Well of course they are not "required" to do anything, but changing it would prevent bad publicity. If this is handled by other sites and media within the next few days with no action from the band, it will be made to look much more severe than it is and that can't be good for them... especially since it's meaningless and doesn't actually represent anything muse would want to.

If something was meant to be there then by all means, it should be defended by the artist, but since this is not the case it's much unecessary fuss to keep ot rather than edit it out.

I have no problem with Muse apologizing, I just have a problem with the overreactions to something so insignificant, especially because it is so painfully obvious that Muse were not making a political statement with the video. Calling the band Nazis is not criticism, it's just stupid.

I have no problem with Muse apologizing, I just have a problem with the overreactions to something so insignificant, especially because it is so painfully obvious that Muse were not making a political statement with the video. Calling the band Nazis is not criticism, it's just stupid.

It was an honest mistake and I completely agree with you that it's silly and unnecessary to attack the band for it, but it is not insignificant, man.

It was a fun video, great job on it overall.

Sad to see it shadowed by this flag controversy. I don't think it's any of us non-Asians' business to say if it is too offensive or not, if people in Asia see it as offensive it should be removed. I can't imagine any bad intentions on the band's part, but obviously whenever you reference another culture you should be extra-sensitive to the potentially offensive stuff. Hopefully this will be sorted soon and people can go on enjoying the video :)

because it is so painfully obvious that Muse were not making a political statement with the video. Calling the band Nazis is not criticism, it's just stupid.

Sadly not to everyone :rolleyes: Associating muse with this ideology just because of a flashing flag in a silly video is pretty far-fetched, and calling them nazis is indeed stupid.

It was an honest mistake and I completely agree with you that it's silly and unnecessary to attack the band for it, but it is not insignificant, man.

I think in this context it is certainly insignificant. It's ok for others to disagree with me, I'm not blaming them for being sensitive, just for their unwarranted anger towards the band.

Insignificant?! Tell me you are joking.

I agree muse should not be targeted at all. In fact no one should in this particular case bc it is an obvious mistake.

Buuuuut saying it is insignificant. You have some balls to say such a thing.

The fact that people are so unaware of history outside of the country they reside in saddens me to no end. This attitude of it doesn't directly affect me so who cares is dangerous.

Though I will agree with you about how people are going overboard in regards to calling muse nazi's. that is uncalled for.

But people need to understand the source of that anger though bc it is not insignificant or just a flag.

Insignificant?! Tell me you are joking.

I agree muse should not be targeted at all. In fact no one should in this particular case bc it is an obvious mistake.

Buuuuut saying it is insignificant. You have some balls to say such a thing.

The fact that people are so unaware of history outside of the country they reside in saddens me to no end. This attitude of it doesn't directly affect me so who cares is dangerous.

Though I will agree with you about how people are going overboard in regards to calling muse nazi's. that is uncalled for.

But people need to understand the source of that anger though bc it is not insignificant or just a flag.

I am aware of the history between Japan and other Asian countries. Though I am mostly familiar with it from the Chinese perspective, as I spent 2 years immersed in Chinese culture, learning Chinese from native Chinese speakers, and have been to Taiwan and would love to go to China one day.

But I do think that a symbol in a music video that wasn't intended for political purposes is insignificant when compared to actual horrible things going on in the world right now.

I think Muse will apologize and I hope they do, but I still don't have to agree with how they are being treated by some fans.

It was a fun video, great job on it overall.

Sad to see it shadowed by this flag controversy. I don't think it's any of us non-Asians' business to say if it is too offensive or not, if people in Asia see it as offensive it should be removed. I can't imagine any bad intentions on the band's part, but obviously whenever you reference another culture you should be extra-sensitive to the potentially offensive stuff. Hopefully this will be sorted soon and people can go on enjoying the video :)

Ugh.

Non-Asians should not have a say? I'm South Asian so I guess I will have a say and say yes that flag represents a VERY dark time in Japanese history that many refuse to acknowledge. If you knew the history I doubt you'd just shrug your soldiers and see it as no big deal.

Ugh.

Non-Asians should not have a say? I'm South Asian so I guess I will have a say and say yes that flag represents a VERY dark time in Japanese history that many refuse to acknowledge. If you knew the history I doubt you'd just shrug your soldiers and see it as no big deal.

...what? I said, non-Asian, mainly Western people, shouldn't try to dictate if the flag is offensive rather than listen to what Asians are saying and act based on that information. If you are South-Asian, obviously your opinion matters. That is what I was saying.

