They're that anti-social person at a party who, after someone showed a YouTube video about a guy who plays guitar really well, tries to continuously show everyone videos of other great guitarists long after everyone else have moved on.

This is very specific...

Had to laugh out loud at tonight's setlist, the difference between it and night 1 is unreal. Find it very hard to believe the band don't know what they're doing when they do stuff like this

I presume they do know what they're doing. They must think more casual fans attend on the first night than the rest (which is flawed logic to begin with, especially if those are the tickets that go on sale first). On the flip side, if they remain consistent with night 2 getting more varied sets than night 1 etc at least they are making their intentions clear. The problem is, they haven't been consistent at all.

They obviously know what their doing... but it's so insanely stupid it's impossible for us to really guess why.

More hardcore fans will scramble to get the first available tickets, while people who are less enthusiastic often wait, and the more gigs added, the more likely that the later gigs are full of people who bought tickets as an afterthought, and that the more interested fans possibly couldn't afford to buy six hundred dollars worth of concert tickets and are stuck with a crappy setlist.

I'm still rather paranoid that Matt does it intentionally to see if the city's crowds "deserve" better songs, then sees what he wants he wants to, and gives LA two shit sets.

On the flip side, if they remain consistent with night 2 getting more varied sets than night 1 etc at least they are making their intentions clear.

Not really much of a flip side when they're making those intentions clear months after people already bought tickets.

Really though, 2nd night syndrome is practically a cornerstone of Muse tours at this point so it's to be expected, as baseless and shitty as it is. It's clearly intentional so they must have some form of logic behind it, though what that is is anybody's guess.

Well i'm pretty much a massive fan boy so yeah, to me being 'in their presence' means a lot to me personally, but you have taken it a little bit too literally. Of course I'd want music, i'm not spending £70 just to have Muse stand in front of me, I'm saying it all just adds to the experience. So no, I'm not or would be happy to spend a large amount of money just see to Muse or any other band for that matter, just stand on the stage.

You've literally never had a bad experience. The list of shows you've attended reads as a list of gigs that are the best of each touring era. You've gotten longer sets, you've gotten a substantial amount of rotation for multiple dates with plenty of deep cuts and B-sides. You've been rewarded for being a fan consistently, I don't blame you for being a fanboy, I would be one too if that was the band I've been seeing for the past 6 years.

Hell, even at the arena shows, you've gotten a really solid set.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Just tell him to check his privilege.

I really do hate that phrase and the sort of people who use it unironically but the European Muse fan privilege is real and it's time people recognize it.

Last night's set and the night before got all the rotation we received across 6 shows in the South West of the United States (except for Feeling Good), but we weren't fortunate enough to get Stockholm or Take a Bow or Bliss.

The only positive thing I can say about the US' treatment versus Europe is at least they're not playing more songs over there (except for the poor fuckers that got 16 songs). Keep in mind I am not advocating 17 song sets, it's way too short, but at least they're not screwing us in length in addition to what those sets contain.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

(Here I go)

My issues with the phrase, and the whole attention on "privilege" apply here too, hence the joke. I'm sure Euro fans can acknowledge this privilege. They've followed the sets, seen the footage, heard the countless complaints. But focusing solely on acknowledgement is useless by itself without follow up call to action. What is it that you want them to do about this?

European fans aren't making the band favor them. Their major social media campaign hasn't even been succesfull (yet). Should they stop enjoying themselves? Should they campaign for Muse to play less variation? Obviously no, those are exaggerations, but then what? They're not the band's managers, they're not the band's promoters. They're not responsible for any of this. Pulling everyone else down isn't going to help. Reminding them they're favored isn't going to help.

Maniac's comment was directed mostly at other Europeans, since these 2 nights were both European. It was not patronizing to American audiences. And he was defending a setlist that, considering his background, should have been mostly a repeat of other concerts. If anything that would give more of a reason to complain, not less, since that prior point has been a common source of complaint for others.

