Thinking Resistance > Handler > Assassin > Supermassive > Starlight > AP.

Pathetic set so far. Worse than night 1 and missing a song between The Handler and SMBH.

Well that was a let down :(

Maybe changing something up later on with that missing song slot, like Defector + Revolt? or UD + GL

Agreed, but sadly they've put themselves in this situation by allowing themselves to be marketed as a pop band. If people come to see Madness and Undisclosed Desires, it's gonna be harder to introduce other stuff, since those really poppy songs don't really represent the majority of the catalogue.

I know someone will say that Muse don't do the marketing themselves but to that I just say that Muse are one of the biggest bands on the planet, they can have as much control as they want. If they weren't happy with Warner, they wouldn't extend their contract.

They like the quick cash, lack of hassle, with Warner, I'm sure. And they can clearly keep riding on their past success in most non-US areas of the world.

The most inexplicable thing of this whole cycle, for me, has been on the topic of "hits." And specifically, Reapers.

Reapers, somehow (and I don't mean song quality, I mean... literally, when was this released as a single?) made it to top 10 on US Mainstream rock radio. I mean, the rock charts are grim anyways, but that still tops their other stuff, including Uprising, according to Billboard. So, Muse has a respectable, decent hit in the US that *isn't* a pop song! *gasp*

So... what do they do...? They fucking drop it from the US tour until fans beg and plead for it back.

Their current radio hit.

You can't even say "Muse is just playing the hits the crowds want" anymore... You can't even exactly say they play pop stuff because no one wants the rock stuff, now can you?

If they LIKE playing the pop stuff, good on 'em.

But, that seems to not be the truth, and they seem to bitch about it, and the softer crowds.

And I think there's actual hard evidence that Muse could turn that around if they wanted, and at the very least get a more diverse crowd at their gigs.

Maybe they should look at themselves, figure that shit out, before putting it on the US fans...

It's also an issue for people who faithfully see them from tour to tour when they play the same songs every time out.

I've always had the unpopular opinion that rotations aren't that great of a thing. Unless you're playing six nights in a city, I'd much, MUCH rather they put some real thought into making a balanced, quality setlist that covered the hits, some new material, nod to the old albums, etc. Many, many bands have success with that.

It's not good for fans who travel, but I don't think a band should have to cater to that, tbh, because it's only a tiny sliver of the fanbase that has the time and money for that, or even wants to in the first place.

The above quote is a much larger problem, and I will say Muse's gigs seem kinda "samey" from tour to tour, and that IS a problem.

The fact that they didn't dare to use Reapers as a proper single is so weak. Its chorus is infinitely more catchy than Mercy or Revolt.

There is quite a bit of hilarity in the fact that they were too chicken to use one of the actual rock songs as a single, off their "back to the basics rock" album...

...and that despite their best efforts one of them managed to actually do really well on the charts.

tbf, US rock radio still isn't a huge fan of the falsetto, and of the 70+ stations that picked up Reapers, a chunk of them would only play it on off-hours, despite it being Top 10, because it wasn't "a good fit."

Which makes how well the song did even more impressive.

I wonder if they'll stick Assassin in the encore like TAB. They're still a song short right now...

Globalist now so must just be the standard Mercy + Knights encore and a 16 song gig. Wank, but I guess it was bound to happen eventually.

I heard Reapers on Minnesota's horrendous cock rock station, so that shocks me that you haven't heard it in LA. :chuckle:

Purely accidentally, because it's one of those old fashioned, ACDC stations that markets itself on sports, drunkenness, homophobia and barely legal girls in bikinis.

Well, I mean, most of those are fine. :LOL::LOL:

LA has three classic rock type stations that wouldn't play Muse, a new rock station that has turned mainly alternative (so wouldn't play hard Muse), and an alternative rock station. So that's probably the likelier explanation.

I would have a mild freak out if I heard in on the radio, just from shock.

TAB again! Didn't see that coming.

WHAAAA????

OK, well then, Paris Night 5 did NOT get 'MURICA'd. They got swerved.

ADL will be happy, since they're *ending* with TAB now.

EDIT:

Setlist.fm has TAB then Mercy then KoC... but is TAB last tonight?

Well, I mean, most of those are fine. :LOL::LOL:

LA has three classic rock type stations that wouldn't play Muse, a new rock station that has turned mainly alternative (so wouldn't play hard Muse), and an alternative rock station. So that's probably the likelier explanation.

I would have a mild freak out if I heard in on the radio, just from shock.

None of them are fine. Half of them are terrible.

And they're all part of the reason "rock" has fallen off popularity in the US, as public tastes move on, and "rock" can't shake it's association with the drunken,frat boy image.

I was at work when I heard it, so I had to pretend I had no idea what was going on.

It was quite the shock, though.

MN is on the other side of the spectrum, btw, where we only had an indie station with poor reception that played DI, despite it's #1 status in the AA market.

If we're being really honest about Muse's "pop" hits, they're not even that. They never hit those charts, and were firmly Adult Alternative.