No problem with a producer however people mentioning (without sources) that Matt said mutt is the one who told him to write simple lyrics has made me resent him as I feel this album could have been infinitely better with better lyrics as tbh I like it I think but lyrically it is awful. But as I said I don't know whether mutt actually told him that

Has anyone watched their bonus DVD yet? I'm just curious how the Handler sounds in it's "live" incarnation.

???

The Handler wasn't played live. The DVD contains footage of the band playing the album in the studio or what?

No problem with a producer however people mentioning (without sources) that Matt said mutt is the one who told him to write simple lyrics has made me resent him as I feel this album could have been infinitely better with better lyrics as tbh I like it I think but lyrically it is awful. But as I said I don't know whether mutt actually told him that

The source for this was literally in the thread the comments cropped up in; for the Whitey interview yesterday, I believe.

The one I mentioned was either the interview where Matt was wearing that damn hoodie, or the other one that came out at the same time.

Video one, though, and I can't check at work. Where he describes his lyrics and themes as getting "lost in the woods."

So, either this really happened, or Matt told the exact same lie at least twice.

Yeah, apparently Matt strayed off with the lyrics and it became too convoluted or something. Mutt told him to keep it simple and relatable. No one can be really sure if it's all on Mutt's blame for the lyrics on the album, Matt wrote them after all, but considering that quote I'm sure he had a hand in it. I know it would almost be suicidal for their reputation in the online communities and it probably would never happen, but I'd love for Muse to work with Nigel Godrich.

The source for this was literally in the thread the comments cropped up in; for the Whitey interview yesterday, I believe.

The one I mentioned was either the interview where Matt was wearing that damn hoodie, or the other one that came out at the same time.

Video one, though, and I can't check at work. Where he describes his lyrics and themes as getting "lost in the woods."

So, either this really happened, or Matt told the exact same lie at least twice.

Ah I think I might have seen the hoodie one? Anyway yeah in that case that makes me kinda resent him as I know matt can right good lyrics, especially as the concept is something he actually cares about yet sounds forced and uninspired.

After several listens I am starting to form my opinion on the album.

The biggest disappointment for me is by far The Globalist. Not sure what Matt was thinking...

He was quoted as calling it a "ten minute long prog rock nightmare" and saying how it was the "sequel" to citizen. All absolute rubbish!

The song is a disjointed mess that doesn't really flow properly at all...the opening buildup is tolerable as you know the heavy shredding is coming, and it goes for a pathetic 2 minutes!

2 minutes?! That's it? No vocals during thr guitar part of the song? It's a 10 minute track with about 2 minutes of rock? That's so dissapointing.

Then it meanders uninterestingly into some cheesy drawn out piano bit for almost 4 minutes that sounds like something ripped off from the close of a musical.

What a waste of a ten minute song. It's all buildup and outro with no real proper middle.

Too much hype and rubbish spoken by Matt has overhyped this song for me and I knew it was going to dissapoint me, but not this much!

I thought Itd be:

1 minute of whistling, 2 minutes of the slide guitar and vocals and then hit the rock til about the 8 minute mark for the piano outro. After all, citizens piano outro is fairly short compared to this uninteresting cheese on the globalist.

4/10. It's a sequel to United States of Eurasia and City of Delusion more than anything else. Except nowhere near as good as either! Had so much potential, but Matt has butchered it by going too far with his film score obsession.

Edited by PlugInYorkie

Ah I think I might have seen the hoodie one? Anyway yeah in that case that makes me kinda resent him as I know matt can right good lyrics, especially as the concept is something he actually cares about yet sounds forced and uninspired.

Agree.

I'd love for Muse to work with Nigel Godrich.

I've thought this for a while as well.

There were vocals, just no lyrics. There were some chants in the background too.

Not proper vocals; as in Matt singing. I really thought the rock part of the song would be far longer and the it just sounds like a brief live jam thrown in the middle randomly 😔

Just Googled who Nigel Godrich is.

Can't tell if you guys are joking or not...

It's not a joke, I think this could be good too to tease out an album full of subtleties which is essentially the complete opposite of what Muse have ever done for the mostpart. Thing is it would cement "that" comparison.

Just Googled who Nigel Godrich is.

Can't tell if you guys are joking or not...

I was expecting this sort of reaction lol. Personally, i'm completely serious. It's not just for his work with Radiohead but he also basically made my favorite Beck album. It's just a pipe-dream though.

It's not a joke, I think this could be good too to tease out an album full of subtleties which is essentially the complete opposite of what Muse have ever done for the mostpart. Thing is it would cement "that" comparison.

That's why I said it, getting him in would result in every fucker on the Internet making jokes for eternity, already lazy music critics would have a field day and it would make them generally a laughing stock to a lot of people

That's why I said it, getting him in would result in every fucker on the Internet making jokes for eternity, already lazy music critics would have a field day and it would make them generally a laughing stock to a lot of people

Would it matter if it could elevate the music to another level? They write way different to Radiohead now anyway.