Anxyous

In your opinion, which is Matt's best vocal work?

IMO, he sounds phenomenal throughout The Resistance, and really shines through on Exogenesis, particularly Redemption.

But he's also awesome on older songs, such as Endlessly, Ruled by Secrecy and Hoodoo.

And I could go on...

But what do you think? :)

I think I read on the wiki that Spiral static is the song that features the biggest vocal range, so that deserves some recognition.

For studio recordings, the ending of Sing for Absolution has some very powerful notes that are very impressive and hard to reach. Unfortunately, so much so that he can't reach them live. :(

I think I read on the wiki that Spiral static is the song that features the biggest vocal range, so that deserves some recognition.

For studio recordings, the ending of Sing for Absolution has some very powerful notes that are very impressive and hard to reach. Unfortunately, so much so that he can't reach them live. :(

Spiral Static is utterly amazing vocally. :happy:

IMO, he sounds phenomenal throughout The Resistance, and really shines through on Exogenesis, particularly Redemption.

Freak out! When I read the title of this thread, I was gonna say the vocals in Redemption, too! Yesterday I was listening to it and I just thought, man, Matt's voice is really freakin' powerful in that.

It seems possible to me that he might have even had some vocal coaching prior to recording TR. Overall, he just sounds a bit more polished, like he's made some sort of effort to sound less nasally or whiny. Don't get me wrong, I love his voice on practically everything! I've just noticed a difference in the timbre of his vocals on TR.

I really like his vocals on CE, SfA, Falling Down, FAWY, Eternally Missed, I could go on and on....

Freak out! When I read the title of this thread, I was gonna say the vocals in Redemption, too! Yesterday I was listening to it and I just thought, man, Matt's voice is really freakin' powerful in that.

It seems possible to me that he might have even had some vocal coaching prior to recording TR. Overall, he just sounds a bit more polished, like he's made some sort of effort to sound less nasally or whiny. Don't get me wrong, I love his voice on practically everything! I've just noticed a difference in the timbre of his vocals on TR.

I really like his vocals on CE, SfA, Falling Down, FAWY, Eternally Missed, I could go on and on....

I agree. I Love love the Vocals on Guiding Light, they're incredible.

Of course, how could I forget Spiral Static? Amazing song...

He was at his best in the first two (arguably three) albums. It's gone a bit nasally since then and lost it's piercing, pure edge. Still awesome, but just not as good. You can really hear it for instance if you compare the Hullabaloo version of Unintended to the HAARP one. The HAARP one is dreadful by comparison. :noey:

He was at his best in the first two (arguably three) albums. It's gone a bit nasally since then and lost it's piercing, pure edge. Still awesome, but just not as good. You can really hear it for instance if you compare the Hullabaloo version of Unintended to the HAARP one. The HAARP one is dreadful by comparison. :noey:

Sure you aren't mixing up the albums now? :p

god yer, sing for abso. and spiral static... and my favourite megalomania :happy: aand... i belong to you aand.. theres a moment i really like one of the showbiz songs but i cant remember without listening to it..

oh.

and execution commentary :awesome::LOL:

but no, on a serious note, i doubt they would / could ever make another one like that.

Actually I don't think he has much problem with the powerful notes. I think he has sometimes struggled a bit with the more subtle stuff, but I don't think he would have much problem with Sing for Absolution, hearing his current voice. I would say Unnatural Selection is probably my favourite at the moment because of the live performance in which he had a really stunning, knock you back vocal on the powerful notes but overall he's putting in some strong vocal performances. The only new song I haven't always been so sure about live is Eurasia but maybe that is pretty challenging.

From the DVDs of live performances I think he's always been very consistent, and the live version is very close to the recorded version, but I do think that he might have had some vocal training before this album because his singing is more distinct, the individual notes are more separate. I couldn't have imagined that Undisclosed Desires would have suited him before but he sings it brilliantly. I think he has an absolutely gorgeous voice. Very sexy! I don't know much about the skills of singing, myself, but he might have just needed a bit of advice on the technical side, even though he's always appeared to be very good at moving up and down his range. I suppose just on using his voice properly so that he can sustain it through their heavy schedule. A lot of singers have ongoing vocal training.

His singing in I Belong to You is phenomenal.

Indeed it is.:happy:

I just came back to say ignore my last post as I think I'm largely talking crap! I don't think his voice sounds that different on The Resistance to BHaR. I think it's just that the songs have different styles.

I think Matt's singing on I Belong To You is his best vocal yet. Not just from technical point of view, but also in terms of feeling and tenderness he brings to the song. To be honest, prior to The Resistance I wouldn't have called Matt one of my favourite singers though his vocals are unquestionably perfect for their music. After the new album he definitely is, and I can't wait to see how he develops his singing on next albums.

Actually I don't think he has much problem with the powerful notes. I think he has sometimes struggled a bit with the more subtle stuff, but I don't think he would have much problem with Sing for Absolution, hearing his current voice. I would say Unnatural Selection is probably my favourite at the moment because of the live performance in which he had a really stunning, knock you back vocal on the powerful notes but overall he's putting in some strong vocal performances. The only new song I haven't always been so sure about live is Eurasia but maybe that is pretty challenging.

From the DVDs of live performances I think he's always been very consistent, and the live version is very close to the recorded version, but I do think that he might have had some vocal training before this album because his singing is more distinct, the individual notes are more separate. I couldn't have imagined that Undisclosed Desires would have suited him before but he sings it brilliantly. I think he has an absolutely gorgeous voice. Very sexy! I don't know much about the skills of singing, myself, but he might have just needed a bit of advice on the technical side, even though he's always appeared to be very good at moving up and down his range. I suppose just on using his voice properly so that he can sustain it through their heavy schedule. A lot of singers have ongoing vocal training.

I agree that Matt's very good at making good performances, but the one specific part of SFA I was talking about was the ending: "And our souls won't be exhumed". In the studio recording, he moves up the scale brilliantly, ending with a gorgeous powerful pitch in "exhumed". However, all live recordings I've seen of SFA, he jumps up an octave to take it in falsetto, which makes it lose much of its power, at least in my opinion. If he has had vocal training though, we'll see if he pulls it off on this tour though. :eek:

Archived