but certainly it doesn't help point out to strangers that it could be a problem! :rolleyes:)

Thankfully many lovely youtube commenters have already taken care of that :rolleyes:

I have to say, a political themed shitstorm was the last thing I would have expected from a video like this :p

I want to apologise to anyone who saw what I tweeted to muse and were offended by it. I was ignorant enough to believe people on youtube who said that flag is nothing to do with the swastika and is something to do with modern Japanese defence which lead to people saying some horrible things to me. I clearly really offended some Asian fans for whatever I said and that was NOT my intention and I am certainly not a jew hating nazi. That really upset me, especially since I visted Auschwitz last year.

Aside from that, the video is brilliant and most of all I love how they have involved everyone in it :happy: no Tom though! :(

I have to say, a political themed shitstorm was the last thing I would have expected from a video like this :p

Mte. I doubt they had a clue what they were doing when the video was being edited and the Japanese symbol was put in, but that doesn't make it okay in any way.

I liked the video it was fun and oh so colorful. Of course the flag was an honest mistake but people do have a right to be offended and people saying they are butthurt about not liking that it was shown in the video can go fuck yourself. That flag represents a dark time and it's understandable why many would be simply angered by seeing it. But I know for a fact when making this video they were unaware of the history so you can't be mad at muse, but you can call out the ignorance of whoever decided to put it in the video. It was an innocent mistake but people need to understand why many are offended by it. Don't brush it off to being "butthurt".

As much as I think they should've checked the background of that flag, am I the only one who thinks the reactions of some of the comments are bit much? Maybe it's the perspective of living in a country that's never had something like that.

It's essentially the Asian equivalent of having a giant spinning swastika in the video. Imagine what the Western reaction would be to that, and there you have it. Bit of a giant blunder.

It's essentially the Asian equivalent of having a giant spinning swastika in the video. Imagine what the Western reaction would be to that, and there you have it. Bit of a giant blunder.

As I said, maybe it's because I'm in a relatively safe country from that sort of history but I wouldn't be up in arms if I saw a spinning Swastika in the video. Maybe a lolwut and then I'd move on unless they started preaching Nazi ideals.

Wonder if anybody else outside of the fanbase has picked up on it... When websites start writing about it is when the real shitstorm is gonna start, and they will probably edit the video then.

As I said, maybe it's because I'm in a relatively safe country from that sort of history but I wouldn't be up in arms if I saw a spinning Swastika in the video. Maybe a lolwut and then I'd move on unless they started preaching Nazi ideals.

Uhm... You wouldn't because you or your family was probably never hurt by any of those political systems so it's really not up to you to decide whether or not using that symbol was okay, but I completely understand the Asian fans who are mad about this.

a spinning swastika would be different because we all know that muse know exactly what that is

Mte. I doubt they had a clue what they were doing when the video was being edited and the Japanese symbol was put in, but that doesn't make it okay in any way.

True, it should be edited out as soon as possible. If it really is that bad (I can't say, didn't know this flag even existed until today) then it is understandable for people to be offended. I just hope that they understand that it was just a mistake and not meant to offend or promote anything...

Thankfully many lovely youtube commenters have already taken care of that :rolleyes:

I can't read the comments, thanks to gema yet again. If they're attacking muse&co, they're silly, by now people should realise that they've read the comments and are aware of the problem. Maybe they're already giving up their (supposedly) free evening to try and have the video edited asap and reuploaded... not resting for their shows the two days coming, or anything, who knows?

But it's no more ok to attack them so badly (if it's really happening, that is the tone I get from here, can't read youtube comments), since a) the flag looks quite pretty for such a simple design to someone who doesn't know of it's bad connotation, and b) it's still in use. When you're talking about the symbol of third reic that's totally banned everywhere in Germany (rightest right using it sometimes of course, somehow, and being sued for it then) so nobody not knowing would ever consider using it because if it's ever shown on tv, it's with mention of the context in some way.

Rising sun flag (from wiki) :

Naval ensign, flown by ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy (1889–1945) and Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force. (1954–present)

actually, I would love to get that jacket :LOL:

looks gooood

Hell yeah. :awesome:

Maybe if I ever go Japan I should ask for one.

I liked the video it was fun and oh so colorful. Of course the flag was an honest mistake but people do have a right to be offended and people saying they are butthurt about not liking that it was shown in the video can go fuck yourself. That flag represents a dark time and it's understandable why many would be simply angered by seeing it. But I know for a fact when making this video they were unaware of the history so you can't be mad at muse, but you can call out the ignorance of whoever decided to put it in the video. It was an innocent mistake but people need to understand why many are offended by it. Don't brush it off to being "butthurt".

Agreed. I don't think Muse knew what it meant until someone said "Why's that there when it was the symbol for this?", and I don't think the editor who included it did either, but it is offensive to these people for a good reason. That's fair enough really and I'd say replace it, as it's changed the focus too much.

There's one thing I'm still not sure on though - given it's so offensive outside Japan, why does the modern Japanese military and even commercial products use it?

I'm not talking down to anyone but do some of you guys not understand Japan and how they dealt with the aftermath of WWII? (A lot of people don't)

They ignored their involvement. To this day it is not in their textbooks. Their gov't does not take responsibility for the horrific shit that happened by Japanese soldiers during WWII. Not all Japanese are okay with how they censor and alter their history but it was an is a shameful time for them. So yeah it is understandable the outrage about the flag. It's complicated and has left a gaping hole in Japan's history.

I don't think Muse should be required to do anything with the video. Of course if they feel the need to apologize, then more power to them. But just because you're offended by something doesn't give you special rights to treat other people like shit or dictate what other people are allowed to say or portray in their art.

I can understand people being offended by it but it was obviously just an ignorant mistake, it's a damn Muse video they hardly meant anything by it. (but yes they need to take it out.)

Yeah, I can understand people being offended by it and letting the band know that it's offensive but (not to sound like a mues defendor) the comments that are having a go at the band and saying how disappointed they are in them for using it are overreacting a bit. It was a mistake, they didn't know what it meant, it's not like they put it in there to show that they agree with what that sign symbolises.

There's one thing I'm still not sure on though - given it's so offensive outside Japan, why does the modern Japanese military and even commercial products use it?

And a lot of American products, too! I work near a martial arts school and I always see kids with the headband, patches, shirts, backpacks, etc. Never knew. :$

I don't think Muse should be required to do anything with the video. Of course if they feel the need to apologize, then more power to them. But just because you're offended by something doesn't give you special rights to treat other people like shit or dictate what other people are allowed to say or portray in their art.

Well of course they are not "required" to do anything, but changing it would prevent bad publicity. If this is handled by other sites and media within the next few days with no action from the band, it will be made to look much more severe than it is and that can't be good for them... especially since it's meaningless and doesn't actually represent anything muse would want to.

If something was meant to be there to represent the artist's opinions and ideals then by all means, it should be defended by the artist, but since this is not the case it's much more unecessary fuss to keep it rather than edit it out.

Whoever added that flag in should just say it was an ignorant and honest mistake. Muse love Japan and the people of Japan. They've said that frequently. So clearly they don't want to sour any relationship.

People are allowed to say or do whatever they want artistically...even so it does not mean you are exempt from backlash bc artists do everything for a reaction wether good or bad. "It's art!! So you can't judge me or have an opinion or feeling regarding my art!!" Um no. Artists do things for a purpose and reason and to promote some discussion. You can't just say it's art and be done with it. Art is open for critism not exempt from it.

Archived