There's no way he could sing the ending.

There is no rule that says it has to be done in the original key, or even by going that high. Don't know why this is so hard to grasp.

Just look at Take A Bow.

There is no rule that says it has to be done in the original key, or even by going that high. Don't know why this is so hard to grasp.

Just look at Take A Bow.

I'm aware of this but playing in another key wouldn't help as he's struggling to even hit the E5 in Supremacy and the D5 in the Handler without sounding coarse and it'd just sound weird if he lowered it a full octave and sang it as like an F#4 and a G#4 etc.

I'm aware of this but playing in another key wouldn't help as he's struggling to even hit the E5 in Supremacy and the D5 in the Handler without sounding coarse and it'd just sound weird if he lowered it a full octave and sang it as like an F#4 and a G#4 etc.
Lowering it to the key of F means that the last note can be replaced with an F5, which is certainly not out of his range, especially not considering Supremacy actually goes up to G5, which he sings live. Not to mention KoC in which he goes up to, once again, G5.

And lowering it an octave makes no sense since that would make parts of it like half an octave below his lowest note.

And you DO remember that it wasn't that long ago that he performed Micro Cuts, right?

Lowering it to the key of F means that the last note can be replaced with an F5, which is certainly not out of his range, especially not considering Supremacy actually goes up to G5, which he sings live. Not to mention KoC in which he goes up to, once again, G5.

And lowering it an octave makes no sense since that would make parts of it like half an octave below his lowest note.

And you DO remember that it wasn't that long ago that he performed Micro Cuts, right?

He almost always pulls away from the microphone singing the G5 in Knights and looks like he's going to shit his pants during recent Supremacy performances. All i'm saying is that while he may still be able to hit the notes I feel like he'd struggle really badly, especially if how much Take a Bow's been lowered is anything to go by.

I meant lowering the high notes right at the end of the song.

And yeah I know they did Micro Cuts a couple of times on the festival tour but I'm just saying with how much of a struggle some of his falsetto has seemed recently Showbiz may just be too tough for him to be confident of singing at the moment.

Matt seems to have ditched the guitar entirely on the second half of DI. Doing a crowd walk.

CE now.

I don't feel like I've had such strong opinions about the set list compared to others on here but the guitar ditching does bother me, especially in DI when the guitar is such a prominent part and is probably one of my favourite songs they've done over the past few albums

He almost always pulls away from the microphone singing the G5 in Knights and looks like he's going to shit his pants during recent Supremacy performances. All i'm saying is that while he may still be able to hit the notes I feel like he'd struggle really badly, especially if how much Take a Bow's been lowered is anything to go by.

I meant lowering the high notes right at the end of the song.

And yeah I know they did Micro Cuts a couple of times on the festival tour but I'm just saying with how much of a struggle some of his falsetto has seemed recently Showbiz may just be too tough for him to be confident of singing at the moment.

You literally said there was no way he could sing it though.

No one is arguing that Matt's voice is worse than it probably ever has been (well not here at least), but to say that he couldn't perform a song really isn't true, because there are loads of ways of getting around difficult notes. I mean Freddie Mercury spent entire tours reworking melodies he couldn't sing properly.

A lowered Showbiz with chorus G4s and an ending F5 is NOT impossible, in fact it's not even improbable, as it would basically become easier than songs like Supremacy and The Handler. The question is if Muse can bother to rework it that much, since they don't really have a history of doing so, unless it's turning them into piano songs.

Is it physically possible for someone to shit their pants hitting a note like that...? Just like, blow out your bungus...

Just curious.

If you need to go then yeah I guess so as you're using your diaphragm. I know Hugh Jackman once pissed himself hitting a high note in a musical.

Matt was pretty open when fans asked him about the songs they've ended up playing like Map, CE and TaB, so I don't see any reason to believe he was less than serious when he said things like he didn't think he could sing Showbiz again, and evaded saying yes to it.

