Progressive Song Discussion Thread

Aussie Muser

Sorry to derail the thread with UD - I thought each person brought a song to the table :stunned:

It's all good :thumbsup:

The thread works by slowly talking about each chronological song as the OP brings it up. Although we weren't really going anywhere at the moment so there was some discussion out of it.

Screenager

This one took a long time to grow on me but when it finally did there were so man emotions inside me. Matt's vocals are beautiful and the choruses are some of their best. I'm one of those who loves both the piano and the guitar versions equaly. Alal the talking crowd ambience is amazing. Definetiely one of the strongest songs on OoS.

9/10

yeah, screenager is typically the song that has to grow on you. it took me months to realise that the song I always thought of as 'weird, dull and boring' was actually very,very beautiful. the chorus has that "dark perfection" which is so typical of OoS-era Muse. love it.

8/10, because I still find the guitar playing at the beginning and at the end a bit weird. and that's not likely to change:LOL: also, i think it'd be nice if the song would build up to something. I'm not thinking of some epic outburst, but perhaps a nice, fairly powerful acoustic ending, that's a bit more intense than the rest of the song.

I remember watching Hullabaloo back in 2006 and not being able to remember it's name. I found it dull and nothing special. Then as time passed by it grew on me and now I think it's one of the best OoS-tracks. And that's not done easily. 9/10

8/10

The reason I adore screenager is all the funky sounds, those human bones maan :LOL: bu honestly it makes me sad that I don't think muse will become that stripped back for a whole song again, and I'd really love some of that on the new album. Screenager is beautiful, I love the tone of Matts voice and the piano version on hullabaloo is stunning

Screenager is fucking beautiful, currently among my favourite Muse songs. Guitar and percussion are particularly good, and it's also one of Matt's greatest, most tender vocal performances. Probably the closest thing Muse have come to subtlety as well, not that that's saying a whole lot. :LOL:

10/10

I really never got the dislike towards Screenager. It's not the most energetic song on the album but it's just as beautiful as the best of them. The percussion during the verses, then the chorus with the swelling arpeggios. It's all just great to me. And while the lyrics may be some of the more direct on the album they've been some of the most touching I've heard from the band.

Also, I prefer the guitar version live. I would love for them to bring that back so I could see it.

Love the guitar tone and the haunting and beautiful vocals of Screenager. Its definately one of their more experimental and stripped back songs, and I love the fact that it made it onto the album. Prefer the guitar in the studio version to the piano version. And also, Muse's most Radiohead-ish song if there ever was one (in terms of being slightly weird but beautiful)

9/10

Week's full so let's move on to the next song

Darkshines

In terms of vocals this is the highlight of OoS for me. Matt's screaming during the choruses is amazing, so is the guitar tone. The sound of the guitar during the solos is just amazing, it sounds like a weird trumpet or something like that. Also has some cool piano licks in there. Really love this song, it's also good live, instrumentally it was amazing at Reading but vocally Matt just doesn't want to keep up anymore.

8.5/10 for me.

aww dark shines:LOL: it's surely one of the craziest songs I've ever heard, and it's perfect in so many ways there's just not enough place to describe it. it's edgy, it's dark, it's heavy, everything a proper Muse song should be. the chaos piano at the beginning of the choruses just takes me out of this world everytime I hear it. not to mention that this song has imo one of the best bass lines of all Muse songs. Matt also gives his best in the vocals.

I don't see any reason why I should give this materpiece any less than

10/10

And also, Muse's most Radiohead-ish song if there ever was one (in terms of being slightly weird but beautiful)

9/10

In those terms yes, although I still think Overdue is their most Radiohead-ish song (sounding like any Pablo Honey song or Bones). And HCM just cause Exit Music.

Now Darkshines, oddly enough I never got the complete love for this song. I think it's great, as is all songs off the album, but I suppose it never had that element that wow'd me with the exception of one thing which is that the bassline is my favorite off Origin of Symmetry. It's a pretty underrated one in my opinion.

I also love the layering. There's so many different little sounds going on during the song, especially when it explodes into the last chorus.

Exit Music is worlds better, IMO. The stripped back nature of HCM really draws attention to how shit the lyrics are.

/controversialopinion

I wouldn't call the lyrics shit. They work perfectly in the album version. And musically I think HCM is much more interesting then exit music.

Archived