stuartrushforth

I just want to say, thanks for bringing this thread up again. Since I got mine at the start of the year and quickly tested each setting, I've pretty much used one setting exclusively on it, and I knew it felt like a bit of a waste, as cool as that setting can be. After the discussion in here yesterday though, I went home and had a play with it and discovered a few more settings that I really like and can see myself using. I know it will take time to discover more and more in practical cases, but it's nice to be building it up a bit. :)

Hey Bs...can you please share the settings that you like to play?

Not used it for a while actually, but I think I use LFO.22-25 quite a bit, and then I started experimenting with some of the reverse and tape delay effects. There were some others too but I can't remember too well. Mainly tremolos and filters and stuff. Not had chance to use it lately, but when I get everything else sorted with the guitar, I'll use it a lot more again. Thinking of getting a Kaossilator at some point as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i just bought a kp 1, but it's like i can't activate the effects.- the little screen that indicates what effect i'm going to use, doesn't light up. i can get sound through it and turn the vol up and down and stuff. but yeah, i thought u maybe could help me? :)

i just bought a kp 1, but it's like i can't activate the effects.- the little screen that indicates what effect i'm going to use, doesn't light up. i can get sound through it and turn the vol up and down and stuff. but yeah, i thought u maybe could help me? :)

I'm not too familiar with the KP 1, but that's pretty strange. What happens when you touch the pad itself?

Not sure if this would help at all as there's not really any troubleshooting info, but in case you don't have it:

http://www.korg.co.uk/support/downloads/kp1_dl.php

I'm not too familiar with the KP 1, but that's pretty strange. What happens when you touch the pad itself?

Not sure if this would help at all as there's not really any troubleshooting info, but in case you don't have it:

http://www.korg.co.uk/support/downloads/kp1_dl.php

nothing happens when i touch he touchpad. - audio is going thought and all. the pad is is lighted up, but the effects wont work :/ - i have read the manual ...

• 3 months later...

I know Matt uses the Kaoss Pad 2 (KP2) in his setup, and uses a bunch of those presets in it for different songs. The KP2 is discontinued and harder to come by now, and I was curious, does the Kaoss Pad 3 have similar presets to the ones Matt Uses in the KP2?

Need to figure out if I should just find a KP3, or hunt until I find a KP2!

Cheers!

From what I remember, the KP3 was a big change in how it operated from the KP2 with more emphasis on tempo syncing and all that.

I can't imagine a KP2 is difficult to get hold of as there has been big changes in the technology used by it's intended target market.

I know Matt uses the Kaoss Pad 2 (KP2) in his setup, and uses a bunch of those presets in it for different songs. The KP2 is discontinued and harder to come by now, and I was curious, does the Kaoss Pad 3 have similar presets to the ones Matt Uses in the KP2?

Need to figure out if I should just find a KP3, or hunt until I find a KP2!

Cheers!

hunt if you want exact. kp3 is primarily effects, you might wanna consider kaosillator for synths

hunt if you want exact. kp3 is primarily effects, you might wanna consider kaosillator for synths

I don't need Exact settings to play SMBH from Resistance era kind of deal. I just am more looking to know if the KP3 contains some comparable effects to the KP2, where you can still get a cool KP2 style SMBH scratch solo or something. I know the KP3 has a ton of cool effects to modulate your sound, but searching for people doing muse style stuff with KP3 hasn't been overly successful!

So if just wanting the ability to do some of the styles Matt does with KP2, could I do so with KP3?

Cheers

I don't need Exact settings to play SMBH from Resistance era kind of deal. I just am more looking to know if the KP3 contains some comparable effects to the KP2, where you can still get a cool KP2 style SMBH scratch solo or something. I know the KP3 has a ton of cool effects to modulate your sound, but searching for people doing muse style stuff with KP3 hasn't been overly successful!

So if just wanting the ability to do some of the styles Matt does with KP2, could I do so with KP3?

Cheers

kp3 is pretty disappointing when i use it, kaosillator is more fun but it doesn't have the scratch stuff either

Know of any demos with the KP3 being used?

I don't remember it having much of the synth sounds like the KP2. The KP3 is definitely more aimed at DJs and electronic musicians and far superior a tool for that than the KP2, but for the dull as shit Muse style use, the KP2 is where it is at.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you factory reset a KP2? I've looked online and can't find anything. I've managed to get some delay mixed in with the synthy patches!

Yes you can do a factory reset..

Switch off your kp2.

Set fx loop switch on the back to fx loops.

Hold the Sample 1, 2 and rec/ stop buttons.

Switch on your kp2, while holding the buttons.

Display shows Pld

Now, release the buttons and press Tap/BPM button.

Now it is reset ;)

Somehow I don't think he does. Anyone have any pictures of his pedal/rack setup?

Maybe he has something else distorting it. I need to try that.

It looks like he does run his guitar through it, he is using the line in and out.

kaoss.jpg

How does everyone else put the KP2 into their setup? I just picked one up cheap and was playing with it... i felt some of the snyth sounds just don't sound even close to Matt's uses for them in SMBH and such. I only have tried it while plugging into the headphone jack and toying with the synths.

