Anxyous

Oh, and just a comment on whether or not Matt gets better or gets worse at singing as he ages, I'm definitely going with getting better. Here's a comparison of dead star: First at Le Zenith (Hullabaloo) in 2001, then at V festival in 2008. In Hullabaloo he sounds much less controlled, more highpitched (nasal?). At V he sounds perfectly in charge of his own voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIFvPMgvbC0&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj_RzPbYTaA&fmt=18

Both good performances but I think in all honesty that the earlier performance is better of this particular song because he appears to feeling it more in the earlier performance, the later one appearing to be more of a performance, and an attempt to replicate the feeling of an old performance which therefore makes it come over more forced. It's also noticeable that Chris is replacing Matt in the higher bits.

However Matt's voice has been absolutely fantastic in the new songs. At a lower key, the powerful notes have been absolutely stunning. I think this just makes a case for the fact that they've got to be allowed to move on. I think that performances of old songs have the danger of ending up a shadow of their former selves, both because the emotional involvement is less and because Matt's voice has matured, whereas performances of new songs are going to allow Matt to use his voice in a way which suits where he is now which results in a powerful vocal. They have spoken before about restyling the older songs and doing them in a way that suits them now, and I think this would be good but I wish there wasn't a constant harping back to the past. Twenty year old Matt has gone forever, I'm afraid, but has been replaced with a brilliant alternative!:)

PS Best vocal work Live - Unnatural Selection - stunning!

Recorded - IBTY French opera and the IBTY bits - awesome!

Personally, I think Matt's voice does change with each album, but in a good way. If he sang like he did on OoS or Showbiz for songs like Unnatural Selection or IBTY, it just wouldn't sound right, in the same way that the way he sings on TR wouldn't fit songs like Falling Down or Cave.

Listening to Absolution right now is making me think that this whole album is his best vocal work, even though I love all of it. Every song sounds really beautiful - his voice is more controlled than on OoS or Showbiz but he still lets go at points which he doesn't do as much on BHAR or TR.

Best Vocal Work From Each Album:

Showbiz - Falling Down

Origin of Symmetry - Megalomania

Hullabaloo - Shrinking Universe

Absolution - Blackout

Black Holes and Revelations - City of Delusion

The Resistance - Unnatural Selection

Listening to Uprising for example, the backing vocals, (or the first part of Exo-Genesis) it doesn't sound like he has any problems with the higher notes these days either. He was born with the unique ability, it doesn't go away just like that. Just check out the recent KoC performance from Teignmouth, WOW. He's still got the skill. And it sounds even better than in the past.

Overture sounds fantastic but its recorded so we don't know yet how it will sound live. I listened to a 2005 recording of Microcuts and he did struggle a bit with it at one point, bless his heart! For me his stunning performances in the lower register, which are a lot more powerful than they ever have been before in the past, make up for any loss he may have in the higher register. Equally I may be wrong and he may not have any loss in the higher register, it's just a possibility that concerns me when people go on and on about the "falsetto". It would be a shame if he felt he was being pushed into a corner vocally, when he has the capacity for really strong, powerful, vocals in a lower key. His vocal was awesome at Teignmouth, really pure, rich and rounded. Much better than V imo.

I've just been watching HARPP. I haven't watched it for ages, and I want to take back any comments I made about Matt possibly not being able to get the high notes any more because at Wembley he used his high voice many times and appeared to have no problem at all getting the notes.

I think spending time on here and getting caught up in the off stage stuff, his quirky personality, which I love by the way, and his modesty, and with all the constant mixed reactions to everything Muse do, it is easy at times to lose sight of what a phenomenal talent Matt is. Watching him perform is amazing. He's awesome! End of!:D

I've just been watching HARPP. I haven't watched it for ages, and I want to take back any comments I made about Matt possibly not being able to get the high notes any more because at Wembley he used his high voice many times and appeared to have no problem at all getting the notes.

I think spending time on here and getting caught up in the off stage stuff, his quirky personality, which I love by the way, and his modesty, and with all the constant mixed reactions to everything Muse do, it is easy at times to lose sight of what a phenomenal talent Matt is. Watching him perform is amazing. He's awesome! End of!:D

I guess you didn't notice that he avoided the high notes in Micro Cuts in that performance.

:LOL: theyre not that modest anymore either.

Why do you think they're not modest anymore? I still think they're modest. I mean blimey they have every reason not to be, but they always come over as sweet, self effacing guys to me.

The only time I noticed they didn't sound so modest was in one of the American written interviews but I think that may well have been down to editing, since it seemed out of character with every other interview.

Why do you think they're not modest anymore? I still think they're modest. I mean blimey they have every reason not to be, but they always come over as sweet, self effacing guys to me.

The only time I noticed they didn't sound so modest was in one of the American written interviews but I think that may well have been down to editing, since it seemed out of character with every other interview.

def. not arrogant just not modest.. or maybe i have a different view of whats modest and whats not.. they still are pretty modest then, just less, and with good reason :yesey::D

omg

anyone else find his voice just amazing on the taratata stuff? i'm havin a bit of a spaff over that.. they sound fantastic..

He did sound fantastic yes!:D

On the modesty thing, I don't know, I just think they're the same as they've always been.:) They appear to enjoy being appreciated and appear quite joyful when they're happy with their own performance. I think that's nice.:) To me it means they're not taking any of it for granted.:)

I guess you didn't notice that he avoided the high notes in Micro Cuts in that performance.

I listened and apart from possibly the Wembley one starting slower I find it difficult to hear any significant difference tbh between HARPP and Hullaballo.

I listened and apart from possibly the Wembley one starting slower I find it difficult to hear any significant difference tbh between HARPP and Hullaballo.

Well, I can start by saying that he didn't even try to sing the highest note in the song, instead he let the guitar take it ;)

No I don't think so! If you listen properly you can hear him singing. The guitar is just louder that's all.

So the fact that he isn't even near a mic has nothing to do with it? :rolleyes:

I listened to it just now and there are at least 2 times where he don't reach as high as for example Hullabaloo, but that doesn't prove anything, but it is a fact that he doesn't even bother trying to reach the last and highest note.

Micro Cuts has always been, no matter what anyone says, a bunch of screaming in the chorus. I'd say it's a very poor example of Matt's true singing ability.

Archived