I feel so bad for muse and Tom. We were looking forward to this video. It finally comes out our minds were blown and then their HONEST mistake turns into them being attacked. If you're angry at the flag and what represents that's one thing but to attack the band is just so unfair.

I'm sure the video will be back up... Soon.

A symbol's meaning changes throughout history. The image of a rising sun has been used hundreds of times before in other cultures just like how the swastika originally represented a dharma wheel. It's the context in which we use these symbols that determine how we interpret their message. For me, I feel as though the flag is so out of context in this video that it does not in anyway promote hatred and can just be viewed as simply a flag. It's unfortunate that we live in a society that has to be so politically correct all of the time that it enables our freedom of speech. I think people need to use critical thinking a little bit more to rationalize their anger because ultimately, they should be angry about the events that took place and decisions people made, not the flag they used.

However, because we don't live in a perfect society, some PR work might have to be done if this gets out of hand.

My thoughts exactly. Bravo.

well, this was... sort of what I expected, I must say. it's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, but it's ridiculous in a good way, in a way it suits the song, unlike Supremacy's video which is just an all-out big stinky wtf. so yeah, this is pretty much something Muse are capable of doing, I like it. I like the musey ridiculousness (is that a word?), I loved it at KoC and I love it now. i really laughed my ass off, Chris is especially hilarious:LOL:

I feel so bad for muse and Tom. We were looking forward to this video. It finally comes out our minds were blown and then their HONEST mistake turns into them being attacked. If you're angry at the flag and what represents that's one thing but to attack the band is just so unfair.

I'm sure the video will be back up... Soon.

Me too... and they were so excited about it as well :(

It will be back aandd stay there :yesey:

From the comments on the site:

"Awww, bugger that! Just edit the part everyone's whining about with a big ass smiley face, and put it back up straightaways."

...may add to the apparent hilarity, a big floating smiley face on the video? And, it will serve as a somewhat comical reminder of this minor screw-up??

Re pie. I like Steak and Mushroom pie :)

A symbol's meaning changes throughout history. The image of a rising sun has been used hundreds of times before in other cultures just like how the swastika originally represented a dharma wheel. It's the context in which we use these symbols that determine how we interpret their message. For me, I feel as though the flag is so out of context in this video that it does not in anyway promote hatred and can just be viewed as simply a flag. It's unfortunate that we live in a society that has to be so politically correct all of the time that it enables our freedom of speech. I think people need to use critical thinking a little bit more to rationalize their anger because ultimately, they should be angry about the events that took place and decisions people made, not the flag they used.

However, because we don't live in a perfect society, some PR work might have to be done if this gets out of hand.

I get what you are saying about meaning of symbols changing/being context-dependent, but the fact of the matter is that a Muse music video is hardly a tool that can affect a symbol's meaning in a society. Some symbols are just tainted, and their meaning can't be changed in a short time span. It's kind of like wearing a swastika t-shirt in Europe and rolling your eyes when people become offended, because you just mean it as a good luck sign in your personal context. I mean, there is such thing as a common sense.

I don't see this as a free speech issue at all because it's not like anyone, let alone a government, is saying Muse can't use the symbol even in its most offensive intentional meaning. Since this video is as far from a political statement as possible, there is no reason to start banging on about free speech infringement. Sometimes something like a little cultural consideration will go far- Muse seem to agree by temporarily pulling the video.

Archived