Progressive Song Discussion Thread

Aussie Muser

New Born is definetly one of my fav muse songs!!my band cover it and i just go mental wen the riff comes in!!have a 0.59 e string on order to get that fat tone(matt uses a 0.60 e string,but culdnt find one seperatly) coupled with that fuzz factory for the riff,it sounds amazing...the whole album does!!:)

New Born - 7.5/10 - Great Riffs but I think it has been bettered since. Lyrical content really needs to be explained to me on this track. Some tracks are blindingly obvious in what they are referring to but I really struggle with this track, anyone care to enlighten me - Matt B...???

new born is a fantastic song, and an incredible opener for an album. you have this tiny and gentle piano and can't imagine at all the storm that is coming...

Matthew Bellamy said of the song: "It's about a semi-fear of the evolution of technology, and how in reality it's destroying all humanity. My fear is that we can't control it because it's moving faster than we are, so the songs setting myself in a location in the future where the body is no longer important and everyone's plugged into a network. The opening line is 'link it to the world', so it's connecting yourself on a worldwide scale and being born into another reality, in a way it's on the same lines as the film The Matrix, but we weren't intending on copying their idea on technology and how it has evolved."

Chris Wolstenholme said: "New Born I think between the three of us is probably one of our favourite tracks off Origin of Symmetry. It is a good live track. I think it's one of the songs which showcases the experimental side of the band. It is not really a conventional pop song. I think a lot of the reason for choosing these songs is that we went for the heavier more direct kind of songs rather than going for anything too mellow".

Moving onwards - BLISS.

When I first heard this song, I just didn't get all the hype. That was until I saw the Live version. For a large period of the '00s I thought this was their best live song. I mean it's just so epic.

Still this is a real divider when it comes to the fans. It's one of those songs that you just simply love or it doesn't do much for you.

Probably the best part of this song is the bit after the arpeggio when it just goes off. Perfect for headbanging. Anyway, I just love this song because it's lyrics are actually bearable and not cheesy, proving Muse can pull this sort of style off without sounding like NCS or Guiding Light.

One of my rotating five favourite songs. Although it is behind the other four a majority of the time, there are times when I go through an obsession with this song.

10/10

I'm not really sure why everyone loves Bliss so much, it's obviously one of the weaker tracks on OoS. I mean, it's not bad by any means, but it's not amazing. I admit that sometimes I hear it and I think, "This is great!" But that's only once in a while. It's one of those songs that I never skip when it comes up in my shuffle, but mostly because I'd feel guilty for not skipping it.

Anyway: For the most part, it's a very interesting song, just gets dull after a little while. I think I'll give it 7/10.

• 3 weeks later...

New born: still one of my favourite songs, like the twisted weird lyrics, the piano intro and the way it develops into a kind of harder song, love the riff 10/10

Bliss: first Muse song I was crazy about and I still love it, quite simple but great, according to my interpretation a very positive love song (I know, some people interpret it differently), live it's even better 10/10

Hopefully Aussie Muser returns soon so this thread can come back to life.

Come back Aussie Muser! Without you we're lost, crushed, cold and confused.

I've just rediscovered Bliss. It's so wonderful. And it's video too! One of Muse's best.

It could just be the red hair making me say that though...

Archived