Are there any other parts that could be confused with the instrumental bridges in Psycho and The Handler?

You were complaining about the solos and I was trying to understand why you found them boring and thought there were too many of them. Thing is, unlike you, I didn't count Psycho, which I also find boring and unnecessary. Therefore I understand your point better now.

If you say you do not like Mutt's involvement, because he pushed Matt to do more solo's, it is important to know what Mutt's definition of a solo is.

The section from the Handler and Psycho you reference as a solo, might just as well be a bridge that Matt thought of even without Mutt pushing for more solo's.

So the definition of the word 'solo' is relevant to the discussion.

Yeah, Mutt's definition. Not anyone on this board's. And it was from an interview, taking them 100% literally rarely works. Matt could just simply refer to them as solos in the interview for simplicity, or without thinking about the definition before answering.

You were complaining about the solos and I was trying to understand why you found them boring and thought there were too many of them. Thing is, unlike you, I didn't count Psycho, which I also find boring and unnecessary. Therefore I understand your point better now.
I find every solo on the album boring, it's just that I can't remember the ones I didn't mention. But yeah I include Psycho.

Yeah, Mutt's definition. Not anyone on this board's. And it was from an interview, taking them 100% literally rarely works. Matt could just simply refer to them as solos in the interview for simplicity, or without thinking about the definition before answering.

I find every solo on the album boring, it's just that I can't remember the ones I didn't mention.

Which is speculation, that's why I'm saying not all the flaws you mentioned are necessarily Mutt's fault.

However, when you find all the solo's boring, this discussion is no longer relevant. But it wasn't that obvious you meant all of them in your first post.

How have some people got the album already? Different countries yeah? I live in the UK, got an e-mail from Warner last night, some kind of shipping confirmation, so I take it it's on its way. Still not really expecting it till Monday though.

Usually in NI any pre-orders I have done in the past arrive on the Saturday before release.

Which is speculation, that's why I'm saying not all the flaws you mentioned are necessarily Mutt's fault.

However, when you find all the solo's boring, this discussion is no longer relevant. But it wasn't that obvious you meant all of them in your first post.

Basically: Mutt told them to do more solos, I don't like any of the solos (or the bridges in The Handler and Psycho), so therefore Mutt had a negative influence. I CAN enjoy a solo, but it simply felt forced or unnecessary most of the time.

And of course I'm not blaming all the faults on him. My point was that the two hands-on things he influenced as a produced were both things that I didn't like about the album.

Basically: Mutt told them to do more solos, I don't like any of the solos (or the bridges in The Handler and Psycho), so therefore Mutt had a negative influence. I CAN enjoy a solo, but it simply felt forced or unnecessary most of the time.

And of course I'm not blaming all the faults on him. My point was that the two hands-on things he influenced as a produced were both things that I didn't like about the album.

I thought I heard Matt say in a recent interview that they pretty much had the songs/arrangements written prior to going into the studio?

I'm not saying that Mutt didn't have an influence, but I was under the impression that the songs were written, from a musical standpoint, prior to recording.

I thought I heard Matt say in a recent interview that they pretty much had the songs/arrangements written prior to going into the studio?

I'm not saying that Mutt didn't have an influence, but I was under the impression that the songs were written, from a musical standpoint, prior to recording.

Doesn't mean you can't add to them during the recording process. That was part of Mutt's job afaik, basically going "what if you add this here" or "What if we just skip this part?"

I haven't added any of the leaked stuff to my phone yet, and I've only listened to it once.

The officially released stuff makes for some very good listening while I walk around town, somehow even Dead Inside and Mercy clicked when I listen to the whole thing through. Not that I love them, but I don't feel the need to skip them yet.

Defector was a definite meh when I first listened to it, but now that I can sing along a bit it's quite the enjoyable guilty pleasure. I really hope the final tracks will undergo a similar transformation because I didn't like any of them upon first listen.

As for the solo discussion:

The solos themselves aren't amazing, but most songs need them to stop them from being repetitive. I don't know if that's a good thing, but it works for me on this album. I can handle the Reapers solo for it's wanky over the topness without the need for bells and whistles. I can handle the Defector solo because it's actually good to my ears and the song itself really needs some diversity. I'm still puzzled by the Handler's solo/bridge. Not sure what they were going for there.

I'm loving the bridge/solo on The Handler.

Even after many listens it still goes on a little longer than I anticipate but there is something about it I enjoy. I like the small changes in the dumming and even though the guitar remains the same, I still feel like it's building.

Could see Matt possibly messing around with it down the line during live shows.

I think Reapers and Defector solos are some of Matt's best. On my second listen to the album now and I remember that Aftermath had a nice solo but the Revolt solo was pretty forgettable. And yeah, I would count Psycho and The Handler as bridges and not solos.

Doesn't mean you can't add to them during the recording process. That was part of Mutt's job afaik, basically going "what if you add this here" or "What if we just skip this part?"

That would make sense given that he did have Matt "dumb down" the lyrics a bit.

I enjoy Mutt's production, so I wouldn't be upset if they worked with him in the past. He certainly did keep them from going in all different directions. That being said, if he really did have a significant input on the lyrics, then I might be interested to see how Muse would sound with a different producer.

I do think that they need a producer of some sort for their records from here on out so that they can stay focused on their playing, rather than knob turning.