Your reviews of Drones

Jimmyneutron

What is your favourite track on Drones?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite track on Drones?

• Dead Inside
    • Drill Sergeant
    • Psycho
    • Mercy
    • Reapers
    • The Handler
    • JFK
    • Defector
    • Revolt
    • Aftermath
    • The Globalist
    • Drones

I'm glad some of the fans on this forum aren't filters for the band's music. It's like some fans are afraid of a catchy, immediate melody. Personally, I think this record is everything that makes Muse Muse. It has heavier songs, poppier songs, an electronic-ish song, a 10 minute whistling riffing piano song (that feels a bit forced), and a god damn acapella track. 98% of this album is over the top, but that's Muse. Even Origin of Symmetry was over the top. It was just over the top with less production. Eh, well, can't please everyone!

Also, I don't get the religious comparisons in Aftermath. I get a Rod Stewart vibe though. Not sure if that is any better. :LOL::LOL:

Edit: I won't rate the album because I feel that is a bit arbitrary, but I will say that as much as I enjoy this album, I also think it MAY be Muse's most accessible to casual rock music fans. That's not a bad thing! Unless it makes getting a ticket to their arena shows harder!

Edited by Redwingsrock

You better rate drones the song a lot higher or else Garfield gets it.

Yeah, that's one mistake I have to correct. Maybe I will rate The Globalist + Drones, it has a lot more sense. Drones adds weight to The Globalist, and it's not meant to be an standalone song. In fact, I don't know why it's separated in the tracklist :LOL::LOL:

I'm glad some of the fans on this forum aren't filters for the band's music. It's like some fans are afraid of a catchy, immediate melody. Personally, I think this record is everything that makes Muse Muse. It has heavier songs, poppier songs, an electronic-ish song, a 10 minute whistling riffing piano song (that feels a bit forced), and a god damn acapella track. 98% of this album is over the top, but that's Muse. Even Origin of Symmetry was over the top. It was just over the top with less production. Eh, well, can't please everyone!

Also, I don't get the religious comparisons in Aftermath. I get a Rod Stewart vibe though. Not sure if that is any better. :LOL::LOL:

Edit: I won't rate the album because I feel that is a bit arbitrary, but I will say that as much as I enjoy this album, I also think it MAY be Muse's most accessible to casual rock music fans. That's not a bad thing!

I agree, but it's impossible to please everyone. I don't think they are worse, but it's almost undeniable that they've changed a lot through the years, and fans attracted by a particular sound will have problems with their new musical output. But they will also attract new fans :LOL:. I think that's what makes Muse special, they are a very dinamic band and they attract an awful lot of very different people.

EDIT: Actually, Drones is meant to attract monks and nuns :LOL:

Edited by topo_musero

Albums getting better and better for me, its right in line with Absolution as my favorite Muse album ever. Its just flows so well as an album. I never expected The globalist to be Citizen Erased part II which is probably why I think its one of there 5 or 6 best songs ever when you consider the Drones a cappella bit as part of the song especially. Time will tell but for now I'm a very happy Muse fan!

Albums getting better and better for me

Yeah, this album has that quality. I didn't expect anything like CE II, i just simple listen to the album.After evey listen i discover a new detail that improves the experience,

I really love The Globalist, The Handler and Reapers, but even the less liked songs in this board, Revolt and Aftermath, are worth listen.

When The 2nd Law came out, people were SO sure it was better than The Resistance and I'm even pretty sure when TR came out initially people thought it was better than BHaR. The honey moon period is always the same around here, people have to believe that the album that just came out was at least better than the last one.

The Handler, Reapers and The Globalist are the only songs I really enjoy, and the latter has some of the most illogical choices within the song that I think Muse has ever made. Admittedly I have to wonder if my young self would have liked this album more, because my music taste probably has changed since then but the fact that they think that songs like Revolt are okay is just a bit much to look past at this point.

When The 2nd Law came out, people were SO sure it was better than The Resistance and I'm even pretty sure when TR came out initially people thought it was better than BHaR. The honey moon period is always the same around here, people have to believe that the album that just came out was at least better than the last one.

The Handler, Reapers and The Globalist are the only songs I really enjoy, and the latter has some of the most illogical choices within the song that I think Muse has ever made. Admittedly I have to wonder if my young self would have liked this album more, because my music taste probably has changed since then but the fact that they think that songs like Revolt are okay is just a bit much to look past at this point.

