Anxyous

I think the 'rawness' and 'character' is still there, despite the better presentation

for example the 'please me' in UD almost sounds spat out, as if he 'cant hold it back anymore'...not to mention the raw ' I can't hurt you anymore' from GL, theres still 'character' to the vocals despite his vocal control improving:happy:

I think the 'rawness' and 'character' is still there, despite the better 'presentation'

for example the 'please me' in UD almost sounds spat out, as if he 'cant hold it back anymore'... theres still 'character' to the vocals despite his vocal control improving:happy:

:yesey:

His gasping hasn't gone away completely. It's pretty prominent in Uprising and Mon Coeur S'ouvre A Ta Voix.

:yesey:

His gasping hasn't gone away completely. It's pretty prominent in Uprising and Mon Coeur S'ouvre A Ta Voix.

Yah, but if you compare it to songs like Micro Cuts or Dead Star or Sober its like nothing. I dont think its just the gasping other, theres something different about his voice since BH&R, his voice sounds a lot more... open and grand, like he's singing from the very very very bottom of his diaphragm, we dont hear a lot of that suppressed emotional kinda sound anymore if this makes sense :D

i prefer the earlier voice, but i guess Matt has to sing the way he does to suit the change of style musically...

my post doesnt make any sense at all does it? :unsure:

Best Vocal Work in a live performance right here:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRCBBLtrrKs&feature=channel_page[/YT]

can't get over it. Its simply amazing.

Personally I think he's come on leaps and bounds since then and his voice currently is the most powerful and well controlled it's ever been.:)

I think in the earlier songs, though good, his vocals blended with the instrumentation. In the latest album his vocal is richer and more upfront, more distinct overall and amazing live, particularly surprising when you consider he never set out to be a vocalist. Muse have been very lucky there! :D

Yah, but if you compare it to songs like Micro Cuts or Dead Star or Sober its like nothing. I dont think its just the gasping other, theres something different about his voice since BH&R, his voice sounds a lot more... open and grand, like he's singing from the very very very bottom of his diaphragm, we dont hear a lot of that suppressed emotional kinda sound anymore if this makes sense :D

i prefer the earlier voice, but i guess Matt has to sing the way he does to suit the change of style musically...

my post doesnt make any sense at all does it? :unsure:

It makes perfect sense. :)

It all depends on the character he's trying to portray, really. These days it feels like he has more confidence in what he can do with his voice, which is cool because he's more willing to try different vocal styles. I can understand people missing all of those emotional aspects of Showbiz and Origin, but I think they were the only eras where those aspects would have suited them.

On another note, this thread keeps making me think of this: http://www.microcuts.net/uk/news/archives/01252005-muse_borderline_v3.php

mmm i agree except i'd much rather them do that, than concentrate too hard on lights and set design and shiz.. much as it does suit their studio sound it just isn't right for what everyone knows live muse are or were.. but that's o.t. haha.

edit- and damnit i need to go get my headphones so i can listen to this stuff..

He was at his best in the first two (arguably three) albums. It's gone a bit nasally since then and lost it's piercing, pure edge. Still awesome, but just not as good. You can really hear it for instance if you compare the Hullabaloo version of Unintended to the HAARP one. The HAARP one is dreadful by comparison. :noey:

THIS ! No comparison !

MICROCUTS, Showbiz, Sing for Absolution, Host, Exogenesis and yes, Spiral Static

(wait ! just realised that these are the five songs I put on another thread ! :D:D) But this is very restrictive 'coz I never heard him singing in another way than the BEST way:happy:

mmm i agree except i'd much rather them do that, than concentrate too hard on lights and set design and shiz.. much as it does suit their studio sound it just isn't right for what everyone knows live muse are or were.. but that's o.t. haha.

I think the big sets are also part of who they are too though. Matt was talking in something or other about not being afraid to be flamboyant and I think innovative design of the set is all part of what he wants to do. Maybe Matt would feel frustrated if he couldn't be imaginitive and develop all aspects of the performance. Personally I can't see anything wrong with it. They've always tried to be innovative haven't they?

I love this thread! It's what a fan forum should be about. I'm not talking about a 'Love Boat' for Matt. Rather, an attempt to examine and validate the very reasons we obsess over the music. I'm still a "new" Muser, and this thread is sort of a guide for me. So, thank you!:happy:

Oh, and just a comment on whether or not Matt gets better or gets worse at singing as he ages, I'm definitely going with getting better. Here's a comparison of dead star: First at Le Zenith (Hullabaloo) in 2001, then at V festival in 2008. In Hullabaloo he sounds much less controlled, more highpitched (nasal?). At V he sounds perfectly in charge of his own voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIFvPMgvbC0&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj_RzPbYTaA&fmt=18

Matt's definitely getting better and the range in his voice is getting wider. Just listen to the slow part of Unnatural Selection where he hits the lowest notes like never before. And then there's the nice add of a beautiful vibrato in the French part/English slow part right after it. His voice is only getting stronger the older he grows. There are many examples about this recently.

Listening to Uprising for example, the backing vocals, (or the first part of Exo-Genesis) it doesn't sound like he has any problems with the higher notes these days either. He was born with the unique ability, it doesn't go away just like that. Just check out the recent KoC performance from Teignmouth, WOW. He's still got the skill. And it sounds even better than in the past.

Archived