Your reviews of Drones

Jimmyneutron

What is your favourite track on Drones?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite track on Drones?

• Dead Inside
    • Drill Sergeant
    • Psycho
    • Mercy
    • Reapers
    • The Handler
    • JFK
    • Defector
    • Revolt
    • Aftermath
    • The Globalist
    • Drones

Well in fairness there are critics who use a numbered rating system and justify it. It works when it is used as tier system; 1 is bad, 2 is mediocre, 3 is good, 4 is great, etc. The idea that you can quantify something with decimals seems so weird to me though.

Matt hasn't written smart lyrics in a very long time.

Decimal scores can be really helpful when you think a round, precise number it's too reductive or campy to express your judgement.

I mean, for example: when I rate an album, I use it as a sort of instinctual medium.

(Er... Am I making enough sense?)

EDIT: It has already been said that Matt's original lyrics for Drones were supposedly more elaborate and deep than the current ones, so... It hurts thinking that they might have been the smartest of their career.

"More elaborate and deep" was never said, though.

Just that they were made more obvious to convey his message (or the message Mutt convinced him he had.)

Matt himself described his lyric writing process as "lost in the woods."

So, they might have been more vague, but "smartest" might be pushing things.

"More elaborate and deep" was never said, though.

Just that they were made more obvious to convey his message (or the message Mutt convinced him he had.)

Matt himself described his lyric writing process as "lost in the woods."

So, they might have been more vague, but "smartest" might be pushing things.

I want to give him the benefit of doubt anyway, since no one among us has ever seen those lyrics.

I'd say his best period for lyrics was probably OOS > Abso. The actively good ones have always been in the minority but those are the only two where there's very few, if any, that are actively bad. Black Holes doesn't do too bad either:

Showbiz: Sunburn vs. Fillip, Cave, Uno, Sober, Escape, Overdue

OOS: Citizen, Screenager, Dark Shines, Megalomania vs. Space Dementia(?)

Abso: Stockholm, FAWY, RBS vs. [...]?

Black Holes: TAB(?), Map, COD, Hoodoo vs. Supermassive, Soldier's Poem(?), Exo-P

TR: Undisclosed vs. Uprising, USOE, US, IBTY

T2L: [...]? vs. Supremacy, Panic Station, Survival, Animals(?), Explorers, Big Freeze

Drones: Dead Inside vs. Psycho(?), Mercy, Reapers, Defector, Revolt, Aftermath, Globalist, Drones

Jesus, doing that made me realise just how dire the last two albums are lyrically (and that's without even counting NSC).

Edited by Jobby

I'd say his best period for lyrics was probably OOS > Abso. The actively good ones have always been in the minority but those are the only two where there's very few, if any, that are actively bad. Black Holes doesn't do too bad either:

Showbiz: Sunburn vs. Fillip, Cave, Uno, Sober, Escape, Overdue

OOS: Citizen, Screenager, Dark Shines, Megalomania vs. Space Dementia(?)

Abso: Stockholm, FAWY, RBS vs. [...]?

Black Holes: TAB(?), Map, COD, Hoodoo vs. Supermassive, Soldier's Poem(?), Exo-P

TR: Undisclosed vs. Uprising, USOE, US, IBTY

T2L: [...]? vs. Supremacy, Panic Station, Survival, Animals(?), Explorers, Big Freeze

Drones: Dead Inside vs. Psycho(?), Mercy, Reapers, Defector, Revolt, Aftermath, Globalist, Drones

Jesus, doing that made me realise just how dire the last two albums are lyrically (and that's without even counting NSC).

Animals is fine until the 'kill yourself and do us all a favour' part

oh that reminds me I was planning to do a video-review of this album several years later, once I'm free to show my face on the interwebz to everyone without a possibility to be laughed at by my classmates and the other school people. :$

You could always do like gradeAunderA or Bearing (awful youtuber tho) and use a cartoon.

Not everyone has time or sufficing skills to make a cartoon unfortunately, even in extremely limited animation.

Such an idea is cute and creative, though.

Have you actually seen GradeAUnderA?

No, but my mind made me imagine more complicated things regarding the fact of using a cartoon alter-ego or something in an extensive way.

Anyway, how this youtuber use the cartoon element in his/her videos?

It would be quicker to just search but here

Things I wish they did In the studio version of Drones that they do live:

Doms little hi-hat slice in the second verse of Mercy right after "Running from the-"

Matt saying You, You are empowered to do as you please in The Handler as opposed to just one You

"It's you and me now" instead of " it's you and me babe" in the Globalist

Obviously they're really subtle but I always notice when I listen to the album in my car instead of listening to a live version and wonder if anyone else gets irked in the same way

Edited by yoyonco10

Matt saying You, You are empowered to do as you please in The Handler as opposed to just one You

He doesn't say it three times on the album, two of them are an echo of the first 'you'. Same with the live version, but the echoes aren't live (check the download performance)

He doesn't say it three times on the album, two of them are an echo of the first 'you'. Same with the live version, but the echoes aren't live (check the download performance)

That's what I mean, he does two non echo You's live, whereas on the album he Just says You (you,you) are empowered, and live he does You (you,you) You are empowered....right? I could be wrong, also I feel like this is pretty hard to explain lol

That's what I mean, he does two non echo You's live, whereas on the album he Just says You (you,you) are empowered, and live he does You (you,you) You are empowered....right? I could be wrong, also I feel like this is pretty hard to explain lol

Ah right I understand what you mean now ;)

Ah right I understand what you mean now ;)

Yeah, I like the live way much better, seems like he performed it that way since the beginning too, I wonder if he regrets not coming up with it in time

For the recording lol

I support any and all elimination of the word "babe."

Unrelated to Drones, but there's that little guitar bit consistently played live in KoC right before the vocals start, and I just cannot deal with it not being there on the album.

It is in the album version though isn't it? It's just buried in the mix a little bit and kinda sounds more synthy than guitar in a way, also i think his execution of it lives a little different

2:02 that part?

• 4 weeks later...

A year ago today since Drones came out? Fuck... where does the time go?

Atm, I still love Reapers & The Handler, and I like Dead Inside, Psycho, Defector, the title track (weirdly) and parts of The Globalist. Mercy and Revolt I can take or leave, despite the former being surprisingly good live and the latter having a bit of kistchy fun to it, and I tend to forget Aftermath exists.