Progressive Song Discussion Thread

Aussie Muser

Ok so here's an idea. There are tons of great Muse songs out there that don't get the recognition they deserve. So here's what I put to you. Rather than creating seven or eight threads which are on the main board to discuss these lesser lights, I have created this thread.

If you like, it's a progressive song discussion thread. Each week (or two if we come to a good one) we discuss a different song. We go through album tracks, b-sides and others.

Talk about what you like, what you don't like. If the song ranks in your top Muse songs - and if so, where? What you think couldve been improved.

This is the first thread I have created on the board. I'm hoping we get some good discussion going and to ensure the thread stays true, I'm employing a rule that discussion is only limited to the song we are talking about and not any one after it.

I got this idea from a forum for the "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" TV series where they had one thread which discussed each episode in depth for two weeks. I thought given there are around 147 episodes, that was a better idea than having episode discussion threads. So that is why I saw the merits in this one too.

So what are everyone's thoughts about this idea? If people like it we will dive right into Sunburn. I understand if Mods think this falls under the heading of 'already a thread on this' as I am sure most songs have their own discussion threads but I think this idea is good because it discusses every song, especially the ones that get overlooked.

So I'm starting with Sunburn. I'll write my thoughts up about this song a little later.

Sunburn

Great song. Muse chose to start their first album with an excellent first track. That familiar piano intro, the lyrics, the bassline, the guitars when they come on. It all screams instant classic. This song is terrific live too - both the piano and guitar versions. My favourite part is the guitar riff just before the solo - especially when played live - this just goes off. I'm not sure how they could've done any better. Maybe a bit better production. I think it's pretty close to perfect though.

9/10

I get what you're saying but this thread is not limited to just Sunburn. We will eventually discuss every song. For example in two weeks time we discuss Fillip and Falling Down. Two of the lesser lights although still songs I like. I did a search and there are about eight songs that don't have their own thread. Plus this saves having twenty or thirty separate song discussion threads on the first page. I really would like the Mods to consider this idea but again, I understand if they think this isn't original.

Ah well, guess we'll see. :(

I get what you're saying but this thread is not limited to just Sunburn. We will eventually discuss every song. For example in two weeks time we discuss Fillip and Falling Down. Two of the lesser lights although still songs I like. I did a search and there are about eight songs that don't have their own thread. Plus this saves having twenty or thirty separate song discussion threads on the first page. I really would like the Mods to consider this idea but again, I understand if they think this isn't original.

Ah well, guess we'll see. :(

I get what you are saying about this thread!

About sunburn, well i love that song... It really is a great first song and i am in love with the lyrics (as you can see in my sig :p)

(I also think that showbiz gets to much hate... sorry if its off topic :happy:)

I see what you're saying, however your thread title mentions the song Sunburn. It's an interesting idea, but maybe it would be better to have a thread that doesn't list a specific song in the title. I don't think you can edit the thread title (only a mod can), but you can update the first post as necessary to add more songs.

Maybe a mod will have some advice. :)

As far as Sunburn, it's probably my 3rd favorite on Showbiz. I love the bass line a lot. I also like acoustic guitar versions of the song. I'd give it an 8.5/10.

Yeah, the title could be a problem. But I think this is a good thread idea! :)

Sunburn is one of, if not the best track on Showbiz. It makes a great start in an album that does eventually tail off a bit. I feel Sunburn is a song that strongly hints at the direction Muse would go on to take, and also contains some of Matt's stronger lyrics from this period. I'm not a big fan of Showbiz (the album), but I do think Sunburn is really good.

So you saw "Sunburn" and figured "hey, I don't even need to read what he says!"?

Yeah, I read it. No need to be snippy. :indiff: If one wants to have an indepth discussion about Sunburn, there are several threads already available. Perusing the board, no one would see this thread title and think that any song other than Sunburn would be discussed. Only when you read further would that happen. So imo, the thread title doesn't really match the intended purpose, therefore it's confusing. It looks as if there would be a different thread every week, which would be unnecessary since there are already so many threads dedicated to specific songs where anything about that song could be discussed.

I see what you're saying, however your thread title mentions the song Sunburn. It's an interesting idea, but maybe it would be better to have a thread that doesn't list a specific song in the title. I don't think you can edit the thread title (only a mod can), but you can update the first post as necessary to add more songs.

