stuartrushforth

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Basically, I bought a KP2 cos I was a Bellamy wannabe (now I'm a Jonny Greenwood wannabe, but EIIRP gets boring after a while)

But the KP2 has got a bit useless.. I never use it, except for the odd time I plug my iPod in and cock about with that, which is fun.

I'm considering selling it. I got it for £60, so I could probably get that again. But- I have yet to buy cables and put it in my guitar effects chain, or use it for vocals in our band. How useful is it in these purposes, and is it worth the £60?

Basically, I bought a KP2 cos I was a Bellamy wannabe (now I'm a Jonny Greenwood wannabe, but EIIRP gets boring after a while)

But the KP2 has got a bit useless.. I never use it, except for the odd time I plug my iPod in and cock about with that, which is fun.

I'm considering selling it. I got it for £60, so I could probably get that again. But- I have yet to buy cables and put it in my guitar effects chain, or use it for vocals in our band. How useful is it in these purposes, and is it worth the £60?

I have no idea on how useful it'd be but if you wanna sell it I'd be interested :p

is it really worth buying a kaoss pad? I want it because a) Matt has one and b) i wanna try something new to add to my guitar along with my fuzz

is it worth it?

Well, I'm tempted to get one for looping and stuff, obviously the fact Matt has one and the synths he uses is appealing too, but depends how you're going to use it really

is it really worth buying a kaoss pad? I want it because a) Matt has one and b) i wanna try something new to add to my guitar along with my fuzz

is it worth it?

assuming you don't mean building it into your guitar, it could be worth it.

though they're not actually meant for guitar in the first place

It's completely useless for guitar. Useful for vocals.

Kaoss pads aren't designed to be used when you're playing traditional instruments to be honest as it's meant to be a hands on device. As a looping device for guitar it's still flawed as you have to still use your hands.

As for the synth stuff, why not just buy a synth?

I want it because a) Matt has one

If you're not going to use it and use it well then it's not worth it. Simple. If you're unsure then do some reading about it and watch some videos to see what you think. If it's something you'd want to use then get it. If it's not really going to be useful to you then don't.

If you're not going to use it and use it well then it's not worth it. Simple. If you're unsure then do some reading about it and watch some videos to see what you think. If it's something you'd want to use then get it. If it's not really going to be useful to you then don't.

Allow me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmN69e8r7ws

AWESOME

That's all kids are concerned about doing nowadays with a kaoss pad.

• 3 months later...

Just thinking cablewise for the KP when I eventually get it after the MB-1...

Can I basically just use my normal cables and go in via the mic input and out via the headphones output?

Or well that completely not work or mess up the sound horribly?

Just thinking cablewise for the KP when I eventually get it after the MB-1...

Can I basically just use my normal cables and go in via the mic input and out via the headphones output?

Or well that completely not work or mess up the sound horribly?

you could, but it really ruins the sound

put it in your FX loop.

you could, but it really ruins the sound

put it in your FX loop.

But if you put it in your FX loop you can't add any distortion to the synth sounds if you want to SMBH right?

I agree it sounds really shit when you run the guitar straight through it though.

But if you put it in your FX loop you can't add any distortion to the synth sounds if you want to SMBH right?

I agree it sounds really shit when you run the guitar straight through it though.

Yeah,

and I'm not entirely sure. I always thought that the distortion would go through the FX loop too, but maybe not...it doesn't with my amp anyway.

I suppose you could use a distortion pedal with it in the FX loop.

If you run it through the line in and line out it's not too bad but still noticeable, I wouldn't dream of running it though the mic and headphone jacks however. I'd be surprised if Bells actually runs his guitar through his.

Somehow I don't think he does. Anyone have any pictures of his pedal/rack setup?

Maybe he has something else distorting it. I need to try that.

As I've never seen or heard of Bellamy using the KP for anything other than preset synth sounds, I'd say that's a good call that he doesn't run the guitar through it.

What I want to use it for though is the effects, mainly the filters and modulation based ones, so I need to be running it as part of my effects chain with everything else. What's the best way of setting it up cable wise then? Am I going to need some kind of 1/4" to line in cable, and then a line out back to 1/4" cable? Anyone got any recommendations for those if so, unless I've misunderstood it?

As I've never seen or heard of Bellamy using the KP for anything other than preset synth sounds, I'd say that's a good call that he doesn't run the guitar through it.

What I want to use it for though is the effects, mainly the filters and modulation based ones, so I need to be running it as part of my effects chain with everything else. What's the best way of setting it up cable wise then? Am I going to need some kind of 1/4" to line in cable, and then a line out back to 1/4" cable? Anyone got any recommendations for those if so, unless I've misunderstood it?

you'll need two 1/4" to RCA cables.

cable 1 goes from FX loop send (1/4" jack) into the kaoss line in (RCA jack)

cable 2 goes from kaoss line out (RCA jack) to FX loop return (1/4" jack)

as for recommendations, nothing fancy really. I have some proco cables which are pretty nice, but I don't know if you can get them over there.

Remember you'll need a 5 pin MIDI cable to hook the guitar up as well

Hmmm...I don't think you can get them here...

Would you definitely recommend the proco ones though? Maybe I could get the guy modding my custom bridge to get some and send them over with that?

Hmmm...I don't think you can get them here...

Would you definitely recommend the proco ones though? Maybe I could get the guy modding my custom bridge to get some and send them over with that?

Yeah, I mainly use those cables, but there are plenty of other cables like that

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hosa-cpr-103-cpr-110-10ft/17395

two of those should do just fine

Cool, thanks. I do have to admit that I like the look of the proco cables, and the sweetwater cable finder is fucking awesome. I might ask the guy modding my bridge about it when he next comes back to me about something.

Archived