Also, if we're really gonna go down the route of history, you've seen Muse on the US Absolution and Black Holes tours. Your list is probably enough to rival many of the Europeans on this board. It's certainly more than anything I've seen and can probably ever hope to see unless I leave the country. That doesn't somehow invalidate or lessen your criticisms.

What's happening in the US is very widely structured by Muse. The hardcore fans have been attending gigs, spreading the songs that really represent the band, being loyal to their releases. That Muse would promote something might lighter than what they are, and then get the resulting crowds, is a fault on their shoulders, even if the fans get hurt resultingly too. As futile as many attempts to get the band to realize this in some way have been it's certainly better than sitting around being negative about it. I've been as critical as the rest but I've also not seen many solutions, or even attempts at such, offered to all of this.

I really do hate that phrase and the sort of people who use it unironically but the European Muse fan privilege is real and it's time people recognize it.

Last night's set and the night before got all the rotation we received across 6 shows in the South West of the United States (except for Feeling Good), but we weren't fortunate enough to get Stockholm or Take a Bow or Bliss.

The only positive thing I can say about the US' treatment versus Europe is at least they're not playing more songs over there (except for the poor fuckers that got 16 songs). Keep in mind I am not advocating 17 song sets, it's way too short, but at least they're not screwing us in length in addition to what those sets contain.

lol so when it's used for real life societal issues it's wrong, but it's totally appliable to Muse setlists?

Ridiculous.

I for one cannot wait to have a subpar setlist on night 1 Manchester next month. Even though that was the original date that the majority of hardcores bought tickets for originally. Not everyone can afford to go to multiple nights of a tour

Night 1 at Amsterdam wasn't bad (no Reapers or AP though). Seems its the long residencies (1st night play it safe, make sure everything works then go for it?)

I presume they do know what they're doing. They must think more casual fans attend on the first night than the rest (which is flawed logic to begin with, especially if those are the tickets that go on sale first). On the flip side, if they remain consistent with night 2 getting more varied sets than night 1 etc at least they are making their intentions clear. The problem is, they haven't been consistent at all.

Especially when fans have access to pre-sales...

They must know they're doing that shitlist on the precise day fans from the official board come.

And I'm picking the "shitlist" word intentionally because I was there on Saturday and throwing at me USoE, Starlight, Madness, UD and Revolt one after the other is definitely not the best thing to do. Also keeping Dead Inside and Madness in the same setlist is kinda stupid IMO because they're both songs with the exact same structure.

Lucky us we still got PiB, Hysteria and TiRO, and they always keep KoC to close the gig.

Also, as I was in the standing floor area, I must say the crowd has been particularly disgustingly bad. Only a few of us was jumping around and singing. The rest was just standing still and barely dancing a bit. I even stopped jumping at some point because I thought I was pissing off most of the people around me.

I also got feedback from a few fans they got punched + random elbows because they were jumping. This is crazy.

Really the worst gig I've attended so far...

Finally, I'm wondering if this bad experience is due to the fact it's a small venue and part of that first phase of the Drones Tour or not. I'm looking for the big stadium Tour to come back to Belgium and hope things will turn out in a better way than they did on Saturday. Went there with 2 friends for whom it was their first time attending a Muse gig and I must say I'm hoping they will go for another one later because it was definitely not the experience and memories I wanted them to keep.

Edited by Xav

Who knows which crazy ideas for stage and performance they would have come with, if they had decided to do that.

Considering a lot of stadiums are open air, they'd honestly have to scale down a bit if they wanted to do a 360 design stage again. I don't know if you can do overhead when you don't have a roof to attach everything to, but I'm sure they could at least get the curtains working (which is honestly the best part about the show anyways)

Considering a lot of stadiums are open air, they'd honestly have to scale down a bit if they wanted to do a 360 design stage again. I don't know if you can do overhead when you don't have a roof to attach everything to, but I'm sure they could at least get the curtains working (which is honestly the best part about the show anyways)

I've thought of something in the vein of the crashing plane, or the flying pig, featured in many Pink Floyd shows.