Anxyous

What the f*ck is the point in argumenting when no one is listening? :rolleyes:

Maybe it's something to do with the way you are conducting the argument!:p:LOL:

How about Micro Cuts? Cant tell if its falsetto or not, but the performance in Hullaballo was sure as eargasmic

It certainly is!:D I don't know. Tbh I'm not qualified enough to be able to contribute fully to an argument. It's just something I wonder about. People call Matt's high voice falsetto, but as far as I understand, falsetto is a technique to sing higher than normal range and is quite soft and weaker than normal voice, whereas supposedly Matt has smaller than average vocal cords for a male and is able to reach that range naturally, so maybe it's different.

It could be just microphone distortion that makes it sound different of course. But when he does sing in the Microcuts range it appears to be half singing half screaming to me. There's nothing wrong with that, he's singing rock songs. Whether there is any difference to the mechanics of singing and screaming I don't know, probably not. I think maybe Matt just pushes it to the extreme and turns it into a scream, but not an unpleasant scream, a powerful throaty scream! :D

y'know? (looks around nervously) I think Matt's voice has significantly improved over the course of time, and I have to say that the Sampson & Delilah excerpt and Redemption show the best vocals. I know I'm going to get beaten, raped, and/or murdered, but I think Showbiz and even some of OoS is a bit sloppy with vocals.

I completely agree. Not that I don't love Showbix and OoS but he has definitely had some training between BH&R and the Resistance. Just his breathing on songs is so much better. On previous albums you can hear him gasping between lines, now it's much more concealed and his vocals are much clearer and stronger.

Maybe it's something to do with the way you are conducting the argument!:p:LOL:

It certainly is!:D I don't know. Tbh I'm not qualified enough to be able to contribute fully to an argument. It's just something I wonder about. People call Matt's high voice falsetto, but as far as I understand, falsetto is a technique to sing higher than normal range and is quite soft and weaker than normal voice, whereas supposedly Matt has smaller than average vocal cords for a male and is able to reach that range naturally, so maybe it's different.

It could be just microphone distortion that makes it sound different of course. But when he does sing in the Microcuts range it appears to be half singing half screaming to me. There's nothing wrong with that, he's singing rock songs. Whether there is any difference to the mechanics of singing and screaming I don't know, probably not. I think maybe Matt just pushes it to the extreme and turns it into a scream, but not an unpleasant scream, a powerful throaty scream! :D

Okay, I will try not to sound so angry, and maybe someone will listen ;)

If his high screams would have been chest or head voice then he would sound like that when talking. Normally people use their chest voice to talk, and trying to get any higher will get you in either head voice or falsetto. And if you try to scream in a high voice, that WILL get you in the falsetto register. If you want to hear Matt screaming in head or chest voice, check out the live versions of Hyper Music, and if you want his falsetto screams, check out the clip from Bliss.

If his high screams would have been chest or head voice then he would sound like that when talking.

Yeah that's one thing I wondered about because he has said he has got unusually small vocal cords but in fact he has quite a deep, undisputably male, speaking voice. Obviously there are other contributing factors which we won't go into :p:LOL: and I understand about chest voice, but I just can't quite get my head round the idea that he can sing high because of the small vocal cords in relation to falsetto, because I understood falsetto is something men can achieve whatever the size of their vocal cords and is supposed to sound a bit weak as their are different mechanics involved. That is why I mentioned SMBH because when he sings "alight" that sounds like the peak of a normal male falsetto where it wobbles a bit. However Microcuts and the powerful screams he uses on various songs sound to me like something different. Maybe the small vocal cords make him better at falsetto or maybe he is using his head voice which is unusually high. Incidentally Matt's voice never sounds female to me whatever the pitch. And he has got an extraordinary voice. I'm not criticising, I'm just curious.

Way too analytical, sorry that's me!:$ I really need to get on and do something useful!:LOL:

He may have been loved up in Unintended as well. How can we know its a "token love song". Apparently he had lots more. I think both songs are fantastic actually. Obviously the operatic style of some bits of IBTY gives it more scope for singing with passion but Unintended still comes over to me as heartfelt.

may have been loved up.. but not I'MMA MARRY YOU loved up lol.. but i dont think im qualified enough talk on the subject of love..

and yeah i think they're both awesome songs, unintended is like simple enough for you to assume the feeling in it but IBTY leaves nothing to the imagination :LOL:

Matts vocals in The Resistance are without a doubt some of his best :happy:

I was listening to Citizen Erased the other day, after listening to not much muse but TR for a while and thought that the vocals were noticably weaker than they have been lately

and now that you point it out, i realise that there isnt his usual gasps in between lines!

