My Favourite song on this album!

Just read an article (The Spits, Dutch newspaper) about Chris. I really didn't know his problems with alcohol were that great, not remembering recording The Resistance for instance..

I'm sure he doesn't remember a lot of things...

Is there a translation of that interview?

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed with this song. Chris's voice isn't bad. It's just not always that great, especially when he sounds like the Squeaky-Voiced Teen from The Simpsons during a few of those higher notes. Lyrically, this song is superior to most of Matt's fluff. I'll give Chris a lot of credit in that category (and I can say the same for "Liquid State" too, though I also consider that a far superior song to this). And it does tackle the ballad angle better than "Explorers". But like "Explorers", it probably could've benefited from being 1 or 2 minutes shorter.

Upon my first listen I didn't really like it at all. After listening to the album x number of times for the last couple of days I like it more and more, but it'll probably never feel completely "right" for me. However, unlike Liquid State I'm not skipping it any more, it's growing on me.

I do hope they lower it 0.5/1 step live, from the stuff on youtube it feels like it's too high for him, kinda like his voice has problem finding firm footing during some parts, if that allegory makes any sense :rolleyes:

One of the best on the album for me. Some of the guitar work and the dreamy/atmospheric vibe reminds me a lot of some of my favorite post-rock acts, which I love. Matt's guitar parts in this are absolutely beautiful and I love how he never goes over the top with it, always keeping it relatively subdued. It has probably some of my favorite guitar work by Matt (along with Animals) in a really long time.

One of the best on the album for me. Some of the guitar work and the dreamy/atmospheric vibe reminds me a lot of some of my favorite post-rock acts, which I love. Matt's guitar parts in this are absolutely beautiful and I love how he never goes over the top with it, always keeping it relatively subdued. It has probably some of my favorite guitar work by Matt (along with Animals) in a really long time.

Everything about this is exactly how I feel as well. :yesey:

I've just realised that the part leading up to the guitar solo, as well as a lot of the guitar work in the song, really reminds me of Let Down by Radiohead... Am I the only one? :$

Yes! Ahhh thank you for pointing this out, I've been losing my mind thinking of what this reminded me of. Not sure how I didn't realize it sounds like a song with over 100 plays in my itunes.. I owe you a burlap sack of cookies. <3

Chris's voice isn't bad, and the song isn't bad, but I'm not sure it really fits with the rest of this album and Muse's style in general. It kind of sounds like another band because of it's dreamy and laidback style.

I have to admit that while listening to it, I really missed Matt's voice, which is such a recognizable feature of the Muse sound. I'm personally not a fan of bands handing over the lead vocals to someone who's not the lead vocalist because it really affects the band's overall sound, so I'm kind of biased.

Chris's voice isn't bad, and the song isn't bad, but I'm not sure it really fits with the rest of this album and Muse's style in general. It kind of sounds like another band because of it's dreamy and laidback style.

Not really agree with the last part. I mean... Matt've sung few songs which are in dreamy and laidback style, so it's not really a matter of style, I guess. It's rather because of the totally different voice - and that's why... -->

I have to admit that while listening to it, I really missed Matt's voice, which is such a recognizable feature of the Muse sound. I'm personally not a fan of bands handing over the lead vocals to someone who's not the lead vocalist because it really affects the band's overall sound, so I'm kind of biased.

...I totally agree with you here. However, those two songs grew on me already. And I go further there - I really admire their bloody courage. They really are open-minded to try ANYTHING. Chris has guts to sing such personal tracks after 5 albums where he was at the most back vocals. This is really risky to put two songs with so different voice on the album, especially that Matt's voice is seriously extraordinary and a real label for Muse. This is a huge step. Not many bands like Muse would do that, I guess.

It definitely reminds me of The Beach Boys and since Chris is a huge fan of them the way he sings is clearly influenced by their singing. He wanted to sound atmospheric. I think this is a beautiful homage to Pet Sounds which is one of my favourite albums of all times as well.

Oasis did it just fine for years.

It worked for the Beatles

Archived