Do you need to adjust BMP for the synths?

What does everyone do for cables and placing it into their setup? Can I get a RCA -> 1/4" cable and run through the line in/out of just one side.. left/right like it appears matt does in the picture above?

Will be able to play more with filters and such with actual guitar when I finish my guitar build, but for now trying to just get some bellamy synth sounds.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0kAm0KT6dw

Almost certain guitar's running through it on that. BMP will affect the sounds you get obviously, or at least how much you can manipulate them. And I don't know why you're expecting all of the synths to sound like the ones he uses. He's only ever used 3 of them live as far as I'm aware.

Regarding the cables, you can either run through just one side or both, it will work in the same way. I have a spare 1/4" -> RCA Y cable if you'd like it? Are you based in the UK?

Almost certain guitar's running through it on that. BMP will affect the sounds you get obviously, or at least how much you can manipulate them. And I don't know why you're expecting all of the synths to sound like the ones he uses. He's only ever used 3 of them live as far as I'm aware.

Regarding the cables, you can either run through just one side or both, it will work in the same way. I have a spare 1/4" -> RCA Y cable if you'd like it? Are you based in the UK?

How much for the cable, If hes not interested in the cable I may well be! :awesome:

I appreciate the offer, but I am located in Canada, so it will much much easier, and cheaper to get locally.

As for the sound, I've tried some of the sounds Matt uses.. only played with it briefly, but 68 (Resistance Era SMBH solo) and 70 (New Born noise maker) just didn't seem to get the sound he did. 75 (Black holes era SMBH) seemed off too.. This made me wonder if BPM has any effect on these

I was also thinking, the adapter I have right now might be mono (the one I am using to plug head phones in), could this possible be the issue? I did a factory reset on the device to make sure that wasn't the issue.

70 (New Born noise maker) just didn't seem to get the sound he did.

Wasn't there a thread or post ages ago of someone complaining about this saying that their KP only went bzzzz and not bzzzzbzzzzzbzzzzzzz? :LOL:

Didn't think of that effect though - that makes a grand total of 4 he's used! :rolleyes:

And no problem about the cable, you're right, it'll be cheaper to get it there! D3adstar, still interested?

I think he might run his through a distorted amp and def adds some delay, reverb so that might help.

I wouldn't worry too much though, you'll get bored of those synth sounds after about 5 minutes...

I know using those exact things I would get bored quick, unless doing a cover or something. I just want to make sure I am getting the right sound out of the KP2 and it wasn't an issue with the device or how I had it set up.

Bs - He uses a couple KP effects.. 68 - resistance era kaoss jam/SMBH solo.. 69 Black holes era kaoss jam.. 70 New Born noises... 75 black holes era SMBH solo, 81 is Invincible, I found it interesting playing with 79, you could get a close sounding Plug In Baby Fuzz Factory oscillation sound toying with it (since my FF is on floor when I actually do have it in my chain and I'm not running amp modeling software). I am pretty sure there was a KP2 used for Exo-politics background synth noises as well.

But Bs - So you just run one RCA - 1/4" from effects chain -> White Line in, and then one RCA - 1/4" from white line out to where ever your chain goes next? Does the direct/fx loop have any effect for guitar uses?

Ah, I didn't think of Invincible too! That's 5 then, 6 if there are 2 different Kaoss Jams, I thought there was just one. Intriguing.

At the moment I have on one side of the KP line in...

Guitar -> Effects Pedals -> Amp -> Effects Pedals -> Kaossilator Pro -> Kaoss Pad

When my custom is done, the other side of the KP line in will have...

GR-55 -> RC-300 -> Kaoss Pad

And then I have a Y cable that links both line outs from the Kaoss Pad back into the amp...

But you can just run it all one one side (white or red or whatever) and it will work fine. The direct/fx loop is if you want it in series or not, which I think you do. From what I can remember you want it on the direct setting. FX loop option is more of a DJ thing I think. Should explain that in the manual if you have it. It does in mine somewhere.

Ah, I didn't think of Invincible too! That's 5 then, 6 if there are 2 different Kaoss Jams, I thought there was just one. Intriguing.

At the moment I have on one side of the KP line in...

Guitar -> Effects Pedals -> Amp -> Effects Pedals -> Kaossilator Pro -> Kaoss Pad

When my custom is done, the other side of the KP line in will have...

GR-55 -> RC-300 -> Kaoss Pad

And then I have a Y cable that links both line outs from the Kaoss Pad back into the amp...

But you can just run it all one one side (white or red or whatever) and it will work fine. The direct/fx loop is if you want it in series or not, which I think you do. From what I can remember you want it on the direct setting. FX loop option is more of a DJ thing I think. Should explain that in the manual if you have it. It does in mine somewhere.

Awesome! So would I be better off getting a LR RCA -> 1/4" Cable for the line out? Is there a reason you run that as opposed to just the one?

Archived