How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

I'm sorry if this was already posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBu14q1dNP0

Wow, this works perfectly! I'm not too interested in sport but this (well the music mainly) makes The Olympics seem exciting, even to me. It captures something that I hadn't really taken the trouble to focus on much in sport, the emotion involved in the ups and downs of competing in sport. The passion. I'm impressed.

Can any non-blinkered fan of Muse please answer me this?

I have always admired Muse for their political/social comments on the world we find ourselves in. I have also, always, similarly admired them for their brave and unique take on where we, the human race, find ourselves! But...

...here we arrive at a place where a supposed moralistic band start behaving like coorporate whores!!

We must remember that we are in a time of political/social/economic uncertainty that has finally highlighted the gross inequality in our nation, let alone the world itself!!!

The Olympics are perhaps the most overt symbol of attempting to paper over these cracks; Disgusting coorporatism, unparalleled militarism on our streets, diminished legal rights, an extended Hoo-ray for the royal parasites and much, much more....not to mention 'teams' entering without a single female included!!!!!!!

Muse have lost all respectability for any of our generation who thought they stood for more!

They may as well be, Ant & Dec, Beiber, Spice Girls, David Cameron et al - Not in my name!

I'm politically minded but this is ridiculous. Muse a moralistic band!? wtf! Yes it is good when they take an interest in politics and world events, and I enjoy their songs that comment on stuff like that but they're not political activists.

Just what to add, however, that the song is open to interpretation, it has a dark element which could just as easily refer to our neoliberal regime, which afterall is based on competition and survival of the fittest, as competing in sports. The grandeur of the song could also be interpreted, I think, as a nod towards the risk of totalitarianism.

Furthermore it is seeing competition as the priority that contributes to our environmental crisis.

It depends on how you want to understand it.

I like to enjoy Muse for who they are, a great band with great music who have an artistic interest in real world events. That doesn't mean that Muse should be expected to go as far as live an alternative lifestyle to what the world presents imo. This is a great promotional opportunity and I'm proud of them for achieving it.

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but what are the women in the choir singing? I want to be able to sing along. :D The men are obviously saying so I told you, but the women seem to be saying something else. I hear a couple sounds, but can't make out the words (if there even are words).

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but what are the women in the choir singing? I want to be able to sing along. :D The men are obviously saying so I told you, but the women seem to be saying something else. I hear a couple sounds, but can't make out the words (if there even are words).

I don't think they're saying specific words, actually just high verses. Definitely not "so I told you"

I don't think they're saying specific words, actually just high verses. Definitely not "so I told you"

Are you sure? I think I hear an S sound at certain points as if they're repeating a phrase. But I also can't make out specific words, so maybe you're right and I'm just hearing things. Oh well, guess I'll just sing the notes.

I hear: Male choir singers = 'So I told you'. Female choir singers = no distinct words; just chanting noises like 'Ho ha ha ha', lol.

Anyways, the BBC video's been bothering me because the way Matt says 'pace' at 2.47 is a little bit different to the studio version. I think it's to do with the editing of the video with background sounds rather than some alternate version of the song, but it's like his voice dips a tiny bit lower on the video than on the studio song on that one word. Very sad of me to notice, but hey :$.

Male choir of course sings "so I've told you". The question was on the female one, which I think doesn't sing anything clear, just notes.

edit: nevermind :LOL:

the "pace" in the BBC video is true :eek: I noticed it as well, but I think it might be some editing error-problem-thing

I'm really not digging the deep, operatic vocals. I thought that maybe it was just where his voice had deepened over the years, but it seems like he's really putting it on in this.

Seriously, I just don't think these vocallines really fits his voice.

This was on Youtube:

"I'm working with the Staging Crew for when they first play this live at the Olympics. State of the Art show, which Matt and the lads have been involved with. The last third (around the four minute mark) of the song is something special, the way the entire stadium turns into something out of a sci fi movie. Obviously not allowed to give many details, but it's completely epic. Something like 300 performers involved. Amazing CGI. Set the whole stadium on fire, literally." Tim733733

Hope it's real, sounds amazing.

This was on Youtube:

"I'm working with the Staging Crew for when they first play this live at the Olympics. State of the Art show, which Matt and the lads have been involved with. The last third (around the four minute mark) of the song is something special, the way the entire stadium turns into something out of a sci fi movie. Obviously not allowed to give many details, but it's completely epic. Something like 300 performers involved. Amazing CGI. Set the whole stadium on fire, literally." Tim733733

Hope it's real, sounds amazing.

WOW. I hope it's true, it sounds absolutely spectacular.

Archived