Maybe a mod will have some advice. :)

As far as Sunburn, it's probably my 3rd favorite on Showbiz. I love the bass line a lot. I also like acoustic guitar versions of the song. I'd give it an 8.5/10.

Hmmm, you make a good point. I thought you could change your title actually because before anyone replied I was able to but it turns out i can't so i will get right on that! thanks for the feedback!

:)

no one would see this thread title and think that any song other than Sunburn would be discussed

You wouldn't, not everyone, there is a big difference. I got the point just by the thread, and many else seemed to get the point. There was still no need to link those threads if you'd gotten the point of the thread.

It looks as if there would be a different thread every week, which would be unnecessary since there are already so many threads dedicated to specific songs where anything about that song could be discussed.

YOU think it looks that way, you can't complain on a thread/title just because you didn't get it. If you'd read the post there really shouldn't be any complains.

You wouldn't, not everyone, there is a big difference. I got the point just by the thread, and many else seemed to get the point. There was still no need to link those threads if you'd gotten the point of the thread.

YOU think it looks that way, you can't complain on a thread/title just because you didn't get it. If you'd read the post there really shouldn't be any complains.

I can tell you like arguing, and I don't. So yay! You win!

Good idea I reckon! If people keep it going obviously.

Sunburn 9/10

One of the best "pop" songs Muse have ever written. Amazingly catchy piano line that's just dripping with the emotion and flair of romantic period composers such as Rachmaninoff, except presented in an accessible, poppy way. The bass is awesome in this track and the atmosphere created is just great.

Yeah, I read it. No need to be snippy. :indiff: If one wants to have an indepth discussion about Sunburn, there are several threads already available. Perusing the board, no one would see this thread title and think that any song other than Sunburn would be discussed. Only when you read further would that happen. So imo, the thread title doesn't really match the intended purpose, therefore it's confusing. It looks as if there would be a different thread every week, which would be unnecessary since there are already so many threads dedicated to specific songs where anything about that song could be discussed.

Actually no, the point is to keep the same thread going and discuss a different song each week (or two weeks if we hit a really popular one)

This will have the opposite effect actually because I ewanted to limit the ampount of space taken up by discussion threads on the board. (well keep the ones we've alreayd got, but limit any further ones being created)

So I'd keep the same thread going each week - actually I was planning on editing the title 9on some forums you can edit your own thread title) but I realise now that isn't possible.

Actually no, the point is to keep the same thread going and discuss a different song each week (or two weeks if we hit a really popular one)

This will have the opposite effect actually because I ewanted to limit the ampount of space taken up by discussion threads on the board. (well keep the ones we've alreayd got, but limit any further ones being created)

So I'd keep the same thread going each week - actually I was planning on editing the title 9on some forums you can edit your own thread title) but I realise now that isn't possible.

I know what you're saying. When I said it "looks like there would be a different t thread each week" I meant it literally looks that way because of the title. I fully understand that's not your intent. Clearly there is a lot of interest in your idea, and I'm sure if you want, a mod can help you with the title.

I know what you're saying. When I said it "looks like there would be a different t thread each week" I meant it literally looks that way because of the title. I fully understand that's not your intent. Clearly there is a lot of interest in your idea, and I'm sure if you want, a mod can help you with the title.

thanks. I understand, but I didn't want anyone else thinking that way, that's all :)

All good.

I PM'd both the moderators in Main Muse to get one of them to edit it for me.

Well to get back on track - I'd say Sunburn is one of the best on Showbiz, I'm glad they only really play it on piano live nowadays - the guitar version feels a bit weak to me. Glad to say it's one of a mere 2 Showbiz songs I've seen live. :)

The point of the thread seems slightly redundant, but whatevs.

Sunburn is quite possibly the best song on Showbiz. I've only recently realized how brilliant it is, but it really is incredible. It was a great choice for a first track on the debut album, as I'm sure I would have been pulled in immediately if it was the first song I heard by them. I haven't heard many other songs with that kind of musical structure, I would have immediately recognized them as unique. The guitar solo is also fairly underrated; it's one of my favorite Muse solos.

10/10

Archived