stuartrushforth

• 1 month later...

Are they worth getting?

I dont mean for Bellamy stuff or whatever, that's the biggest way of time ever.

But I was floating around ebay and saw some and considered buying them and, since I'm getting into recording a little more, using it to do background stuff or alter what's been played..

.. but then, surely that can be done by some cheaper program i can get for my computer?

I've never used a kaoss pad, only seen demonstrations on youtube and although it seems pretty cool, i do think about how much actual use i'd get out of it.

Anyone here use kaoss pads for anything unique?

Any examples>?

Are they worth getting?

But I was floating around ebay and saw some and considered buying them and, since I'm getting into recording a little more, using it to do background stuff or alter what's been played..

.. but then, surely that can be done by some cheaper program i can get for my computer?

I've never used a kaoss pad, only seen demonstrations on youtube and although it seems pretty cool, i do think about how much actual use i'd get out of it.

Any examples>?

read the thread

Are they worth getting?

Any examples>?

They aren't really worth it these days to be honest in my opinion. If you can pick one up cheap and have money to waste, they are probably fun, otherwise, pointless.

Even from a DJ point of view I don't see how they could be that useful. If you could build up and layer samples on the fly it would be pretty cool, but you can only use one sample at a time and can't record to sample B while sample A is playing etc. It limits what you can do with them a bit.

Even from a DJ point of view I don't see how they could be that useful. If you could build up and layer samples on the fly it would be pretty cool, but you can only use one sample at a time and can't record to sample B while sample A is playing etc. It limits what you can do with them a bit.

Compared to Live/Traktor/Serato, no idea why a Kaoss Pad would be considered for DJ'ing!

Just for the sake of it, I have the change to buy a fairly cheap KP1 and don't know if it's worth it.

Mostly would use the synth and scratch effects

(no, not to act like a Bellamy wannabe) were these already included in the KP1?

Also I heard compared to the KP2 the KP1 would have a noisy background hum, true?

• 3 months later...

you need a few things. The way it goes is:

Screen > midi encoder > midi controlled object (eg, kaoss pad.)

in the case of the korg screens, it's just the screen. There's a few places you can get them. The midi encoder can be done a number of ways, but i believe a small arduino is a pretty cheap/effective way. I'm fairly certain thats what gaz uses.

you need a few things. The way it goes is:

Screen > midi encoder > midi controlled object (eg, kaoss pad.)

in the case of the korg screens, it's just the screen. There's a few places you can get them. The midi encoder can be done a number of ways, but i believe a small arduino is a pretty cheap/effective way. I'm fairly certain thats what gaz uses.

The arduino looks a bit complicated for me :eek:... I was hoping for it to all be done like how gaz sells them with the leds and push button etc. does anyone know why he is unavailable?

The arduino looks a bit complicated for me :eek:... I was hoping for it to all be done like how gaz sells them with the leds and push button etc. does anyone know why he is unavailable?

The best bet is to see if he has any of his sets for sale on his ebay page.

Does anyone know if Kaoss Pads can be fitted in Strats? I only ever see people putting them in teles and some gibsons, is this for a particular reason?

They are put on Tele's and Les Pauls because those guitars have plenty of room behind the bridge to fit the X/Y Pad in. I'm not sure if one will fit behind the bridge on a Strat, but theres always the possibility of using the screen from a Mini Kaoss Pad instead of the full size one.

Hmm, I suppose I could ask my cousin who I was gonna get to fit in the kaoss pad to make add a bit more body to it. . . though it might be a bit awkward. . .

Meh, I dunno, I just hate teles and gibson, might see if I can find an Ibanez with enough space:p

they're not kaoss pads. They're xy-pads. :facepalm:

once again, i'll try explain this, cos there's some people who obvioulsy dont believe in search, or reading through the previous posts.

The screens you see in matt's guitars (and most of the replicas about) are JUST xy-pads. They're then connected to a midi encoder. I'm not sure if the Manson official ones are done the same, but a lot of them on the interweb are done with an arduino chip. they're small and you just program them yourself. That then has a midi port on the guitar, which connects to the midi connection on the Kaoss Pad. The actual kaoss pad is far too big to realistically fit into a guitar.

edit:

deadstar if you want to do it properly, you could always get a smaller screen if there's going to be a space constraint.

Archived