

Dead Inside: 9/10 - Perfect Opener for the narrative, in your face, bold, great vocals

Drill Sargent/Pyscho: 9/10 - Solid Rocker

Mercy: 8/10 - Good single, great use of falsetto

Reapers: 10/10 - DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!

The Handler: 10/10 - If you dislike this song then I will not pray for your soul

JFK/Defector: 9/10 - So Much fun to listen too. Enough said.

Revolt: 9/10 Great vocals, decent lyrics (better than defectors & Psycho's), sounds like a boy band song yes but its Matt 'Freakin' Bellamy so get over it, and the guitar is cool as heck, especially after the 2nd chorus line. Suck it if you hate this song, totally understand if you simply dislike it but its what Big Freeze should have been. Now that song blows.

Aftermath: 8.5/10 - Love everything about the song except the "churchy" feel towards the end of the song but the vocals do sound great. Cool yet very subtle guitar parts throughout, can't wait to hear an instrumental of this.

The Globalist: 10/10 - I will say that this one really grew on me after a few listens. You can't judge each part indivdually, you have to judge the whole thing as one big journey song. You either take it all or you leave it all. I think people heard the guitar part in the instagram thing and read what matt had said and assumed it would be mostly be a rocker after the first 3-4mins. Excellent song.

Drones: 10/10 - I really have to listen to this when I listen to the Globalist, its really one big 13min song. So eerie.

Bottom Line: Matt's voice has NEVER sounded better or at least more controlled. Some lyrics are too cheesy but musically its there best album maybe ever.

1. Absolution 10/10

2. Drones 9.5/10

3. Origin of Symmetry 9/10

4. The Resistance 9/10

5. Black Holes and Revelations 8/10

6. Showbiz 7/10

7. The 2nd Law 6/10

Subtle, but tell us how you really feel.

I'm fairly tired so may edit this later...

Dead Inside: I don't care what other people say, I really enjoy the lyrics to this, takes a while to get started, but it's a good easy going song. Still not sure on it as opener. 6/10

Psycho: Lyrics are tongue in cheek, but this song is really fun, especially live. Not a fan of the drill Sargent throughout it and it's a tiny bit too long, but still a good song. 6.5/10

Mercy: I really like this song, possibly due to nostalgia via Starlight, but it's good! I still don't think it deserves the stick it gets. 7.5/10

Reapers: Easily one of the best songs since BHAR. Great guitar work and good to listen to in the car. 9/10

The Handler: I never thought Muse would ever produce a song which excited me like the first time I discovered their B-sides. Easily in my top 10 songs of theirs of all time. 10/10

Defector: lyrics are hit and miss but I love the guitar work, especially the solo (it reminds me of recess.) I can imagine this being a good set/encore opener. 7/10

Revolt: the less said, the better. The vocals in the chorus are okay, but that pre chorus is one of the worst things they've done imo. 2.5/10

Aftermath: I love it, this is the sorta thing save me should have been, maybe a bit too long, but I love the clean guitar. 7/10

The Globalist: I like it. I was slightly disappointed, but it's still great. I wish the tremolo in the heavy section was longer but it's still good. I like the section prior to the heavy section the most. 8/10

Drones: not my cup of tea, Matts vocals are great but I don't imagine listening to this too much 2/10