If you also listen to adult male altos in the classical genre, good ones also have a powerful head voice.

I agree with everyone about the raw quality of Matt's voice (and the music, too) of earlier albums. his voice sounds like a well honed instrument on the Resistance. It's interesting to hear the evolution of his performance over the years.

I reckon Matt's singing has gotten better with The Resistance. His voice still sounds the same but the way he controls it is such a vast improvement since Showbiz. You can really hear the difference, in my opinion.

Having said that, I LOVE Matt's voice on 'Falling Down'. I don't even know why.

I reckon Matt's singing has gotten better with The Resistance. His voice still sounds the same but the way he controls it is such a vast improvement since Showbiz. You can really hear the difference, in my opinion.

YEAH. pure emotion <3

I kinda miss the gasping though. And the shouty screamy stuff he used to pull off, that sounded like he was having a full-on tantrum. Like in Darkshines and Falling Down. Aww.

Really? I find that really irritating, as a result I don't really like those songs.

He was at his best in the first two (arguably three) albums. It's gone a bit nasally since then and lost it's piercing, pure edge. Still awesome, but just not as good. You can really hear it for instance if you compare the Hullabaloo version of Unintended to the HAARP one. The HAARP one is dreadful by comparison. :noey:

is it not just a different key?

I kinda miss the gasping though. And the shouty screamy stuff he used to pull off, that sounded like he was having a full-on tantrum. Like in Darkshines and Falling Down. Aww.

I love the unedited breathing too.

Falling Down is one of my favorites. It's very Joplin-esque.

Really? I find that really irritating, as a result I don't really like those songs.

Really? i kinda liked the gasping as well.. think it added to the emotion and rawness and shiz. he sounds more.. 'i'm singing, because it's a song, and this is how you sing.' nowadays after his 'singing lessons' rather than, i dunno lol 'i'm singing, because i wanna let it out' though i'm guessing irl he's mostly singing 'because it's a song' :LOL: but y'know what i mean

*ramble*

YEAH. pure emotion <3

:awesome: more falling down lovers! have you heard the recording of it from melbourne abc studios? http://www.microcuts.net/uk/download/2000.php (down the bottom of that page). By far one of my favorite performances - he was most likely on something - but the emotion he puts into it is just incredible. very tom waits in parts haha

Really? i kinda liked the gasping as well.. think it added to the emotion and rawness and shiz. he sounds more.. 'i'm singing, because it's a song, and this is how you sing.' nowadays after his 'singing lessons' rather than, i dunno lol 'i'm singing, because i wanna let it out' though i'm guessing irl he's mostly singing 'because it's a song' :LOL: but y'know what i mean

*ramble*

I understand, but I think it's good that his voice has developed a bit. It hasn't changed completely, and his current style is more appropriate for the more grandiose sounds and themes that they've been using from Absolution onwards. The high, hysterical-sounding tone was good for the angst of Showbiz and craziness of OoS though. I like the gasping too; it does seem to add to the overall effect. But I'll probably get over it. :)

:awesome: more falling down lovers! have you heard the recording of it from melbourne abc studios? http://www.microcuts.net/uk/download/2000.php (down the bottom of that page). By far one of my favorite performances - he was most likely on something - but the emotion he puts into it is just incredible. very tom waits in parts haha

Oh YUM, yeah I love that version! Wow. Nom nom. "Yes it's all true, all the rumours, they're true." :happy: AWWW. OMG. And to think he didn't even know what blues were when he wrote that. Awww. Agitated from that same session is amazing too :LOL:

Oh YUM, yeah I love that version! Wow. Nom nom. "Yes it's all true, all the rumours, they're true." :happy: AWWW. OMG. And to think he didn't even know what blues were when he wrote that. Awww. Agitated from that same session is amazing too :LOL:

Yeah everything from that gig is amazing - cave is so epic - I think form memory i think its the second chorus where he bends into the high A (chorus note) that is just so amazing - i wish he'd done that more.

Archived