I was mainly replying to (Western) people who were trying to claim it's not a big deal.

As much as I think they should've checked the background of that flag, am I the only one who thinks the reactions of some of the comments are bit much? Maybe it's the perspective of living in a country that's never had something like that.

I am aware of the history between Japan and other Asian countries. Though I am mostly familiar with it from the Chinese perspective, as I spent 2 years immersed in Chinese culture, learning Chinese from native Chinese speakers, and have been to Taiwan and would love to go to China one day.

But I do think that a symbol in a music video that wasn't intended for political purposes is insignificant when compared to actual horrible things going on in the world right now.

I think Muse will apologize and I hope they do, but I still don't have to agree with how they are being treated by some fans.

Someone sticks a random Nazi flag in their video = major outrage. Just saying.

Compared to actual things going on now?

You studied Chinese history and honestly just said that? People were tortured and died in horrific ways. Some survived but left with the horrible memories.

It's the past but people should not gloss over it bc it happened so long ago. The horrific things going on right now will soon be the past and they will be forgotten unless we keep telling their stories as historians.

You can't trivialize this all just say it's history let's move on. Japan did that after WWII. They quickly moved on and ignored their involvement and atrocities the Japanese soldiers were involved in.

All I'm saying is I do understand why people are hurt and/or angered by the flag. But at the same time people need to understand that muse are not hateful and their intention was to just deliver a fun and crazy video which unfortunately is getting overshadowed by a flag that represents a beyond shitty time in history. This whole thing should make some people out there realize that knowing and understanding history is important and making sure one is educated about other cultures, religions and so on in order to avoid such a fiasco that had occurred.

Gosh such a shame considering how seriously awesome the video is.

And the way they are mostly ignored by the pedestrians, like three eyesores of glitter and fur are a regular occurence :LOL:

Except for that one guy at the end. He really didn't appreciate that kiss from Dom. Either that or he was mesmerized by Dom's beauty

I can't stop watching it :LOL: I find new things everytime haha!

I was confident this would be good because they never seem to like their videos but were super excited for this one, so it obviously had some promise. Still exceeded expectations though :awesome:

I have yet to decide what my fave bit is, the whole thing just worked brilliantly. AND I love the behind-the-scenes footage at the start and end, just made it all better.

I wanted to come here to discuss the video, but apparently people are too focused on the flag controversy :erm: Is there a way to make a separate thread for discussing the video and one for the flag? I wanted to talk about the video with other fans, but I just skimmed through 5 pages that were 90% discussion of the Rising Sun flag, and any comment actually discussing the video was ignored.

Would be nice to actually discuss :)

Compared to actual things going on now?

You studied Chinese history and honestly just said that? People were tortured and died in horrific ways. Some survived but left with the horrible memories.

It's the past but people should not gloss over it bc it happened so long ago. The horrific things going on right now will soon be the past and they will be forgotten unless we keep telling their stories as historians.

You can't trivialize this all just say it's history let's move on. Japan did that after WWII. They quickly moved on and ignored their involvement and atrocities the Japanese soldiers were involved in.

All I'm saying is I do understand why people are hurt and/or angered by the flag. But at the same time people need to understand that muse are not hateful and their intention was to just deliver a fun and crazy video which unfortunately is getting overshadowed by a flag that represents a beyond shitty time in history. This whole thing should make some people out there realize that knowing and understanding history is important and making sure one is educated about other cultures, religions and so on in order to avoid such a fiasco that had occurred.

Gosh such a shame considering how seriously awesome the video is.

I never said that the atrocities of the past were insignificant. But I don't think the reactions are proportionate to the offense, or even make any sense at all (calling Muse Nazis). It's a bit like how I also don't think that it's justified for Muslim extremists to kill people that depict Mohammed in cartoons (not equating them, just using it as an example), but I can understand why they are offended by it. Now I think I've said all I can on the subject. Thread is derailed enough.

I wanted to come here to discuss the video, but apparently people are too focused on the flag controversy :erm: Is there a way to make a separate thread for discussing the video and one for the flag? I wanted to talk about the video with other fans, but I just skimmed through 5 pages that were 90% discussion of the Rising Sun flag, and any comment actually discussing the video was ignored.

Would be nice to actually discuss :)

lol

Anyway:

935409_603894449640084_1970388328_n.png

:cool: we are everywhere.

Archived