Jimmyneutron

If I were to say anything, it's just that the album is completely blown away by its live counterparts, which spoils the studio versions a bit. This could be said for a lot of Muse's work though really. But specifically on OoS, I would say that it's a crying shame (:ninja:) that Futurism wasn't kept on. One of Muse's best basslines, in my opinion, and it deserved a place on there with Hyper Music's.

And to be fair, I can see people's points about the momentum in the second half of the album. But I guess that track order allows the first half to be as epic as it is.

That's my biggest problem with The Resistance actually. Too many different styles, too stop start, fast then slow, fast then slow, fast then slow, about 10 different times. OoS is a lot better than that really. It helps that some of the tracks flow straight into each other too. I know where you're coming from though. Absolution is definitely the best 'album' in my opinion, not just based on what songs are on it and so on.

New Born could do with some better drumming and being shortened a bit, Feeling Good is shit and err. Otherwise it's all good. I agree with Clunge that they should have waited and put Dead Star on there though. Not as the opener though, perhaps after Darkshines (which is one of the best songs on the album, like seriously, I can't believe how anybody could dislike it).

Dead Star

New Born

Bliss

Space Dementia

Hyper Music

Plug In Baby

Citizen Erased

Micro Cuts

Screenager

Darkshines

Megalomania

Works 100% for me. I have no beef with the Micro Cuts > Screenager > Darkshines > Megalomania section; they're all really dark sounding tracks and fit together beautifully for me.

Sonically, they're diverse, but thematically it works. That's where Black Holes & Revelations and The Resistance falls down. They're both musically and thematically diverse and it just jarrs in my head.

Agreed. Plus it fits so well lyrically and thematically.

How about...

New Born

Bliss

Space Dementia

Hyper Music

Plug In Baby

Citizen Erased

Micro Cuts

Dead Star

Futurism

Darkshines

Screenager

Megalomania

Messing with the order a bit! :p

I'm not completely sure about the ending with Screenager, as it stops the pace a bit, but could work well into Megalomania. Dead Star could work well after Micro Cuts though.

New Born could do with some better drumming and being shortened a bit, Feeling Good is shit and err. Otherwise it's all good. I agree with Clunge that they should have waited and put Dead Star on there though. Not as the opener though, perhaps after Darkshines (which is one of the best songs on the album, like seriously, I can't believe how anybody could dislike it).

I agree with your view on Darkshines.

I don't mind Feeling Good. It was either that and/or Plug in Baby that brought Muse to my attention many years ago, so I can't join in with the mass hate of it. Thus, I have nothing negative to say about OoS and don't belong in this thread :D

Feeling Good doesn't belong on there. Should have been a B side, there were plenty of b sides they could have used or old pre-Showbiz songs that could have been restructured.

I don't like Darkshines at all.

That's my biggest problem with The Resistance actually. Too many different styles, too stop start, fast then slow, fast then slow, fast then slow, about 10 different times. OoS is a lot better than that really. It helps that some of the tracks flow straight into each other too. I know where you're coming from though. Absolution is definitely the best 'album' in my opinion, not just based on what songs are on it and so on.

Well, I must admit I disagree on the whole "absolution flows perfectly - the resistance flows badly" thing. I mean it's not just you, I've heard it plenty of times. How can SS flow nicely into FAWY? Or hysteria into blackout? Or TSP into endlessly? TOADA into RbS? I don't have a problem with tracks going slow - fast - slow - fast and so I'm not complaning on how absolution flows, I'm just trying to point out that if something is zig-zag, it's absolution. ;) I prefer that over parts of album being completely one sided, like screenager->darkshines->feeling good->megalomania.

So to go back ontopic, I'd say what many others said before - tempo and energy of OOS get kinda sluggish towards the end. Personally, I think that stockolm syndrome would fit into OOS really well and putting that instead of feeling good would make a perfect album for me. :D But you know, little imperfections make things even prettier, so I like to think of it that way. :happy:

Also, there is something I never see anyone else mentioning so I'm wondering if I'm the only one feeling that way - I kinda think that OOS artwork isn't really cohesive. You know, the whole album theme, album cover, booklet artwork, even single covers etc. I know it has nothing to do with the music, but I'd like to see other opinions on this (besides, artwork is also part of the album right?). The resistance is better on that field. And as much as I always prefer muse over radiohead (although I think they are pretty damn fantastic too), as examples of perfectly cohesive albums I would probably name ok computer and kid A.

Archived