If it were sung by Matt, it would lack the emotion and wouldn't be tugging at the heartstrings of some the way it is now.

I'm sorry, but if he sang those lyrics, it wouldn't be as powerful a song IMO.

Agreed. I just think alcoholism is a big fucking deal to sing about (and Muse have never sung about themes like that before), and the fact that it's a song about his significant other helping him get out of the addiction makes it all the more powerful and imo, makes the lyrics not cheezy at all.

100% behind Chris singing this, not only because it's so so SO personal to him (he's singing about his wife and kids!) but because he does a great job!

Give him a break guys - it was the first EVER live performance of the song and I bet he was absolutely shitting himself. Like all Muse songs, they grow live as they get played more.

100% behind Chris singing this, not only because it's so so SO personal to him (he's singing about his wife and kids!) but because he does a great job!

Give him a break guys - it was the first EVER live performance of the song and I bet he was absolutely shitting himself. Like all Muse songs, they grow live as they get played more.

Pretty much.

I'm waiting to judge this song until I have heard the studio version.

That big-nosed German interviewer said he saw Chris before the gig and apparently Chris was a nervous wreck.

Indeed. And no wonder. Not only is he singing alone for the first time in like 15 years but he is standing next to the man who's voice and compositions have propelled muse to such a level. AND it's an emotional song. Such a brave thing to do and it sounded beautiful <3

The 'turn me into someone like you' part is just :supersad:

I don't understand how Matt Bellamy, a master at showing emotion and expression through his vocals, couldn't handle the task? Musicians and vocalists write music/lyrics for each other all the time.

I fully support Chris, he's a beast and a musical hero. Just voicing my opinion.

I think to a casual fan it might not make a difference if Matt sang it. But a lot of fans on here are a bit more emotionally invested than normal, myself included. Just knowing the history behind the song, and how hard it was for Chris to get the courage to put himself out there like that.... it just wouldn't be the same if Matt sang it, even if everyone knew it was about Chris.

Decent song, but I can't help feeling that it would have been 10x better being sung by Matt, especially since from what we've heard, The 2nd Law has the strongest Bellamy vocals to date.

I think ultimately Matt is the better vocalist of the two which is a good thing as he has sung all the songs up to now. His voice and the versatility of his voice is something I love about Muse.

I also don't think Matt would have had any problem with reflecting the emotional content. I don't think the feelings and emotions attributable to alcoholism are unique. Singing about having low self esteem, which appears to be the crux of this song, is apparent in some of Matt's songs as well. I think Chris is singing more about how it has made him feel rather than the alcoholism itself. Though (edit) I think that if Matt had sung it, it could have easily been about Matt rather than Chris in that the stuff Matt would have concentrated on in order to introduce emotion would have possibly been his own stuff.

However, I don't have any issue with Chris singing on the album. He has a nice voice and I think he performed the song well. It was interesting to hear a song from Chris and it was also a nice touch to the live gig. I think it is good for Chris to sing songs he has composed. I wouldn't want his song writing and vocal to replace Matt's, however.

I don't understand how Matt Bellamy, a master at showing emotion and expression through his vocals, couldn't handle the task? Musicians and vocalists write music/lyrics for each other all the time.

I fully support Chris, he's a beast and a musical hero. Just voicing my opinion.

I don't think it would sound as emotional from Matt because it wouldn't be genuine.

I don't think it would sound as emotional from Matt because it wouldn't be genuine.

Pretty much yes

Yes I noticed that too. :chuckle:

you were on a mission, then our hearts combined like a neutron star collision =/= watch me cause i'm on a mission, hold me back so i'm forced to listen

I truly admire Chris's bravery and i disagree matt should of sung it because of how personal it was. But...the song was just so dull compared to the others. I didnt even listen to the whole thing on first listen because i found it repetitive after a couple minutes and wanted to go back and listen to supremacy again. Its easy for me to be all 'aww' because of its back story yet it wouldnt be my honest opinion of the music.

Also, the lyrics would of been ripped up by now if they were Matt's which i think is a little unfair.

Also, the lyrics would of been ripped up by now if they were Matt's which i think is a little unfair.

Very true. I suppose people are being easy on Chris since it's his first attempt.

you were on a mission, then our hearts combined like a neutron star collision =/= watch me cause i'm on a mission, hold me back so i'm forced to listen

Except that "collision" rhymes better with "mission" than "listen". :phu:

Odd how similar they are though.

In all honesty Save Me does contain similar themes to songs Matt has done before. Thematically it also reminds me a bit of Resistance, Starlight and Bliss.

I suppose it is because different people have similar feelings and use the same words to describe them, but it is true that Matt gets stick for using overused words and phrases in his lyrics.

When Matt does it, the songs are apparently not genuine and people take the piss out the lyrics he uses to express his feelings, but when Chris does the same thing, it's beautiful and emotional.

I'm not saying that Chris' lyrics aren't genuine, what I am saying is that I think people should also be a bit more considerate regarding Matt's lyrics when they relate to personal issues.

It can't be nice for Matt to have the front row at a gig taking the piss out of personal lyrics he has written which are important to him.

/rant :ninja:

Very true. I suppose people are being easy on Chris since it's his first attempt.

I don't mind the lyrics :erm: Personally, I wouldn't slag them off if they were Matt's but I think Matt's bad lyrics are made more obvious because his voice has a certain 'pomposity' (for want of a better word) to it whereas Chris' sounds more honest and down to earth.

I don't mind the lyrics :erm: Personally, I wouldn't slag them off if they were Matt's but I think Matt's bad lyrics are made more obvious because his voice has a certain 'pomposity' (for want of a better word) to it whereas Chris' sounds more honest and down to earth.

Well I think that Matt has released so many songs about himself that he's got to the point that he disguises them. Otherwise he would be giving too much of himself away.

Also I think it's quite difficult actually to allow people insight into your feelings and emotions by expressing them clearly in a song and then take a bashing for the songs you have produced. From what Matt has said, I think he went through that with Showbiz, so he's possibly a bit more wary now.

I think for that reason Matt's songs often start in one place and end up somewhere else, but that doesn't mean that the underlying sentiment that he wants to express isn't there and actually though he does the "pompous" kind thing with some songs, a lot of his songs do still obviously contain a lot of heartfelt stuff, it's just that they are not sung in an understated way. I don't know whether Muse fans would like that, for all of the songs to be understated like Save Me. I doubt it, tbh.

Anyway, never mind. This thread is meant to be about Chris's song. It's just that the double standard has been pointed out.

Exactly.

Madness is a pretty damn honest and literal song about Matt's feelings.

I love the vocal delivery on Madness too. Just don't care much for the instrumentation and some of the effects.

And let's not make this into a Chris vs Matt thread. I like plenty of songs that Matt has written and performed, or else I wouldn't be here. ;)

Archived