How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

No :'(

Speaking of flows, I'm sure that live Survival will lead to lots of riffage, since we can be 99% sure (and lucky) that final falsetto won't be sung. Maybe only at the Olympics closing ceremony

ut-oh.

FIGHT FIGHT..bammbababammbammbammbababammbamm...BAM BAM. BAMM BAMBAMM BAMM! BAM BAM. BAMM BAM BAM BAMM!

:eek::eek:

tumblr_m6ca2upY1E1r1oz5co1_500.jpg

Thanks! This is now my desktop background - at least for a while!

I was so excited to hear the new song, but was :eek: when I heard it at 7:30 on Wednesday eve. After many listenings it has definitely grown on me and now I love it, even the hahahahaha bit with the cringy finger clicking! In the car, up loud, it sounds really heavy and really quite awesome.

I think the lyrics are terrible, but perfect for the Olympics - all pomp, ceremony and self-congratulation. They also need to appeal to all ages, which I think they will - even my old mum will 'get' them!

But that means that you'll never really get into anything that's outside of your comfort zone, you'll miss out on a lot of good music.

My musical tastes are all over the map. Lots of different genres, lots of different styles. I'm a musical slut. :chuckle: I'll try anything. :LOL: Trust me, I have no problem popping on music that may be out of my comfort zone. And because I've "been there, done that" musically, I've come to trust my instincts. :p

For me, on some levels, Survival is brilliant. I could easily see it used as a "dramatic" accompaniment for a scene in comedy movie, where big fat guys are prepping for the big eating contest, or beer drinking championship. But for the Olympics? I thought the Olympics were supposed to be taken seriously?

What makes this song silly is the choral work -- 100%. Period. It makes it sound like a Wagner opera. Or even worse, something inspired by the Third Reich (and I'm in no way implying anything by that). The men singing "so I told you", with the over dramatic sopranos coming in over that.... It truly sounds like a comedic parody. It may very well have been salvageable had the choral melodies been replaced by guitar. The best parts of the song are when the choral stuff is dropped, and Matt just rips it on guitar.

Anyway, that's my .02

No :'(

Speaking of flows, I'm sure that live Survival will lead to lots of riffage, since we can be 99% sure (and lucky) that final falsetto won't be sung. Maybe only at the Olympics closing ceremony

If it's gonna be a rarity, I think he'll do the falsetto. G#5 shouldn't be much trouble for him, and he won't sing it in the ridiculous way as he does in studio. He'll use his normal technique live I'd guess which will make it sound much better.

If it's gonna be a staple, you're probably right he won't do it every night. Probably only on special occasions. The other times, he'll just do a lazy low falsetto note like he did on TaB many times during the TR-tour.

What we can be sure of is that the chest-note will be avoided forever after the closing ceremony where he hopefully will have the balls to pull it off.

I don't understand why the prelude isn't on the single. It's beautiful! And it's actually the most 'Olympic' sounding bit in that it has an inspiring/uplifting quality without the cheesefest, hehe. I hope it's at least on the album, otherwise what's the point of it existing? I've currently got a shite quality one on my phone but I want a better one that can lead into the single download on my iPhone so it seems like it's all one song, lol.

If it's gonna be a rarity, I think he'll do the falsetto. G#5 shouldn't be much trouble for him, and he won't sing it in the ridiculous way as he does in studio. He'll use his normal technique live I'd guess which will make it sound much better.

If it's gonna be a staple, you're probably right he won't do it every night. Probably only on special occasions. The other times, he'll just do a lazy low falsetto note like he did on TaB many times during the TR-tour.

What we can be sure of is that the chest-note will be avoided forever after the closing ceremony where he hopefully will have the balls to pull it off.

Well, I guess it will be a staple, since it will get huge fame with the Olympics. My point was that without the huge falsetto they could go from the guitar+choir ending straight into riffs, with the falsetto it wouldn't work so well.

No chest-note :'(

I don't understand why the prelude isn't on the single. It's beautiful! And it's actually the most 'Olympic' sounding bit in that it has an inspiring/uplifting quality without the cheesefest, hehe. I hope it's at least on the album, otherwise what's the point of it existing? I've currently got a shite quality one on my phone but I want a better one that can lead into the single download on my iPhone so it seems like it's all one song, lol.

I think Matt confirmed that the Prelude will be in the album :) should have been downloadable as well

The chest note isn't that insane to do - City of Delusion is actually much harder. It sounds like it's in a higher pitch (CoD), whereas Survival is a bit shoutier. I think he'll attempt it, especially at the Closing Ceremony. For general live shows, probably not, but London 2012 is the big one when all the world's eyes are on Muse!

I think Matt confirmed that the Prelude will be in the album :) should have been downloadable as well

Good :happy:. It's just a bit daft that the first time we heard it included the prelude, but it's excluded from the download. It's like we were given the radio edit.

While the Prelude was nice, I'm hoping the album isn't filled with short instrumental transition songs. Prelude and the orchestral part at the beginning of the trailer (if it ends up being split from the Unsustainable part) already make two.

The chest note isn't that insane to do - City of Delusion is actually much harder. It sounds like it's in a higher pitch (CoD), whereas Survival is a bit shoutier. I think he'll attempt it, especially at the Closing Ceremony. For general live shows, probably not, but London 2012 is the big one when all the world's eyes are on Muse!

This is imo much harder than CoD. This is half a step higher note and almost the exact same approach as the note in CoD, both being fairly difficult. Half a step up in comfortable range isn't much, but it surely is at the top of one's range.