Unless next tour they have a young Matt hologram mime along to the album version while Matt pretends to hold hands with him...

Exactly this. ^ (what ADL said)

After the crap set lists in the US, they play a show with Citizen Erased, Bliss, Apocalypse Please and Take a Bow. That was the best set list of the whole tour...and people complain that they didn't do Showbiz?

OK

Replace all of those songs with Map, Resistance and Undisclosed Desires, and you pretty much have the show I saw.

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel

I've been gone from this board for over a week now. Let's just check back and see. Maybe it's become more positive?

...Nope, people are still complaining about how Matt's voice sucks now (which it really doesn't), whining about how we aren't getting any rarities (even though we're now getting Apocalypse Please, Citizen Erased and Take a Bow, all of which were rare on the last tour), and worshiping Origin of Symmetry like it's the greatest album in the world (one word: Absolution).

Though I will say that it's strange how Muse sounded so amazing during the Psycho Tour and the festival tour, yet Matt is now struggling to hit all the notes* and has stopped playing guitar again on the arena tour.

*At least I think he is. I don't know; he seemed fine when I saw him.

people are still complaining about how Matt's voice sucks now (which it really doesn't)

Complaining that he's struggling more than he did last tour, which he is, and that's worth discussion because this is a discussion forum. He was struggling in the festival tour too.

whining about how we aren't getting any rarities (even though we're now getting Apocalypse Please, Citizen Erased and Take a Bow, all of which were rare on the last tour)

People are happy about those, it's the gigs that got either none or one (compared to nights that got many) that are getting some complaints.

Iand worshiping Origin of Symmetry like it's the greatest album in the world (one word: Absolution).

That was one guy mostly and he was being argued against. The best received night had no Origin songs at all.

I've been gone from this board for over a week now. Let's just check back and see. Maybe it's become more positive?

...Nope, people are still complaining about how Matt's voice sucks now (which it really doesn't), whining about how we aren't getting any rarities (even though we're now getting Apocalypse Please, Citizen Erased and Take a Bow, all of which were rare on the last tour), and worshiping Origin of Symmetry like it's the greatest album in the world (one word: Absolution).

Though I will say that it's strange how Muse sounded so amazing during the Psycho Tour and the festival tour, yet Matt is now struggling to hit all the notes* and has stopped playing guitar again on the arena tour.

*At least I think he is. I don't know; he seemed fine when I saw him.

Now you're trolling right?

For the record, I'm a happy muser! I went on nights 3 and 4. I didn't expect anything special and in the end, they played my favs songs. During the shows, I didn't notice Matt's voice (except on DI...), the short setlist etc. I was just in awe :D

I could die quite happily if over two gigs I got Stockholm, Map, AP, TaB, Bliss, CE, B&H and Blackout.

But I'd also be quite pissed off if I went to night 1 or 5 and got ripped off.

I feel like they're almost there, the rotations are good and spread throughout (instead of being stuffed into the pre-piano section). The only problems are the length and the fact that some nights get completely screwed over.

Also, what's this rubbish about the DI barrier walk being back? Thought that crap was behind us. So he's guitarless for DI, UD, Uprising, Starlight and blackout now?

Little too many similarities for such a residency, makes it really noticeable, wish Defector/Aftermath popped up and some of the hits were at least rotated as always but I mean I could've gone to pretty much any show beyond night 1 and been infinitely happier with those five nights versus my five nights.

Honestly with Take a Bow making an appearance, along with CE/B&H popping up and Stockholm being rotated with Reapers/Undisclosed Desires, that pretty much addresses everything I took issue with besides the set length and inconsistency between shows. This is the Drones Tour done well and is what I was expecting going into them from the 2015 festivals.

Also, if Matt wants to play some heavy guitar, take it out during DI (same gig had guitarless barrier walk during Dead Inside but he riffed out Endless Nameless after Mercy). The fuck was that? Other than that, solid show.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge