I thought it was almost a fact that a big quantity of people inhabiting FaceBook and following bands like Muse tend to complain about it just cause of the Twilight association and for the sole purpose of being edgy and pretentious cunts.

No I imagine it's because they have quite varied record collections and could easily post 100 songs that are way better than this tripe.

And there's relatively few artists who have written better stuff than Muse in the last 10 years, prior to this abortion.

No I imagine it's because they have quite varied record collections and could easily post 100 songs that are way better than this tripe.

And there's relatively few artists who have written better stuff than Muse in the last 10 years, prior to this abortion.

Sure is serious around here.

Are people really that old fashioned? I wouldn't have thought it would have crossed his mind, it didn't mine, but who knows?!

For people who are very traditional Catholics, which I think you'd find a good number of in Italy, it could have been an issue (like among older family members)... but I don't want to speculate further, since I don't know any of these people ;)

Well you're the one using the phrase 'pretentious cunts' as if they couldn't possibly dislike a Muse song. For people not on this board, it's one of the few ways they can let it be known they don't like the song.

You completely overlooked what I meant by that though.

A good number of updates that Muse post on their wall sometimes end up with shit like "why do you guys support Twilight" "boycott" and people who like to claim themselves as "real Muse fans" by procclaiming proudly how they will go listen to OoS and let Muse know that this is what direction they should be going. These guys also like to bash other's wall posts that respond positively.

I won't say the same for forumgoers because I have barely ever seen anyone like that here as most people mention, but Facebook is an entirely different story that holds the attention span of practically everyone that would be able to tell which end of a gun makes loud noises.

I'm probably totally off-base on this, but it sounds to me like he could be taking aim at the Catholic church's hypocritical and judgmental positions on topics like sex and cohabitation before marriage. The church condemns and looks down on (hence the word "proud") unmarried couples who live together but it's a false ("fake") pride because the church seems to tolerate and even condone horrific acts committed by its own clergy. Eventually this hypocrisy could cause the church's beliefs to be cast under a cloud - that is, subject to disgrace or suspicion - and possibly disintegrate altogether "like snowflakes in an ocean."

I read that Matt wrote this song about his breakup with his girlfriend so maybe the fact that they lived together but weren't married was a problem for them somehow. Didn't they live in Italy, the epicenter of Roman Catholic orthodoxy?

Incidentally, that "snowflakes in an ocean" line reminds me of the first stanza of a Teasdale poem I've always loved:

I am not yours, not lost in you,

Not lost, although I long to be

Lost as a candle lit at noon,

Lost as a snowflake in the sea.

Thank YOU very much for writting this very completed and interesting post to read about what I was asking.

Pretty interesting read and they were living around Lake Como in Italy.

I'm wondering if he has left Italy for good now ? (since the whole album was recorded there).

Italy is well known for having the Vatican in Rome, home of the "pope" himself, so perharps it's a shot at them (or not).

Matt tends to sounds schizo when it comes to catholicism and religion : you have songs like Megalomania, Fury, Unnatural Selection ("no religion or mind virus") , "Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist" and now NSC which tend to make me thing he is anti religion (but again I could be wrong could be wrong !).

On the other hand the guy sings "Sing For Absolution, I will be singing" and "It's Time For A Miracle ! Come On, It's Time For Something Biblical !"

Last but not least "Glorious" ("Faith It Drives Me Away But It Turns Me On Like A Stranger's Love").

I think this last one could sum up his spiritual "beliefs" (torn between believing and not believing into religion or some "Higher Power" ?).

I'm seriously thinking about starting a thread about this cause It fascinates me personnally :p:happy:

I've missed shitloads on here again. So, have Muse surpassed themselves in the cheesefest stakes yet? Hell yes. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for those God awful lyrics :LOL:. I'm hoping it's a piss-take, but it doesn't seem likely... the worrying truth could be that Bellamy is on the Yellow Cheese Road to sappy songs. The choon itself is okay - beat's not bad, and Matt's voice is strong, but it's too tweeny and seems like it's desperately aiming at a younger age group. PLEASE don't let this be a taste of things to come! I want Muse the rock band back!

I've missed shitloads on here again. So, have Muse surpassed themselves in the cheesefest stakes yet? Hell yes. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for those God awful lyrics :LOL:. I'm hoping it's a piss-take, but it doesn't seem likely... the worrying truth could be that Bellamy is on the Yellow Cheese Road to sappy songs. The choon itself is okay - beat's not bad, and Matt's voice is strong, but it's too tweeny and seems like it's desperately aiming at a younger age group. PLEASE don't let this be a taste of things to come! I want Muse the rock band back!

I totally agree with you, the lyrics are well... Not the best to say they least..

If this song wasn't muse's I think I would love it but as it turns out IT IS a muse song well I think it is catchy and good, but I expected way more and i really hope this is just a bump in the road :)

But anyone there think that matt's voice is pretty great ? (well actually in the whole resistance cd it has more quality)

I'm probably totally off-base on this, but it sounds to me like he could be taking aim at the Catholic church's hypocritical and judgmental positions on topics like sex and cohabitation before marriage. The church condemns and looks down on (hence the word "proud") unmarried couples who live together but it's a false ("fake") pride because the church seems to tolerate and even condone horrific acts committed by its own clergy. Eventually this hypocrisy could cause the church's beliefs to be cast under a cloud - that is, subject to disgrace or suspicion - and possibly disintegrate altogether "like snowflakes in an ocean."

I read that Matt wrote this song about his breakup with his girlfriend so maybe the fact that they lived together but weren't married was a problem for them somehow. Didn't they live in Italy, the epicenter of Roman Catholic orthodoxy?

Incidentally, that "snowflakes in an ocean" line reminds me of the first stanza of a Teasdale poem I've always loved:

I LOVE YOU! :happy:

"Too late

Yeah baby it's too late

And time has made the spell obey

And now it's time to desecrate

But we had a dream

And it was meant to be

And we were kissing gods

Against all the odds

Now it's a crying shame

And it's a crying shame

You don't know who to blame

We'll never be the same

And it's a crying shame"

When it comes to "worst MUSE lyrics ever" this one defeats NSC quite brillantly.

"Too late

Yeah baby it's too late

And time has made the spell obey

And now it's time to desecrate

But we had a dream

And it was meant to be

And we were kissing gods

Against all the odds

Now it's a crying shame

And it's a crying shame

You don't know who to blame

We'll never be the same

And it's a crying shame"

When it comes to "worst MUSE lyrics ever" this one defeats NSC quite brillantly.

+many :yesey:

I don't think it's a question of whether or not the lyrics are bad/cheese, it is really how the cheese is delivered and served(i.e, how it's sung, the music, etc.).

I think for some (including myself), the cheese wasn't delivered correctly. The bread stayed too long in the oven, was kind of burnt, and the cheese melted on top didn't really make it any better. The flavors didn't compliment themselves to my taste.

/failanalogy

Though I have had the "I was searching, you were on a mission..." bit stuck in my head, and I haven't listened to the song since the day it came out. :indiff:

You make references to a religion on a pop song writtten for a fucked up teen movie francise craze

No, not off base at all.

You make references to a religion on a pop song writtten for a fucked up teen movie francise craze

No, not off base at all.

So because it was written for the twilight soundtrack the lyrics can't possibly have any deeper meaning? Disagree.

This song is going to be my latest guilty pleasure. The music behind it makes me so giddy and happy! I do like it. it's about a 8/10 for me. It just makes me smile for some reason! I don't know... lol But I :facepalm: thinking that it's going to be related to twilight. It's not angsty enough for twilight but good song none the less. THANKS MUSE :):musesign:

Archived