I hate bringing it up again since it's been discussed to death, but we all remember how the G4 in Resistance was avoided time after time during the last tour. That note can't even be compared to this one. I'm actually afraid that this song will become a rarity and eventually disappear just because of those few difficult notes (Bb4 sustained chest, A4 note with dictation in verse before falsetto and the last falsetto)

My musical tastes are all over the map. Lots of different genres, lots of different styles. I'm a musical slut. :chuckle: I'll try anything. :LOL: Trust me, I have no problem popping on music that may be out of my comfort zone. And because I've "been there, done that" musically, I've come to trust my instincts. :p

For me, on some levels, Survival is brilliant. I could easily see it used as a "dramatic" accompaniment for a scene in comedy movie, where big fat guys are prepping for the big eating contest, or beer drinking championship. But for the Olympics? I thought the Olympics were supposed to be taken seriously?

What makes this song silly is the choral work -- 100%. Period. It makes it sound like a Wagner opera. Or even worse, something inspired by the Third Reich (and I'm in no way implying anything by that). The men singing "so I told you", with the over dramatic sopranos coming in over that.... It truly sounds like a comedic parody. It may very well have been salvageable had the choral melodies been replaced by guitar. The best parts of the song are when the choral stuff is dropped, and Matt just rips it on guitar.

Anyway, that's my .02

I find it hard to take seriously an event whose organisers threaten to prosecute people using words like "gold", "silver" and "2012" in an "inappropriate way".

Also, are you really getting a Third Reich vibe from this, and not Murray Gold going utterly kitchen-sink bonkers? I still think that this is very aware of its own ridiculousness.

This is imo much harder than CoD. This is half a step higher note and almost the exact same approach as the note in CoD, both being fairly difficult. Half a step up in comfortable range isn't much, but it surely is at the top of one's range.

I hate bringing it up again since it's been discussed to death, but we all remember how the G4 in Resistance was avoided time after time during the last tour. That note can't even be compared to this one. I'm actually afraid that this song will become a rarity and eventually disappear just because of those few difficult notes (Bb4 sustained chest, A4 note with dictation in verse before falsetto and the last falsetto)

Maybe he's in great shape and the album will contain other songs that difficult :awesome: and he won't avoid them live :awesome: so he can play showbiz and micro cuts flawlessly again :awesome:

lol

Maybe he's in great shape and the album will contain other songs that difficult :awesome: and he won't avoid them live :awesome: so he can play showbiz and micro cuts flawlessly again :awesome:

I don't think he ever stopped playing Showbiz flawlessly. He just stopped playing Showbiz, which is a flaw in itself.

Seeing as it's the Olympic song, I can't see it being a rarity early on. They want the exposure as much as possible, and I know the tour is after the Games have finished, but it'll be their biggest song of the year. They'll play it with Matt altering the notes live because it'll tire him out to screech at every show (being the poor excuse :p).

I don't agree that it's harder, though. CoD still sounds more difficult, imo. Doesn't mean he's any more likely to attempt it often live, but I can't see why he'd create so many difficult parts to one song only to avoid doing them live :LOL:. Sounds great in studio and we all know he CAN do it live, so I don't wanna make claims that he won't bother before they've even performed it once.

While the Prelude was nice, I'm hoping the album isn't filled with short instrumental transition songs. Prelude and the orchestral part at the beginning of the trailer (if it ends up being split from the Unsustainable part) already make two.

I'm a bit disappointed that The 2nd Law trailer ended up being one song. The first bit is MUCH better than the dubstep bit; it feels more like classic Muse and could have been something epic like Exogenesis if they'd taken it further than just 30 seconds.

And the transition made more sense in trailer form - going from one extreme to the next and abruptly to add a 'shock' factor, but I'm not sure it'll work so well within one full song.I hope the longer version of the song is actually a lot different to that short clip we've seen. Hopefully there's more of a string element and less wub wub :p.

lol

Yes and then they'll start taking requests from fans during gigs and play them. And then they'll do a private gig first in your house then come to mine afterwards and we'll have this huge champagne party afterwards discussing music and awesome stuff. :yesey:

Yes and then they'll start taking requests from fans during gigs and play them. And then they'll do a private gig first in your house then come to mine afterwards and we'll have this huge champagne party afterwards discussing music and awesome stuff. :yesey:

I was actually a bit serious with "Maybe he's in great shape and the album will contain other songs that difficult" though :phu:

Seeing as it's the Olympic song, I can't see it being a rarity early on. They want the exposure as much as possible, and I know the tour is after the Games have finished, but it'll be their biggest song of the year. They'll play it with Matt altering the notes live because it'll tire him out to screech at every show (being the poor excuse :p).

I don't agree that it's harder, though. CoD still sounds more difficult, imo. Doesn't mean he's any more likely to attempt it often live, but I can't see why he'd create so many difficult parts to one song only to avoid doing them live :LOL:. Sounds great in studio and we all know he CAN do it live, so I don't wanna make claims that he won't bother before they've even performed it once.

Listening and comparing again, I gotta say Survival note is indeed much harder. The approach is slightly more sudden, the note has more power and it's higher. Yes, it's abit shorter than the CoD note, but not that much.

He's always been doing difficult notes in studio. I'm pretty sure he knows very well what he's capable of doing live through a tour, but he probably wants it to sound as good as possible on the record. There are dozens of examples, but a recent one must be MK Ultra. It was played half a step down from the very first live performance.

I was actually a bit serious with "Maybe he's in great shape and the album will contain other songs that difficult" though :phu:

Hehe I know, and I'm very sure you're right. He has never holded back on vocals on records and I have a feeling that the vocals will be better than ever on this record. Hopefully he'll keep up the good work through the tour.

Edit: Whoops sorry double-post.

Archived