I need some opinions about the following lines from the track

"Hail,

The preachers, fake and proud

Their doctrines will be cloud"

Who is he talking about exactly ? Any religion ? Just the christianism ? Is he bashing The Holy Bible with these words ?

Thanks for anyone sharing opinion and enlightening me about these two lines and what could be Bellamy real intention to tell us with them.

P.S : did he marry Gaia or was just living with her ?

I'm probably totally off-base on this, but it sounds to me like he could be taking aim at the Catholic church's hypocritical and judgmental positions on topics like sex and cohabitation before marriage. The church condemns and looks down on (hence the word "proud") unmarried couples who live together but it's a false ("fake") pride because the church seems to tolerate and even condone horrific acts committed by its own clergy. Eventually this hypocrisy could cause the church's beliefs to be cast under a cloud - that is, subject to disgrace or suspicion - and possibly disintegrate altogether "like snowflakes in an ocean."

I read that Matt wrote this song about his breakup with his girlfriend so maybe the fact that they lived together but weren't married was a problem for them somehow. Didn't they live in Italy, the epicenter of Roman Catholic orthodoxy?

Incidentally, that "snowflakes in an ocean" line reminds me of the first stanza of a Teasdale poem I've always loved:

I am not yours, not lost in you,

Not lost, although I long to be

Lost as a candle lit at noon,

Lost as a snowflake in the sea.

Not in my opinion, no, because I think it just isn't a good song. All twilight aside there are plenty of reasons to dislike it. I'd say the majority of the backlash/infighting is due to the song itself and it's seeming "love it/hate it" quality and the twilight connection is just a strawman setup by people who like the song and want to dismiss those who don't as simply being "haters" or whatever...Personally, I don't care if other people like the song and I don't care what movie it's associated with, that has no impact at all on my opinion. I do, though, find it annoying when people dismissively assume that those who don't like the song are somehow being dishonest about their reasons for disliking it.

(and yeah, i'd say the same about the people who assume that those who love the song only do so because they worship at the altar of bellamy or whatever)

I'm on the fence about this one. Didn't like it, felt guilty about it, not the best MUSE song ever, but also not the most irksome. Unfortunately, I've had it stuck in my head all day and on a side note, I think your parody was pretty bloody funny.

But having read the entirety of this thread (when I should be off writing a chapter), I didn't see the majority of people saying things like "you only dislike this song because of Twilight". I just didn't see that. Perhaps I missed those posts. Perhaps my eyes glazed over somewhere around 250 pages in . . . I have no idea.

I'm not so sure why people are getting so het up. I'm glad people love and support the cheeky chappies, but not sure of all the aggro going down. I actually felt a bit of relief when you took the parody approach. I thought "Thank god someone is actually willing to take the piss out of this situation."

So . . . Marmite. Discuss.

I'm not so sure why people are getting so het up. I'm glad people love and support the cheeky chappies, but not sure of all the aggro going down. I actually felt a bit of relief when you took the parody approach. I thought "Thank god someone is actually willing to take the piss out of this situation."

I think it's because there's absolutely nothing else going on with Muse atm, so people are focusing on this one blasted song.

I agree this thread is much better with song parodies and cheese hats. :)

I'm probably totally off-base on this, but it sounds to me like he could be taking aim at the Catholic church's hypocritical and judgmental positions on topics like sex and cohabitation before marriage. The church condemns and looks down on (hence the word "proud") unmarried couples who live together but it's a false ("fake") pride because the church seems to tolerate and even condone horrific acts committed by its own clergy. Eventually this hypocrisy could cause the church's beliefs to be cast under a cloud - that is, subject to disgrace or suspicion - and possibly disintegrate altogether "like snowflakes in an ocean."

I read that Matt wrote this song about his breakup with his girlfriend so maybe the fact that they lived together but weren't married was a problem for them somehow. Didn't they live in Italy, the epicenter of Roman Catholic orthodoxy?

Incidentally, that "snowflakes in an ocean" line reminds me of the first stanza of a Teasdale poem I've always loved:

Thank you for this. It sums up quite well what I've been thinking. To me it sounds like while Matt regrets losing her, deep down he believes he's got nothing to apologise for because there's one thing that was true from the very start - he loved her.

I can honestly say that I'm not too keen on the overall poppy rock sound and would prefer something deeper and darker, but i guess Matt writes the kind of music he's capable of writing at the time and that's good enough for me. I'm not too proud to say that Ilike the song, even if only for its sincerity and Matt's voice.

I'm on the fence about this one. Didn't like it, felt guilty about it, not the best MUSE song ever, but also not the most irksome. Unfortunately, I've had it stuck in my head all day and on a side note, I think your parody was pretty bloody funny.

But having read the entirety of this thread (when I should be off writing a chapter), I didn't see the majority of people saying things like "you only dislike this song because of Twilight". I just didn't see that. Perhaps I missed those posts. Perhaps my eyes glazed over somewhere around 250 pages in . . . I have no idea.

I never said, and certainly didn't mean to imply that everyone was assuming the song was hated because of twilight, it's just one of the recurring themes that push the thread around in a few more circles every few pages, like the "you just want them to make another origin!" funtiemz....

My original post was in response to a person who was saying that the song wouldn't be so hated if it wasn't associated with Eclipse. I explained why I disagreed with that.

As for why people are having so many dramatic responses, I blame Muse. Look at the type of music they make... it should come as no surprise that they tend to attract the overdramatic types ;)

Oh dear god...Is that photoshopped...?

the fact that you even have to ask that shows how far things have gone... :noey:

:LOL:

So I was browsing posts from 2001 on the old red forum, and when matt suggested everyone throw roses onstage during gigs (opera style), someone responded with this:

no!! throw baby bel! throw baby bel and all varieties of cheese!

some things never change :rolleyes:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030303081914/www.muse-official.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002725

Are people really that old fashioned? I wouldn't have thought it would have crossed his mind, it didn't mine, but who knows?!

Are people really that old fashioned? I wouldn't have thought it would have crossed his mind, it didn't mine, but who knows?!

People in Italy are very attached to the church, what with the Pope right there in Rome, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Archived