How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

LA wotsit has denounced it as "an awful piece of pop"- Matt's not having fun? Nonsense.

And Metro has slammed the song as depressing. What are the music press on?

I find Plug In Baby way more pop than Survival. A song without a chorus can't be too much pop.

Depressing what? :LOL:

LA wotsit has denounced it as "an awful piece of pop"- Matt's not having fun? Nonsense.

And Metro has slammed the song as depressing. What are the music press on?

yeah no music is subjective but there is a point when you're just straight-out wrong. this song is many things, depressing is not one of them.

Haha, ohh the hate towards comic sans. Our editor goes ape shit just at the mention of it :LOL:.

Anyways, the BBC World vis is great, but surely that's what everyone was expecting in terms of how Survival was going to be used? It's over a bunch of athletes competing and racing and fighting and winning... which is why the shite lyrics work so well :p.

I still love that the falsetto is over the top of the screaming swimmer athlete whose name I can't remember, lol.

Your editor, eh? Where do you work? Sorry if I've asked you this before.

Replied :p.

After the 100th-odd listen, I fail to see why this song has caused such crazy, polar opposite reactions: from jumping the shark to being more epic than Queen on acid! Poor lyrics, yes, but is that really enough to create such a shitstorm? :LOL: And yeah, before anyone says it, I know we're Musers and we're OTT, critical bastards etc, but it just seems like every album they bring out starts a bigger frenzy than the last one. I dread to read people's posts when the full thing comes out :p.

Anyways, lyrics and choir aside, it's not very different from other Muse songs: epic, loud, riffage, heavy, full of falsetto (although we've never had a fatality falsetto like the one at the end before, so that's a first). The Unsustainable dubsteppy bit is a new direction, whereas Survival is just Muse with insanity cranked up to 11 (had to get a Spinal Tap joke in there :awesome:).

Replied :p.

After the 100th-odd listen, I fail to see why this song has caused such crazy, polar opposite reactions: from jumping the shark to being more epic than Queen on acid! Poor lyrics, yes, but is that really enough to create such a shitstorm? :LOL: And yeah, before anyone says it, I know we're Musers and we're OTT, critical bastards etc, but it just seems like every album they bring out starts a bigger frenzy than the last one. I dread to read people's posts when the full thing comes out :p.

Anyways, lyrics and choir aside, it's not very different from other Muse songs: epic, loud, riffage, heavy, full of falsetto (although we've never had a fatality falsetto like the one at the end before, so that's a first). The Unsustainable dubsteppy bit is a new direction, whereas Survival is just Muse with insanity cranked up to 11 (had to get a Spinal Tap joke in there :awesome:).

pretty much true, but it seems like the lyrics and the choirs were indeed enough for people to go mental. why? dunno, perhaps because it's something radically new(the choirs, not the shitty lyrics, we're used to that:D)? but then again, people were complaining that they wanted to hear new stuff from Muse so what's the deal. anyway, I think that such an edgy and mental song will have the same reception: edgy and mental. and in some weird, absurd way, I love it.

edit: I love it very much :D

I think this song is good as an alternative, I love muse but the lyrics in this song capture the spirit of the event better, what does everyone else think of this?

Sounds like it was made in the '80s and not in a good way. Way too mellow for the Olympics, no punch to it.

To be honest, I much prefer the way Matt portrayed the mindset of an athlete instead of any of that wishy-washy 'we're all good sports' bollocks.

Sounds like it was made in the '80s and not in a good way. Way too mellow for the Olympics, no punch to it.

To be honest, I much prefer the way Matt portrayed the mindset of an athlete instead of any of that wishy-washy 'we're all good sports' bollocks.

That song was terrible :noey: I was disappointed when I clicked on it it and saw London's Calling I thought it was going to be The Clash:awesome:, now I've wasted 3 minutes of my life!

I agree about the way it's being portrayed is just right. Sod that, it's the taking part that counts, we're all in it together, lets all have a group hug rubbish :vomit:

Let's be honest it's the winning that counts:LOL:

Archived