Hmm well I don't agree that the songs or the quality of delivery is similar, but fair enough.

Escape and Save Me are different in terms of angst. The vocals in Save Me are a lot more calm whereas Escape is very angry, so you can't really compare the two musically.

People tend to be pretty hard on Matt, but that comes with him being seen as the person who steers the direction the band is going, and because he also collects most of the praise, too - people see him and his songs as being more fair game. I do agree that if this was a Matt song people would pull out the boring (and even cheesy) cards so fast.

I wonder if one reason for Matt's "hero voice" and OTT-antics is anticipatory defense mechanisms for being torn to shreds for speaking about his emotions honestly. Who knows.(Not that I disagree that some of those expressions in a music/lyric form have been pretty terrible).

Also, I do agree that Save me has some of the same themes than the songs you mentioned- about two people's love against interfering forces (revealed to be alchoholism in Save me, Resistance is a "us against the outside world" song, Bliss is a praise of a specific woman and wanting to become like them, Save me is too)

Yeah this is kind of what I was thinking, though I don't think Save Me is about a specific woman. Chris said it was about his family and friends, though obviously Kelly would have been very important. Bliss - well who knows who that is about, but yes it has a similar theme of wanting to be like someone else.

Yeah this is kind of what I was thinking, though I don't think Save Me is about a specific woman. Chris said it was about his family and friends, though obviously Kelly would have been very important.

http://www.spaziorock.it/intervista.php?&id=543&eng=1

Save Me" is a sort of a love song and I think it's the more positive among the two" he explains "It's about having a difficult time and having a person in your life who can pull you through - my wife, in my case. I guess it's all about searching stability, finding it through the person you love".

After hearing the lyrics I feel like it's more about his wife. And then there was that Spanish interview where he was gushing about her left and right and calling her his soulmate, so yeah...

I need Liquid State now.

if matt wrote a song about such a big personal problem than I'm pretty sure people wouldn't pull their card.

Okay, correction: if people didn't know the song was about alcoholism, they would. The story behind the lyrics isn't self-evident just by reading them.

Leave Chris alone :phu: As someone who's never written lyrics or a song before in the lead capacity I think Chris has done a brilliant job. The lyrics are his personal projection of a difficult time in his life and he's got a totally different style to Matt, I think. There's a rawness to the message in it.

I don't think it's very fair to compare them cos Matt's had a 15 year head-start as a lead singer/songwriter, although drawing comparisons is natural cos all we've ever known is Matt as lead - hell, I just compared them in this post :LOL:

The song sounds both sounds Musey and not somehow, but I think it really works as a new direction for the band to take. I really like it :happy:

if matt wrote a song about such a big personal problem than I'm pretty sure people wouldn't pull their card.

Hmm I think NSC was about something that was a pretty big personal issue for Matt at the time.

Of course I'm not saying it is comparable but still...

This discussion reminds me of this.

Yeah this is kind of what I was thinking, though I don't think Save Me is about a specific woman. Chris said it was about his family and friends, though obviously Kelly would have been very important. Bliss - well who knows who that is about, but yes it has a similar theme of wanting to be like someone else.

When I hear Bliss I think about my kids. It's about someone who loves and isn't jaded and is very lovable and innocent. Describes my kids to a T.

Back on topic, I love the lyrics to this song. A little unsubtle, yes, but they are beautiful, and anyone who has had someone stand by them during a hard time can relate.

http://www.spaziorock.it/intervista.php?&id=543&eng=1

After hearing the lyrics I feel like it's more about his wife. And then there was that Spanish interview where he was gushing about her left and right and calling her his soulmate, so yeah...

I need Liquid State now.

Okay fair enough. I hadn't seen that interview before. However, I'm pretty sure he did say previously that it was about his family and his band mates and how they had stuck by him.

Actually when I heard the "soulmate" stuff I thought that he's a bloody lucky sod having that, and at such a young age too. Despite everything, that's something he can rejoice about. :happy:

I don't think it would sound as emotional from Matt because it wouldn't be genuine.

I understand why you might think that, but Matt has displayed impressive and genuine vocals when covering other people's songs, such as Feeling Good and Where the Streets Have No Names.

Same thoughts here. I support the idea of Chris singing this because it's his song and because I find it interesting and admirable when band members other than the usual lead singer of a band take the lead on a song: it always turns out into something really interesting and refreshing. But it is also true that Matt could have sung Save Me instead of Chris and it would have also sounded pretty good, because, as JoshXR said, it would be as if he were singing a cover, and covers are not always bad, some people can really take someone else's song, turn it into something personal and do a great job and sing as great as if they had written the song themselves. That's some of the exclusive magic of music: you can take someone else's work and present it as if it were yours and still do a moving performance. Ask musicians who play classical music, they do it all the time (and most of the time, without any lyrics).

As I said, I like Chris singing this song, it's really nice to have something different from what we're used to listen from them, and the fact that he's singing something he wrote/composed himself just adds up a lot to the vibe of the song and it creates a more accurate listening experience. And let's not forget Chris didn't force them to play his songs. He just showed them what he had done and Matt and Dom liked it and decided Chris should sing them himself. I hope they do this more often; maybe let Chris sing another song on the next album. He has a good voice, but he has no practice, once he gets more practice, he will get better.

Archived