A symbol's meaning changes throughout history. The image of a rising sun has been used hundreds of times before in other cultures just like how the swastika originally represented a dharma wheel. It's the context in which we use these symbols that determine how we interpret their message. For me, I feel as though the flag is so out of context in this video that it does not in anyway promote hatred and can just be viewed as simply a flag. It's unfortunate that we live in a society that has to be so politically correct all of the time that it enables our freedom of speech. I think people need to use critical thinking a little bit more to rationalize their anger because ultimately, they should be angry about the events that took place and decisions people made, not the flag they used.

However, because we don't live in a perfect society, some PR work might have to be done if this gets out of hand.

Gosh such a shame considering how seriously awesome the video is.

This. The significance of the flag as a symbol and the period from which it comes is understandable, but the fact that it was not intended to symbolize anything in the video itself is largely overlooked and, as you and other people said, it overshadows a completely awesome video.

Except for that one guy at the end. He really didn't appreciate that kiss from Dom. Either that or he was mesmerized by Dom's beauty

Maybe Dom's mesmerizing beauty failed to captivate him... His loss :phu:

A symbol's meaning changes throughout history. The image of a rising sun has been used hundreds of times before in other cultures just like how the swastika originally represented a dharma wheel. It's the context in which we use these symbols that determine how we interpret their message. For me, I feel as though the flag is so out of context in this video that it does not in anyway promote hatred and can just be viewed as simply a flag. It's unfortunate that we live in a society that has to be so politically correct all of the time that it enables our freedom of speech. I think people need to use critical thinking a little bit more to rationalize their anger because ultimately, they should be angry about the events that took place and decisions people made, not the flag they used.

However, because we don't live in a perfect society, some PR work might have to be done if this gets out of hand.

Best post about the subject.

Archived