I don't mind the lyrics :erm: Personally, I wouldn't slag them off if they were Matt's but I think Matt's bad lyrics are made more obvious because his voice has a certain 'pomposity' (for want of a better word) to it whereas Chris' sounds more honest and down to earth.

Yes, exactly.

Tbh, the only lyrics of Matt's I'll call out for being cheezy is NSC. But Chris said once that you can't really criticize/try to change lyrics because it's like trying to change somebody's feelings on something. I agree with him on that one.

Madness has got personal lyrics, and I do like them (apart from that one line 'after all the crazy fights we had' or something like that), but you can't compare singing about a fight you had with your fiancee to singing about going through rehab.

I can't wait for the studio version. I heard some things in the live version that weren't prominent enough so I'm hoping for that on the record. Not long to wait anyway.

The lyrics of Escape are brilliant, one of the reasons I love that song so much.

So do I, but I don't see the relevance it has to Save Me. Stick it in the Follow Me thread and then, well...:supersad:

I suppose there is relevance to Save Me as well :supersad: but not to what I can see that Chris has expressed in the song.

Can understand the comments about it being repetitive, but I really think this song will come into its own on record. I remember there was supposed to be a Beach Boys vibe to it, which didn't strike me listening to it live.

It struck me. But then, I grew up listening to Pet Sounds, as it was my Dad's favorite album. It was one of the first comparisons I had made. I expect I will like this song as a studio work, it doesn't seem like it will translate live...except for maybe a calm opener like Release used to serve for Pearl Jam... I wouldn't know whether or not Muse opens shows slow, though since I haven't been yet.

In all honesty Save Me does contain similar themes to songs Matt has done before. Thematically it also reminds me a bit of Resistance, Starlight and Bliss.

If you mean that Matt was under the influence of alcohol when he wrote Resistance and Starlight, then yes, I agree.

I don't think it would sound as emotional from Matt because it wouldn't be genuine.

I understand why you might think that, but Matt has displayed impressive and genuine vocals when covering other people's songs, such as Feeling Good and Where the Streets Have No Names.

I understand why you might think that, but Matt has displayed impressive and genuine vocals when covering other people's songs, such as Feeling Good and Where the Streets Have No Names.

I think it would just be weird because everybody knows what the lyrics are about so no matter how well Matt sang, it still would be a little weird.

Are you saying you think Save Me is as good as Escape

Yep.

Escape is a very, very personal song for Matt, just like Save Me is a very, very personal song for Chris and you can hear it in their vocal delivery of the lyrics. If anyone else sang those words, it would be disingenuous and not as emotionally powerful.

I think it would just be weird because everybody knows what the lyrics are about so no matter how well Matt sang, it still would be a little weird.

I suppose it would have been weird if Chris had sung Madness and then Matt told everyone it was about his relationship with his girlfriend. :LOL:

Very true. I suppose people are being easy on Chris since it's his first attempt.

In all honesty Save Me does contain similar themes to songs Matt has done before. Thematically it also reminds me a bit of Resistance, Starlight and Bliss.

People tend to be pretty hard on Matt, but that comes with him being seen as the person who steers the direction the band is going, and because he also collects most of the praise, too - people see him and his songs as being more fair game. I do agree that if this was a Matt song people would pull out the boring (and even cheesy) cards so fast.

I wonder if one reason for Matt's "hero voice" and OTT-antics is anticipatory defense mechanisms for being torn to shreds for speaking about his emotions honestly. Who knows.(Not that I disagree that some of those expressions in a music/lyric form have been pretty terrible).

Also, I do agree that Save me has some of the same themes than the songs you mentioned- about two people's love against interfering forces (revealed to be alchoholism in Save me, Resistance is a "us against the outside world" song, Bliss is a praise of a specific woman and wanting to become like them, Save me is too)

Yep.

Escape is a very, very personal song for Matt, just like Save Me is a very, very personal song for Chris and you can hear it in their vocal delivery of the lyrics. If anyone else sang those words, it would be disingenuous and not as emotionally powerful.

Hmm well I don't agree that the songs or the quality of delivery is similar, but fair enough.

Archived