Progressive Song Discussion Thread

Aussie Muser

I used to hate pretty much everything on the Hullabaloo album but now I really love most of the tracks on there! I don't know, just recently they all really clicked for me.

I love how Recess has such an awesome, intense and loud ending for a song that starts so mellow and eerie.

Also the vocal harmonies...:ohmy:

Ok, well let's either bash or defend Knights of Cydonia to our hearts content here.

This thread is for progressively discussing songs in a chronological order and we're still on Hullabaloo right now.

Though if we really want to discuss Knights of Cydonia we could bump this thread:

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=32428&highlight=knights+cydonia&page=68

It's what the original poster wants and we should respect that. Plus it is off-topic and completely disregards the whole point of this thread.

Where does he say we have to go in order? He says we go through "album tracks, b-sides and others". Never mentions shit nuggets about going chronologically. Also Kuller isn't the original poster. He is a dimestore punk.

Ok so here's an idea. There are tons of great Muse songs out there that don't get the recognition they deserve. So here's what I put to you. Rather than creating seven or eight threads which are on the main board to discuss these lesser lights, I have created this thread.

If you like, it's a progressive song discussion thread. Each week (or two if we come to a good one) we discuss a different song. We go through album tracks, b-sides and others.

Talk about what you like, what you don't like. If the song ranks in your top Muse songs - and if so, where? What you think couldve been improved.

This is the first thread I have created on the board. I'm hoping we get some good discussion going and to ensure the thread stays true, I'm employing a rule that discussion is only limited to the song we are talking about and not any one after it.

I got this idea from a forum for the "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer" TV series where they had one thread which discussed each episode in depth for two weeks. I thought given there are around 147 episodes, that was a better idea than having episode discussion threads. So that is why I saw the merits in this one too.

The original intent was to cut down on having 100+ threads for each song.

Where does he say we have to go in order? He says we go through "album tracks, b-sides and others". Never mentions shit nuggets about going chronologically. Also Kuller isn't the original poster. He is a dimestore punk.

The original intent was to cut down on having 100+ threads for each song.

Did I ever say Kueller was the original poster???

And also it is pretty clear that the original intent was to do them in order considering we started on Sunburn, the first track of the first album and that it has been going in order the entire thread...

Did I ever say Kueller was the original poster???

And also it is pretty clear that the original intent was to do them in order considering we started on Sunburn, the first track of the first album and that it has been going in order the entire thread...

OH YA! OHYTAAAFJRHJASERHEPF!

Let's fucking asking him. Aussie Muser ... I SUMMON THEE!

Let's fucking asking him. Aussie Muser ... I SUMMON THEE!

He hasn't shown up in the thread for a while, which is why I took over discussion at least until he comes back because this thread was turning horrible through relying solely on self-moderation without anyone directing discussion.

Anyways back on discussion to the current song, Recess...

Are there any other audio or video recording of Recess live other than this one?

I do believe that's the only professional recorded one we have. I'm surprised the fans were lucky enough to get a proshot at all of this song.

I totally see Recess coming back this tour, as a staple gig opener.

Y U make me realize that Muse won't play these kind of songs anymore. :'(

I never really got into Recess. It is creepy and all, but it lacks something. Maybe it would be better in the context of an album.

6/10

Not a standout from their career, but classic angsty lyrics from Bellamy and decent falsetto, groovy (poor choice of word probably but you get my meaning) instrumentation and the outro exemplifies a lot of their earlier sound. I feel like listening to it again, actually.

Got caught up in some of the other threads so it's been a while.

But now Yes Please

I was never much of a fan of this song. It's a decent riff but there's not much variation from it. I can enjoy Matt's singing on occasion but overall it doesn't do much for me. Even as a live energetic song I'd prefer something like Agitated. One of those b-sides I can see why remained a b-side.

Archived