Jimmyneutron

My totally original answer to this question is...

Feeling Good.

What, you're not surprised? :LOL:

Also, I'm with Chris, Darkshines is just strange. If they'd have put Dead Star in it's place and Futurism in Feeling Good's place, and found a space for In Your World, it would, quite litterally, be flawless.

That's my biggest problem with The Resistance actually. Too many different styles, too stop start, fast then slow, fast then slow, fast then slow, about 10 different times. OoS is a lot better than that really. It helps that some of the tracks flow straight into each other too. I know where you're coming from though. Absolution is definitely the best 'album' in my opinion, not just based on what songs are on it and so on.

You're doing it wrong ;)

And the best bassline and the best guitarwork (well, except the Micro Cuts outro).

Yeah, I always liked Darkshines, especially the dischordant piano in the pre-chorus.

As for those who dislike Hyper Music, what the fuck? I mean, it is basically a stolen riff with vocals over the top, but it's so much fun.

Someone mentioned OoS being thematically strong and I agree, that's what makes it one of Muse's best albums.

oooh. Lemme see.

• Don't like How Bliss "fades out". The fadeout jars with Space Dementia a bit
  • On a contradictory note, The end of Space Dementia. Not that i dislike it, but it seems a bit... strange to have such a climax three tracks into an album. Would have maybe swapped it with Megalomania (more on that in a sec).
  • Dead Star should have been on the album
  • With Dead Star on, the tracklisting would need shuffled - to Newborn/Bliss/Megalomania/Dead Star/Plug in babyHyper Music/Citizen Erased/Micro Cuts/Screenager/Darkshines/Space Dementia. (Megalomania into Dead Star is a nice constrast whereas Space Dementia into Hyper Music was always a little weird to me, plus if you crossfade the end of Dead Star and the start of Plug in Baby, it works really well)
  • Screenager should have been recorded on piano
  • That godawful Synthesised trumpet through the MIDI pickup in Darkshines. I loathe it - ruins an otherwise great song and actually, a pretty good melody/solo
  • Feeling Good is HOPELESSLY out of place on the album. Futurism wouldn't have fitted too much better either.

Dead Star

New Born

Bliss

Space Dementia

Hyper Music

Plug In Baby

Citizen Erased

Micro Cuts

Screenager

Darkshines

Megalomania

Works 100% for me. I have no beef with the Micro Cuts > Screenager > Darkshines > Megalomania section; they're all really dark sounding tracks and fit together beautifully for me.

Sonically, they're diverse, but thematically it works. That's where Black Holes & Revelations and The Resistance falls down. They're both musically and thematically diverse and it just jarrs in my head.

+1 to that entire post

darkshines has some of the best vocal energy of the entire album, it ain't goin' anywhere :phu:

Sven, this makes me like you even more :happy:

oooh. Lemme see.

• Screenager should have been recorded on piano

As much as I agree with you I don't think it would have fitted as well between Micro Cuts and Dark Shines as the guitar version does... It's a bit like Hoodoo the whole piano version is miles better but wouldn't have fitted with the rest of BH&R at all.

Dead Star

New Born

Bliss

Space Dementia

Hyper Music

Plug In Baby

Citizen Erased

Micro Cuts

Screenager

Darkshines

Megalomania

This. It'd be perfect. I'd add in Futurism though.

I do like Feeling Good, I just don't think it should have a place on a studio album. I prefer when covers are left off albums and yes I know there's exceptions with bands, but for Muse I would prefer they only have original songs on the album. They should have released it either as the Japanese bonus track or as a b-side and put Futurism on the album instead. With Dead Star included on the album as well, obviously.

Megalomania is superb. Lyrically, thematically, musically, atmospherically, vocally, instrumentally, even the perfectly fitting title. Love that song.

[*]Don't like How Bliss "fades out". The fadeout jars with Space Dementia a bit

[*]On a contradictory note, The end of Space Dementia. Not that i dislike it, but it seems a bit... strange to have such a climax three tracks into an album. Would have maybe swapped it with Megalomania (more on that in a sec).

[*]Dead Star should have been on the album

[*]With Dead Star on, the tracklisting would need shuffled - to Newborn/Bliss/Megalomania/Dead Star/Plug in babyHyper Music/Citizen Erased/Micro Cuts/Screenager/Darkshines/Space Dementia. (Megalomania into Dead Star is a nice constrast whereas Space Dementia into Hyper Music was always a little weird to me, plus if you crossfade the end of Dead Star and the start of Plug in Baby, it works really well)

[*]Screenager should have been recorded on piano

[*]That godawful Synthesised trumpet through the MIDI pickup in Darkshines. I loathe it - ruins an otherwise great song and actually, a pretty good melody/solo

[*]Feeling Good is HOPELESSLY out of place on the album. Futurism wouldn't have fitted too much better either.

+1 on the Bliss fade out...New Born and Bliss both start too slowly on the album to be honest...ALTHOUGH...The Bliss fade out would work so well if the fade in to Dead Star followed it, and then Space Dementia was moved further down like you said...Then you'd also get Dead Star into Hyper Music, etc, which would be epic...

Anyway, I listened to some points of contention last night, and Darkshines definitely doesn't slow the pace really, and Screenager is brilliant and deserving of its place on there...

I would agree the Feeling Good does feel out of place thematically, although I'd be curious to know how many people disliked the song before it became the 'cool' thing to do on the board, and how many people genuinely don't like it on its own. The same could be said for Guiding Light, etc, as well to be honest. I listened to that as well last night, and damn it, I like it. Deal with it. Although it does slow things down a bit much live...

To the person on the top of Page 4 who disagreed on the flow issue, what's interesting is that I can't argue with what you've said...Theoretically it makes perfect sense, but somehow it's just a feeling in listening to that album...Every song feels like it's meant to be there...The Resistance feels more like a collection of songs put together in a bit more generic fashion, like it's just following a formula...Political intro, lovey second song, more pop-style third song, etc...Same as BHAR really, but that flowed more thematically somehow...

Archived