The Resistance was initially seen as a 'return to form' :LOL:

It's difficult to judge when something is new. I started off liking Starlight and Exo-Politics on first release but now find them so dull, whilst Micro Cuts, Megalomania, Ruled By Secrecy I didn't like at first but now are my favourites

I think listening to the album outside the context of being a Muse fan really helps. My wife loves the album for example, thinks it's one of the things she's ever heard. I think it's a good album but not even top 3 for Muse.

Agreed with this. It's changed my opinion on Aftermath and The Globalist quite a bit-- especially on Aftermath. It's a fairly decent song with some emotional heft, but I don't think it works as a Muse song.

Revolt... there's no excuse or explanation to redeem this one quite yet. I'll wait for the musical to change my mind. :LOL:

The Resistance was initially seen as a 'return to form' :LOL:

It's difficult to judge when something is new. I started off liking Starlight and Exo-Politics on first release but now find them so dull, whilst Micro Cuts, Megalomania, Ruled By Secrecy I didn't like at first but now are my favourites

If I'm honest with my self, T2L is a very forgettable album, and I loved the shit out of it during the honey moon phase. I haven't gone back to listen to it in a long time, bar panic station, which wasn't even a favorite from it lol

My fear is that Drones won't even last till the end of this year :\ yeah I'm listening to it everyday, but that's just because its pre-honey moon right now. TH and Reapers are the only ones il come back for I feel, as much as I love Defector and DI.

While I agree with the 'honeymoon phase' assessment, I still think this will be regarded as better than TR & T2L, perhaps Showbiz too. At the moment, it's my favourite Muse album, as it's the one I want to listen to most (still haven't listened to it as a whole, will wait until release), however I know for a fact that it'll soon drop below OOS & Absolution, and probably BHAR too.

In a couple of years time, I can see a lot of BHAR vs Drones discussions - most fans consider them 'mid-ranking' Muse albums & they have a similar theme. Not sure Drones has anything that can match Map of the Problematique in my estimation, but Dead Inside, Reapers, The Handler, Defector & The Globalist match up pretty well against Take a Bow, Supermassive Black Hole, Invicible, Hoodoo & Knights of Cydonia (just as an example).

Because we all have significant others/friends/relatives that we are constantly bothering with our Muse obsession, here's my girlfriend's review of Drones.

Dead Inside: She likes the emotion in the last third of the song. Likes the dumb lyrics too.:rolleyes:

Psycho: Catchy but too repetitive. Thinks the drill sergeant should have just been used for the video.

Mercy: It's nice. Chorus vocal effects are too much, but liked it.

Reapers: She didn't remember right away which one this was. :facepalm:

The Handler: It's kind of "eh." She doesn't like how quiet the vocals are, that's probably why.

Defector: That one's good.

Revolt: Not horrible until that chorus or prechorus or whatever. Sounds like a musical.

Aftermath: Skip. Probably the worst one.

The Globalist: Three different songs, not sure how to judge. Generally a bad idea.

Drones: No wait, this is the worst one. "That's not even a song."

I don't think not being an obsessive Muse fan helped lol. Dead Inside was probably her favorite, but also thinks the album goes off the rails toward the end.

Because we all have significant others/friends/relatives that we are constantly bothering with our Muse obsession, here's my girlfriend's review of Drones.

I played my friend the Handler and his reaction was "It's ok" accompanied with a shrug :noey: to be fair though he quite likes NSC so his opinion is immediately invalidated ;)

It's a pity, because it means that a lot of generic listeners like them only for their catchiest songs...

Yeah, my friends have listened to Drones (they're not Muse fans, but they somewhat like them) and their reactions were... unexpected. The majority of them like Dead Inside/Mercy the most, while The Handler/Reapers passed unnoticed by them :LOL:. And when I tell them that they're generally seen as the best songs of the album by Muse fans, they don't believe me :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yeah, my friends have listened to Drones (they're not Muse fans, but they somewhat like them) and their reactions were... unexpected. The majority of them like Dead Inside/Mercy the most, while The Handler/Reapers passed unnoticed by them :LOL:. And when I tell them that they're generally seen as the best songs of the album by Muse fans, they don't believe me :LOL::LOL::LOL:

ridiculous